Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust pipe fabrication (Read 259 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust pipe fabrication
05/23/12 at 10:56:25

Been looking at the Ryca site and the Street Tracker. The guys must be kinda busy with all the ideas and projects they have come up with. I don’t think they will have any of the parts available separately any time soon so we are looking into building our own exhaust. Since I know nothing about fabrication there must be some issues I’m missing.

Checked with my welder. He said to get some aluminized (so it won’t rust as easy) bends and butt-weld the sections together. From a quick look at the high pipe in pictures, it seems there is a 180 bend coming off the motor and another 45-degree or so then a straight shot to the back.  Not too complicated. I think I will mock up a pipe from PVC pipe first just to try.

My question is what to do at the motor end? There needs to be a flange that fits against the motor so that the pipe can be clamped to the cylinder. I don’t want to cut up the original pipe just to source this part. Do they make flanged pipe pieces? There must be some source on the ‘Net for this part.  I know there are 1 ¾ inch diameter bends available and straight tubing is of course no problem.

We need to do the pipe first so that there is room for the mid mount foot controls.

Thanks,

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Exhaust pipe fabrication
Reply #1 - 05/23/12 at 11:26:39

I'm actually in the middle of this myself.
I have a thread in Rubber Side Down called "Exhaust tubing size"
I got 135 degrees and 45 degrees. The problem is when I got my tubing the radius was wrong so it's a tight 135 instead of a nice broad radius.

Stainless is cheap, can be polished, and won't go anywhere for years.
I got my tubing from frozenboost.com but also check out acestainless.com
Both my pieces which should cover my whole exhaust (including muffler length if I wanted) were 50 bucks.
As a machinist in a previous life I wouldn't charge more than 20 bucks to make that flange. Find a local machine shop and have 'em rip one out of 300 series stainless. The mom and pop machine shops, not your big time how ya doin' aerospace ones.

--Steve

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/23/12 at 11:41:27

flanges are supposed to be common with one of the other boulevardes

probably the m109

WWW   IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/23/12 at 14:19:31

Thanks for the reply. I think you are referring to the "exhaust pipe clamp" item 3 in the picture. This ia a common part that can be scrounged off a junk bike.

What I want to find is the "ring" which needs to be welded on to the end of the pipe so there is something for the clamp to, er clamp against.  Like a washer or thicker.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/23/12 at 14:59:19

yes, I'm talking about the weld on ring, not the clamp.

but you might be able to find which bike is similar by that clamp if it is common.

WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/23/12 at 15:17:44

If the gent making mine has a fair enough price I'll ask him to rip off two of them.

--Steve

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #6 - 05/30/12 at 21:52:10

hey guys, can I just put a straight pipe on? if so am i going to have to mess with the carb or any other thing? sorry just been thinking of doing this but want to cover all problems and work needed to be done. Tongue and i dont know if that was a stupid question so go easy on me haha Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 07:43:33

There is a reverse cone welded in to catch reflected pulses right up where it clamps to the head. I guess the less restriction in the muffler, the less that would be needed,, IDK,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 08:21:56

Post pics when you get them made up You might be able to sell a few on here, stainless is cool and looks good after being cooked...

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 11:35:02

I would certainly be interested in one

IP Logged
irondad01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Osceola Mills, PA
Reply #10 - 05/31/12 at 15:36:44

I'm right now trying to do the same thing. I was going to run it down the right side until I saw the Ryca one. It is a much better idea. With the shock offset it looks like it was made for a high pipe on that side. I have an old clunky lathe that I think I can carve out a ring for the end of the pipe on.   Carl

IP Logged
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/01/12 at 05:25:29

Would love the see the finished product and final cost when you get it mounted.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/01/12 at 06:39:39

A piece of pipe to part the ring off of & a plate to shape up & some welding & Yep, youd have it, but I wonder if a guy can get the OEM part
for less less than the value of the time & materials invested.

It wouldnt bother me to go to the muffler shop & have regular Ol', everyday Zaust Pipe bent to fit. Sure, stainless Looks Great & all, but Yee Haaw its Ex PEN Sieve ( as in money runs thru that project like water thru a sieve). Sure nuff if I was running a bobber Id be all over that.

Check into the REverse Cone reflected wave stopper.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 06/01/12 at 17:41:09

I was thinking about getting one of those tractor replacement mufflers at Atwoods, but I don't know what this is gonna do to the motor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:09:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust pipe fabrication

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.