Send Topic Print
Bad steering bearings? (Read 178 times)
sdlc808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bad steering bearings?
05/24/12 at 01:44:44

How can I tell if my steering bearings are going bad?  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bad steering bearings?
Reply #1 - 05/24/12 at 04:02:36

About the only thing you could do to make steering bearings go bad is pressure wash the area too often.

Raise the front end off the ground and see if the forks turn left to righ smoothly - then do the same with the weight on forks.  If he forks turn smoothly the bearings are probably fine - if you feel them being jerky or rough then I suspect they may be bad or need grease.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 04:11:07

You will be the very first one, so you can tell us what makes you think they are shot.

Seriously, dealers replace wheel bearings and head bearings because they can say they are "worn out" at will and the poor owner just gets stuck for the bill for the unnecessary repairs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/24/12 at 05:04:31

With weight off the front end, lift up and down on the wheel with one hand while holding the center of the handlebar steady with your other hand and if you get a clunk clunk up/down movement then the bearing may be bad or just loose.  If that is the case then I would remove the big nut and drop the front end, look at the condition of the bearings (any visible damage or bearings missing?) and if all looks good then clean with carb cleaner and apply new grease and assemble and torque it down.
Check again for the clunk clunk movement up and down.  If that is good and it also turns smoothly then you are good to go.

IP Logged
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/24/12 at 11:49:43

Just replaced the steering bearings on a 2002. On the ride home after buying it, it felt like the front wheel was flat. Steering was stiff and the bike kept wallowing around. Even with proper inflation, the steering felt the same. When I pulled the steering stem, the lower bearings basically fell apart. Should also mention that when I purchased the bike, the top nut on triple tree was missing. Sure that caused the problem in the first place.

IP Logged
sdlc808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/25/12 at 00:01:22

The shop mechanic said so but I don't believe um.Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/24/12 at 04:11:07:

You will be the very first one, so you can tell us what makes you think they are shot.

Seriously, dealers replace wheel bearings and head bearings because they can say they are "worn out" at will and the poor owner just gets stuck for the bill for the unnecessary repairs.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 21:46:59

Here's another way to check for loose head bearings:

While sitting on the bike, engine off, get 'er rolling backwards.  Then, while listening carefully, quickly slam on the front brake.  With the bike still standing still, release the front brake lever.  Get 'er moving forward and, still listening intently, dynamite the front brake again.

If you heard any clunks during the above procedure, your head bearings most likely are bad and/or in need of an adjustment.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #7 - 07/26/12 at 16:31:01

I bought my savage as a work horse for commuting between Waikanae and Wellington (New Zealand) - that's about 60 km each way, year round. Which is a long way of saying it did lots of miles in the rain, at speed. Under those conditions the steering head bearings were completely snotted by 30,000 km (call it 18,000 miles) - the shield over the top bearing is pretty bad at keeping water out, but the seal under the bottom bearing is pretty good at keeping it in.

Replacing the steering head bearings was pretty average compared with other bikes I've done EXCEPT: there is no way you are getting the bottom race on or off the stem yourself wihout divine intervention. "Tight" does not begin to describe it. Mine had to be cut off at the shop and they had to wind the press up to a pretty fair tonnage to fit the new one.

And I forgot to take the bottom seal in, so now I'm running without it. But water that gets in now gets a chance to run out, and I'm using a top end marine grease, so it's probably a better situation than standard.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 16:58:58

Are ya' doin' too many wheelies?... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #9 - 07/27/12 at 00:11:48

hi guys! still experience of driving on Ural worn bearings, steering column serves features when you turn. simply creates an impression that the balls in these bearings square and the steering wheel slightly binds. and already knocks and vacillation steering column-this is very bad. the last case.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:25:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad steering bearings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.