Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
backrest installation (Read 172 times)
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

backrest installation
05/22/12 at 17:39:37

This is a little embarrassing to ask but can someone give me step by step instructions with pictures on how to install a backrest on a suzuki boulevard s40? I tried to put it on and have instructions from suzuki but I couldn't get it. Can someone tell me what exact tools I need and give me instructions on how to install it?

thanks in advance

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: backrest
Reply #1 - 05/22/12 at 17:41:21

What problem are you having? I found that you have to assemble the whole back rest and bars, leaving everything loose, then slide it on the back fender, slide in the bolts under the fender, then tighten everything up.. took me and a helper.. I couldn't get it to fit any other way...

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: backrest installation
Reply #2 - 05/22/12 at 18:09:24

Agree with built... Assembly it and keep the bolts loose, then slide it over the fender and tighten it all up after that. I slid a rag between the fender and the rails so that it wouldn't scratch it up while moving it into place.

I had a bunch of pictures at one point that outlined the install and removal (as well as differences between the Savage and S40 assembly), but I'm not sure that the pictures are still online.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 05/22/12 at 18:15:29

I loosened one side and removed the other to assemble mine. Heed the warnings about scratching the fender.

My question is does your bike have the correct side rails for a backrest? If not, you will need to get those as well.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/22/12 at 18:52:44

I took off both side rails off to get in on.then put it back on the motorcycle.It was a pain.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/12 at 18:53:51

my bike has everything to assemble the backrest. The problem I am having is: I cant seem to get the bolt under the fender loose. Does anyone no what size it is? Also I am having a terrible time getting my hand underneath it so that I can secure it properly. Is there any tricks of the trade or special tools that can help me?

thanks again everyone

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 05/23/12 at 04:35:13

A ratcheting box end wrench worked for me.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 05/23/12 at 04:38:16

2011suzukis40 wrote on 05/22/12 at 18:53:51:
Does anyone no what size it is?

Mine was a 12mm.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/23/12 at 05:11:52

Well I have really done it now. I think I rounded the bolt off. What is a ratcheting box end? I'm sure that's a dumb question but I am a newby. I hate to take it to the dealership and get robbed plus the only one around always wants to keep my bike over night. What about a self adjusting socket? Has anyone used one of those before.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 05/23/12 at 05:24:27

2011 I just took one side rail off to replace a turn signal.  The nuts are 12 mm, like Greg said.  My big fat hands and arms didn't want to go in there, I got my son, with his skinny arms, to get the bolt started from the inside.  I used a flashlight to look under the fender as well.  I thought about jacking the bike up off the wheel, to see if that would give me a little more room, but son came to the rescue.

This is a racheting box end wrench. gearwrench is a brand name, but craftsman (sears) has them as well and I am sure others do by now.

Rounded off the bolt, maybe some vise grips.   Huh  I hate it when that happens.  Angry  But it usually does, at least to me. Undecided

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
zeebeer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/23/12 at 05:51:00

By jacking your motor of the wheel it goes down a litlle and your hand passes under the fender more easy. It worked for me, and I have big hands.

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #11 - 05/23/12 at 06:49:00

I just installed the rails and backrest I got from Builttolast on my 07 this weekend.  The thing is built to FIT...no extra room for sure.

It is a pain, as stated before, 12mm, if you can get the bike up the back wheel drops down and good sized hands have more room.  I still had to get another set of hands on it to keep from scratching it up till i got everything seated.

Seems it would be a simple task..........but not so in my experience. Looks great though and very solid once installed.

Good luck.

And ratcheting box end wrenches are a God send.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/23/12 at 07:30:44

I am going to look for a ratcheting box end wrench and give that a try. If that doesnt work then its vice grip time, and if that doesnt work then its off to the dealership I go.

thanks again for all the help. I love this site!

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 05/23/12 at 07:56:36

Yep, bess227 I forgot to tell you how to install it (I was busy as hell the last few weeks).. assemble everything loosely, slide it on, install the bolts under the fender, then tighten everything... took me a good hour to figure that out and I was using spliced turn signal wires so I had to have someone hold the side bars... you need a helper... no need for the dealer ship though, you can do it with a good helper, and I suprisingly didn't even scratch my paint..

I have small enough hands (big handed guys don't know the kind of work I can do Cheesy) that I can just reach under the fender and get the threads started on the bolts with 2 fingers..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:37:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › backrest installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.