Stock Savage Seats (Read 333 times)
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Re: Stock Savage Seats
Reply #15 - 05/25/12 at 06:02:23

teabowl13 wrote on 05/24/12 at 15:56:26:
What you might try, if you like the Shadow seat, is take the cover and padding of of the sock seat you have, then take the foam and cover off of the Shadow seat, and try to re-shape the bottom of the shadow seat foam to see if you can get that onto the Savage seat pan; probably be able to use the Shadow seat cover and staple it over.
Chances are that seat is longer too, as well as wider. Might take some surgery, but worth a look.

I had not thought about this.......very interesting idea.  most of the molding and shaping would be at the bottom, and the cover from the new seat should have enough extra material to get staples in.  Good thinkin Teabowl.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #16 - 05/25/12 at 06:50:39

bess227 wrote on 05/25/12 at 06:00:01:
rfw2003 wrote on 05/24/12 at 20:27:44:
The Leather Corbin seat really isn't a bad price.  Total cost for me shipped was $314 and they are pretty through in asking questions such as height, weight, and inseam so they can shape the seat and pad the seat correctly.  I haven't received mine yet as they just shipped it out today but then again I just ordered it a few days ago, so turn around time is great as well.

R.F.

Did you order it straight from the Corbin site?   I would love to know how that works out after you have several miles in that new seat. I have looked at them a couple of times.  That is why I did the mod to my stock seat.

They actually mold themselves to your posterior. Takes about 1000 mi for the whole molding process. They are far more comfortable than stock right out of the box. The first day I rode mine I had my wallet in it's usual place in my left hip pocket, and rode for an hour without stopping. My left buttock got sore. After I moved the wallet to my coat pocket I rode for another hour with no problem, then 2 hrs back home with a nice cumfy bum.
The pillion is about 2" wider than stock, and flat, not rounded as the stock pillion is. I have it on good authority that the pillion is much more comfy too.
The driver's seat has more lower back support, and you don't feel like your sliding forward during hard braking, or back during hard acceleration.
It looks good too- follows the line of the tank.
I've put 3500 or so miles on mine and I don't even know it's there anymore, and the leather on the top panels has held up well, and the vinyl on the sides looks new.
I have arthritis in my hips, and it used to be quite painful to ride for any distance at all. Not any more. Smiley

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 05/25/12 at 15:14:59

The Leather Corbin seat really isn't a bad price.  Total cost for me shipped was $314 and they are pretty through in asking questions such as height, weight, and inseam so they can shape the seat and pad the seat correctly.  I haven't received mine yet as they just shipped it out today but then again I just ordered it a few days ago, so turn around time is great as well.

R.F.

Did you order it straight from the Corbin site?   I would love to know how that works out after you have several miles in that new seat. I have looked at them a couple of times.  That is why I did the mod to my stock seat.

Yes I ordered straight from Corbin's site.  I will give a little review once I receive it and put a few miles on it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 05/25/12 at 15:17:22

arteacher wrote on 05/25/12 at 06:50:39:

R.F.

They actually mold themselves to your posterior. Takes about 1000 mi for the whole molding process. They are far more comfortable than stock right out of the box. The first day I rode mine I had my wallet in it's usual place in my left hip pocket, and rode for an hour without stopping. My left buttock got sore. After I moved the wallet to my coat pocket I rode for another hour with no problem, then 2 hrs back home with a nice cumfy bum.
The pillion is about 2" wider than stock, and flat, not rounded as the stock pillion is. I have it on good authority that the pillion is much more comfy too.
The driver's seat has more lower back support, and you don't feel like your sliding forward during hard braking, or back during hard acceleration.
It looks good too- follows the line of the tank.
I've put 3500 or so miles on mine and I don't even know it's there anymore, and the leather on the top panels has held up well, and the vinyl on the sides looks new.
I have arthritis in my hips, and it used to be quite painful to ride for any distance at all. Not any more. Smiley

That is great news to my ears.  Tells me that my money was well spent in this little upgrade.  Grin

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/25/12 at 16:58:32

I went for a 150-175 mile ride today and had a thought while I was riding. The shadow seat has 3 studs on the back of it. The front has the same type of mount as the stock seat. What if I took some flat stock and mounted it to the studs on the shadow seat & then bent it around so it would mount at the 2 bolts at the front of the sissy bar mount. I had to do a little trimming on the bottom of the pan but it looks like it just might work. Just need some longer bolts for the sissy bar mount, they aren't long enough to go through the flat stock. I will posts some pics if it works. Cool Cool

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/25/12 at 17:03:40

I only gave $500.00 for the bike with only 210 miles on it so I'm trying to keep from spending a lot on it. I feel it is more enjoyable for me to fabricate something then to pay a bunch of dough for something that is already made. I guess that's the 26 years of turning wrenches for a living talking.

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/27/12 at 11:38:39

That idea was a brain fart but I did take Tebowl13's suggestion. I know it doesn't look that good but it sure does make my back side feel better. I am looking for someone to shape cover it properly.

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/27/12 at 11:44:07

Here's the pic.

2012-05-26_10_38_53.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/27/12 at 11:58:30

Sometimes a guy can get stuff like that done at a small upholstery shop for just a little $$.. YOu mite go for a ride & visit a few & see what kinda deal you can make. Ive gotten some good deals before.. sometimes its as simple as offering to sweep up & carry trash out while they do whatever ya need done,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/27/12 at 15:30:38

I just put around 50 miles on that seat and no pain in the backside. I think I will see what I can do to beef up the rear seat now, as I have the rear Shadow seat also. Maybe the wife would share my enjoyment of riding if the rear seat was more comfortable. Kiss

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:18:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Savage Seats

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.