Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stock exhaust questions (Read 152 times)
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
stock exhaust questions
05/23/12 at 21:53:22

So I just bought my first bike, a '02 Savage.  I'm loving it and getting better on it every day.  My problem is I don't like the noise that my muffler's making or where the smoke comes out when it's choked.

When I rev the engine it makes a high pitched rattling noise that sounds like crap.  Also, if I take the heat shield off and hold my hand over the large holes in the chrome at the front, there's a lot of exhaust escaping out of them instead of going out the back.  I'm not sure if I have an exhaust leak or if this is how it's supposed to be (remember, it's my first bike).  Any help here would be appreciated with the exception of telling my to put on a different muffler, I like the fairly quiet sound of stock exhaust for now.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: stock exhaust questions
Reply #1 - 05/23/12 at 22:04:37

welcome

you should be able to find a used stock muf w/o holes like yours.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 03:52:34

I wonder if the gasket at the front of the muffler has gone bad.  This would allow the leak - and could make the exhaust system rattle.

The part number is 14771-46E00, andn is part number 5 in the following link:
http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432122&catego...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #3 - 05/24/12 at 05:31:04

Dave wrote on 05/24/12 at 03:52:34:
I wonder if the gasket at the front of the muffler has gone bad.  This would allow the leak - and could make the exhaust system rattle.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432122&catego...

no, mine has holes in it like the one pictured here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-09-11-LS650-S40-SUZUKI-EXHAUST-PIPE-MUFFLER-10-...
that's where the exhaust is coming from.  I can't figure out if having these is causing it or if mine's just broken.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/24/12 at 06:27:01

I think its the gasket between muffler and head pipe,You might be able to tighten what you have the gasket could be ok.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/24/12 at 06:40:56

Brian wrote on 05/24/12 at 05:31:04:

no, mine has holes in it like the one pictured here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-09-11-LS650-S40-SUZUKI-EXHAUST-PIPE-MUFFLER-10-...
that's where the exhaust is coming from.  I can't figure out if having these is causing it or if mine's just broken.

Those holes are just vents to allow the outer sheild to cool.  If you have exhaust coming out there.....I believe you must have a hole rusted in your muffler somewhere.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 05/24/12 at 09:20:50

I think he means the two holes drilled in the back of the muffler...right?  Those are a common mod around here.  Wink  

Welcome!
Dave

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/24/12 at 10:18:54

Dave Sisk wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:20:50:
I think he means the two holes drilled in the back of the muffler...right?  Those are a common mod around here.  Wink  

Welcome!
Dave

The original post stated:  "Also, if I take the heat shield off and hold my hand over the large holes in the chrome at the front, there's a lot of exhaust escaping out of them instead of going out the back."

I believe he has exhaust coming out the front vent holes near the connection of header to the muffler.

IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #8 - 05/24/12 at 10:31:22

Dave wrote on 05/24/12 at 06:40:56:
Brian wrote on 05/24/12 at 05:31:04:

Those holes are just vents to allow the outer sheild to cool.  If you have exhaust coming out there.....I believe you must have a hole rusted in your muffler somewhere.

That's what I figured. Guess that means I need a new one . Thanks.

IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #9 - 05/24/12 at 10:32:23

Dave wrote on 05/24/12 at 10:18:54:
Dave Sisk wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:20:50:

Welcome!
Dave

The original post stated:  "Also, if I take the heat shield off and  hold my hand over the large holes in the chrome at the front, there's a lot of exhaust escaping out of them instead of going out the back."

I believe he has exhaust coming out the front vent holes near the connection of header to the muffler.

Yes, exactly what I meant

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/24/12 at 10:40:02

[/quote]Yes, exactly what I meant [/quote]

There should not be any exhaust coming from anywhere except the back.  You must have a hole between the inner muffler and outer shield.  Time to get a new muffler - cheapest alternative is probably a used Dyna muffler from a Harley.  The Dyna muffler is a bit louder with a deeper tone.  I just posted an add looking for a used one on Craigslist - and I am getting a reply every hour!

IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #11 - 05/24/12 at 15:15:18

Dave wrote on 05/24/12 at 10:40:02:
Yes, exactly what I meant [/quote]

There should not be any exhaust coming from anywhere except the back.  You must have a hole between the inner muffler and outer shield.  Time to get a new muffler - cheapest alternative is probably a used Dyna muffler from a Harley.  The Dyna muffler is a bit louder with a deeper tone.  I just posted an add looking for a used one on Craigslist - and I am getting a reply every hour! [/quote]

like I said, not really interested in the HD muffler right now. Thanks though.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/25/12 at 07:54:53

I have a stock muffler laying around.  Let me know if you want me to see what shipping would be.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stock exhaust questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.