New tire question? (Read 98 times)
deepvalley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New tire question?
05/24/12 at 12:37:30

Ok guys and gals,
  I am now riding and was looking at my rear tire.  I am going to need tires by the end of the season.  I have three questions, first what is the best tire on the market for a Savage carrying a 240lb. man around with an occational 110lb. lady with me.  Considering cost and reliability as well as traction.  And second if I stick with factory replacement tires, which are IRC Grand high speed GS-18F on the front and IRC Grand High SpeedGS-18R on the rear, am I sacrificing performance by not going with another brand?  And finally is there a better size tire I could get that would fit and give me a better ride without changing rims?  I have 100/90-19 on the front and 140/80-15 on the rear.  I ride a lot of curvy roads in the mountains but also use my bike as a daily commuter and hit the interstate highway often as well.  Any advise would be appreciated! Undecided

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: New tire question?
Reply #1 - 05/24/12 at 13:03:36

The stock tires to me were bad tires for handling and stability,I put on pirelli 66 route a big improvement  over the stock tires plus they ride a lot smoother.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 13:16:18

i put nearly 7K miles on Kenda Challengers F & R after replacing the factory originals that were dry rotted/worn out + went up to 140/90 on the rear made the speedo read more acurate as well - p.s. I was 430+ when i started riding the bike and was at 350 when I sold it a month ago.....and the tires were still like new.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/24/12 at 13:31:58

Approx how many miles do you ride in a typical year? Many people on here change from the stock IRC and claim improved performance. You can spend the $$$ on Metz if you ride high miles, where you "might" wear out the tire before dry rot sets in...or you can save some $ on another brand if you ride less.  

I swapped my stock IRC for a set of Shinko 712 and I couldn't be happier  Smiley

For more options, you can swap the stock rear for the 140/90-15 (I did too) but you might have to swap a couple of bolts that hold the saddlebag brackets to mushroom head bolts to avoid tearing up your new tires.  Shocked

Whatever you decide, remember to take it easy the first 100 miles or so, those tires will be slick at first.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 05/24/12 at 16:28:40

I'm suggesting Metzeler ME880 touring (stock sizes for front and rear), they have super strong sidewalls, sticky.. I've been riding mine like crazy and they still have the knobbys.. my Shinko 777s would be dead by now, and the IRCs dry rotted... kinda pricey but if you can get your dealership to match an online price minus the shipping they're worth every penny.

IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #5 - 05/24/12 at 17:31:57

I 2nd the Pirelli 66 tires.. Been driving with those for over 2000 miles and no complaints..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New tire question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.