Electrical issue (Read 70 times)
paul33329
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Electrical issue
05/23/12 at 21:10:10

Yesterday I turned the key to on and the lights came on, but then when I hit the ignition it went dead and nothing would come on. two guys at work helped me test the battery which was fine. We took the seat off and found one of the 20 amp fuses was blown. We replaced the fuse, but it blew again right away. My coworker looked for a chafed/exposed wire making contact with the frame. We never found one, but after messing with the wires and putting another new fuse in it's running fine. I started the bike 6 times today with no issues.

So how likely is it to happen again? Any way to narrow down which wires are the issue? Any other possible causes? My coworker mentioned taking the gas tank off would let me get to the rest of the wires to check, but that seems like it would be too big a project since it's now running.

Paul Lews
Cheyenne, WY
2006 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrical issue
Reply #1 - 05/23/12 at 21:29:38

very likely

take the tank off, also the wires are fed into the headlight, where they go thru the hole is the usual place.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/23/12 at 21:34:35

If you havent fixed the problem,, you still have it. Better to struggle with finding it at home than anywhere else,

Get some fuses & wiggle some wires, wiggle in an area & pop the fuse, youre gettin warm,, literally,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/23/12 at 22:06:17

pull the fuses and use a 12v light bulb in its place.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/24/12 at 01:10:32

Ya know,, Ive done that, on cars,, Thanks for the rebrainer//

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 20:51:33

paul33329 wrote on 05/23/12 at 21:10:10:
Yesterday I turned the key to on and the lights came on, but then when I hit the ignition it went dead and nothing would come on. two guys at work helped me test the battery which was fine. We took the seat off and found one of the 20 amp fuses was blown. We replaced the fuse, but it blew again right away. My coworker looked for a chafed/exposed wire making contact with the frame. We never found one, but after messing with the wires and putting another new fuse in it's running fine. I started the bike 6 times today with no issues.

So how likely is it to happen again? Any way to narrow down which wires are the issue? Any other possible causes? My coworker mentioned taking the gas tank off would let me get to the rest of the wires to check, but that seems like it would be too big a project since it's now running.

I went through this thrash a while ago:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274415984/8#8

Here is some info about the circuit tester I made:

I made a tool to assist me in doing wiggle checks on suspect circuits.  I find that using this tool is easier and cheaper than blowing out lots of fuses as you search for shorts.

It is a license plate light fixture and wiring harness that I removed from an old pickup truck eighteen years ago when I was putting a rear bumper on it:

I cut off the OEM connector and crimped on some spade connectors to the ends of the two wires:

You can see where I filed down the spade connectors so that they would fit into the holder for the fuse.

I pull the fuse on the suspect circuit, plug my tester leads into the fuse holder, turn on the ignition switch, and wiggle away.  If I find a short to ground, the light gets really bright.

If you are testing the headlight/taillight circuit, you may want to disconnect those bulbs first, since, if said bulbs are drawing juice, the test lamp will be burning brightly and thus making it harder to detect shorts.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:34:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.