Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stock Savage Seats (Read 333 times)
BobWd
Ex Member

Stock Savage Seats
05/24/12 at 09:18:12

Are there certain stock seats that are more comfortable than others? I have an '04 and have already done the front raising mod but, if I am on the bike for more than 30 minutes, my butt starts going numb. I have been trying to find out about the sportster seats, which ones will fit, but haven't received any replies. Also, my wife won't ride with me because the back seat is uncomfortable to her. Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stock Savage Seats
Reply #1 - 05/24/12 at 09:20:59

BobWd wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:18:12:
Also, my wife won't ride with me because the back seat is uncomfortable to her. Undecided Undecided

...and that's a bad thing?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 09:41:59

I am giving up on the seats.. I have found a man that normally repairs boat seats to completely redo mine.. he is a formmer bike rider.. and could see the problem pretty quick.

Expected cost for memory foam, and both seats to be covered ~$100.

Pics when I get it back.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/24/12 at 10:59:51

Serowbot wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:20:59:
BobWd wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:18:12:
Also, my wife won't ride with me because the back seat is uncomfortable to her. Undecided Undecided

...and that's a bad thing?... Huh...

I'd rather see pics of the wife before the seat.

--Steve

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #4 - 05/24/12 at 12:35:10

I had the same problem on my 07 S40. Some of mine was due to my height (6'1), and I needed some more "reach" to the seat.

The problem was where the pillion starts. It needed to be moved back a couple of inches, at least smoothed out.

I bought a Royal Riding gel seat pad, but couldn't get it in the right spot, just seemed to give me less room. I liked the material, but still just not right.

I took the seat off, removed most of the cover.

Electric carving knife and a fine grit sanding disc on my dremel. Cut away the harshness of the pillion down to the pan. Shaped the gel seat pad to fit the original seat design, cut out a "tailbone tunnel" in the gel seat.

Took a memory foam pillow and cut it to 1 inch thickness (using the electric knife) , covered the original seat and the gel material with the memory foam.  (Made a much more smooth and finished look under the cover)

Original cover went back on it (after some adjusting on the memory foam thickness) and tacked it back with a normal T50 Elite arrow stapler and 1/4 in staples.

Looks good,  feels so much better. Not a professional job, but i have about 70.00 bucks in materials and my time. I thought if I made a real mess I would get a pro to do it........and still may use that option, but for those willing to try stuff, it was kind of fun to attempt. It is definitely an improvement.  Warning though......sanding down the closed cell foam makes a MESS.

Safe ridin.

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/24/12 at 15:10:07

Thanks Scott. I was given a seat off of a Honda Shadow but it is way to big to fit this bike. It was very comfortable but I just couldn't figure out how to make it fit. I have seen posts about someone using a sportster seat but they didn't include what year bike the seat came off of. My brother-in-law rides a harley, and has plenty of friends who do also, so I may check with him when I go for a visit this summer; and of course I'm going to trailer my bike so I can ride with him. Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 05/24/12 at 15:36:33

Is there any way you can put that seat on the S40 base even by cutting it down some.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 05/24/12 at 15:46:05

I had the silly idea of taking the pan off of the Savage seat and attaching it to the pan of whatever seat so the mounting points would be there. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it would work.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/24/12 at 15:56:26

What you might try, if you like the Shadow seat, is take the cover and padding of of the sock seat you have, then take the foam and cover off of the Shadow seat, and try to re-shape the bottom of the shadow seat foam to see if you can get that onto the Savage seat pan; probably be able to use the Shadow seat cover and staple it over.
Chances are that seat is longer too, as well as wider. Might take some surgery, but worth a look.

IP Logged
Realbtl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigfork MT
Reply #9 - 05/24/12 at 16:38:42

I'm not too fond of the stock seat either but I'll wait for the snow to get here before taking it to my friend the upholsterer.  Priorities.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 05/24/12 at 16:54:19

Save up your pennies and buy a Corbin and be done with it. Your wife will like it too. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 05/24/12 at 20:27:44

The Leather Corbin seat really isn't a bad price.  Total cost for me shipped was $314 and they are pretty through in asking questions such as height, weight, and inseam so they can shape the seat and pad the seat correctly.  I haven't received mine yet as they just shipped it out today but then again I just ordered it a few days ago, so turn around time is great as well.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #12 - 05/24/12 at 20:57:16

arteacher wrote on 05/24/12 at 16:54:19:
Save up your pennies and buy a Corbin and be done with it. Your wife will like it too. Wink

A Corbin seat is near the top of my short wish list.  The types of materials and color combos is boggling! Smiley

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 05/25/12 at 05:31:44

I transferred a Mustang seat to my stock seat pan.  Added a Saddleman raw gel pad.  Much more comfortable and more the looks I was going for.  I figured trying anything was better than nothing!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #14 - 05/25/12 at 06:00:01

rfw2003 wrote on 05/24/12 at 20:27:44:
The Leather Corbin seat really isn't a bad price.  Total cost for me shipped was $314 and they are pretty through in asking questions such as height, weight, and inseam so they can shape the seat and pad the seat correctly.  I haven't received mine yet as they just shipped it out today but then again I just ordered it a few days ago, so turn around time is great as well.

R.F.

Did you order it straight from the Corbin site?   I would love to know how that works out after you have several miles in that new seat. I have looked at them a couple of times.  That is why I did the mod to my stock seat.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:37:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Savage Seats

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.