Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I may have screwed my carb. Literally. (Read 285 times)
Wayneg561
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Palm Beach, FL
I think I may have screwed my carb. Literally.
05/24/12 at 14:28:18

Hello suzuki savage forum members. This is my first post here. I bought an 86 savage about a year ago, the bike always ran well enough to get me where I needed to go. The main problem I had is that it would never idle. So I tried messing around with the idle air mixture screw, but that did not cure my problem. About a week ago I tried to adjust it again but the screwdriver I used was too small and stripped the pilot screw. I drilled a hole in it and tried to get it with an easy out, but the easy out broke off in my pilot screw. Should I just scrap this carb? If any of you have a stock take off to sell I would greatly appreciate it, this bike is my only transportation. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I think I may have screwed my carb. Literally.
Reply #1 - 05/24/12 at 14:41:14

A guy just did this with a pilot jet...  
Take a good sharp-edged Phillips screwdriver and tap it into the brass screw with a few sharp hammer taps... then unscrew... (hopefully, it will push the easyout down far enough into the brass to bite)...
Last resort before chucking the carb...

Might let others post ideas first,.. before resorting to this... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wayneg561
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Palm Beach, FL
Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 19:29:17

I have already tried this method to no avail I wholley believe that my carburetor is without a chance of saving . I believe that my only hope would be a stock take off carb that someone wants to sell or a brand new mikuni carb kiot from lancer if he can pm me with the info and price that would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 05/25/12 at 05:28:13

It's just a brass screw so it's gonna be fixable, once you fish all of the old one out Cheesy

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 05/25/12 at 05:45:36

I did this same thing a few months ago. I tried filing down a screwdriver so that i could hit it into the screw to get a grip on it and ended up tearing the threads off the carb and pounding the brass screw even deeper in.

At this point I was frustrated, so I ended up buying a mikuni VM38 (though I think the VM36 is actually better for the savage. wish I had known that then).

It was around $90 for the carb, maybe $20 for jets, and $40 to $50 for a throttle cable for the carb. I've been tweaking the carb here and there to get it jetted properly (which it still isn't because I'm slow and really only dig into it if it leaves me stranded) but midrange seems a lot better.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/25/12 at 06:27:16

Epoxy a dowel to it & unscrew it. 5 minute devcon,, not duro,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/25/12 at 07:27:58

Quote:
I wholley believe that my carburetor is without a chance of saving
------------------------------------------------------------------
If I had to decipher this statement farther, I'd say that he has ruined the carb itself, much more than just the screw Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Wayneg561
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Palm Beach, FL
Reply #7 - 05/25/12 at 08:08:45

Yes I wish I could get to the screw but now I have a screwed up screw and an easy out broke off into it. I would drill out the whole thing but I don't want to ruin the pilot screw threads. Is there any way to make the hole bigger and tap it for a new pilot screw? I am seriously considering replacing the carb at this point it seems like a good amount of work to fix mine.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 05/25/12 at 08:18:44

If I recall correctly, there is 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of carb body you can cut/shave off to get close to the screw as that section of carb body just served as a seat for the plug covering the screw.

These air mixture screws are very particularly shaped and sized, drilling and rethreading the hole would not work.

I think folk have had better luck using left handed drill bits (reverse thread bits) getting screws out. they drill in just like normal bits but also turn the screw out at the same time. Try soaking that screw in some penetrating oil/lube (WD40 or something similar) overnight and attack it with the largest diameter left handed drill bit you can fit in there.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/25/12 at 08:46:12

I got mine out using these- Smiley-

But I didn't have an easy out broken off in mine.. :'(

How did you break an easy out in brass? Huh

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Wayneg561
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Palm Beach, FL
Reply #10 - 05/25/12 at 09:23:21

I was using a small easy out and it just stripped the brass so i tried a larger size and it broke I guess the easy outs I was using were cheap that set looks like it would have actually worked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/25/12 at 10:20:17

If I can turn a screw with a pocket screwdriver, I can epoxy a sick on it & back it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/25/12 at 10:28:05

Oh, they work! Just another fine H-F product. I've used them a number of times. They worked great on the master cylinder cover screws on 3 different bikes now. A squirt of PB Blaster & the heat generated as it screws in pops them right out.  They work better than any easy out I've ever had, & I've had a lot. I have more "trick" tools for dealing with rusted, ruined fasteners than some people have tools period.
Grin

This is just part of my collection of tools for "dificult" fasteners. These are the ones I've found to work best. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/25/12 at 11:13:56

How do you like those backwards socket ones? They look appealing but I haven't pulled the trigger on 'em yet.

--Steve

IP Logged
Wayneg561
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Palm Beach, FL
Reply #14 - 05/25/12 at 12:28:00

Here is a few pics one of my bike as it sits and another of the hackjob i did on my carb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:50:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I may have screwed my carb. Literally.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.