Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best external battery access? (Read 229 times)
damiancds
YaBB Newbies

I've caught the bug
and can't/won't
stop!

Upstate NY
Best external battery access?
05/22/12 at 13:56:07

While I've been waiting for my new savage to get out of the shop (nothing serious), I've been thinking of stuff I'd like to change or add.

The main thing is an external battery access, either through a cigarette  lighter (like the one in the pic for this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1328414908/1#1) or the two prong thingy (at the end of this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1311085457/15)

My question is which is better? I'd like to be able to jump it, charge a phone and maybe hook up a gps. The cigarette lighter seams more universal, but I don't trust it to jump it. I'd like to flush mount it like the cigarette lighter picture, but I'm still in the planning stage

Any suggestions.

1996 Suzuki Savage ls650 Stock, Except for:
-Larger Rear tire (140/90-15)
-saddlebags
-winshield
  IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Re: Best external battery access?
Reply #1 - 05/22/12 at 14:47:13

I would suggest that you consider more than one connection.  The cost to add an SAE (Battery Tender) connection is $7 and takes about 15 minutes.  I added one to my wife's 2002 a few weeks ago.  That can be adapted to either cigarette lighter, USB,  or Powerlet (BMW style) connectors with additional cheap cables.  Alternatively, you can route a second connection to a more logical spot on your Savage, say by your handlebars, to support GPS, cell phone etc.  The Savage doesn't have a lot of mounting surfaces like a bike with a full fairing, so adding a fuse block is more difficult,  but you should be able to find some mounting points on your bars for an additional connector.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/22/12 at 18:50:06

"I'd like to be able to jump it."

You will not be able to jump the bike to start it with any of these connections - as the electric wires are not large enough to handle that kind of current.  You will be able to connect a charger - but don't use anything over 2 amps.  Using a large charger will cook the battery and/or wires.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 05/23/12 at 11:16:20

Yes you can jump for the battery tender connection. I have an extension and a cig lighter adapter, so I can plug into the car to jump it.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/23/12 at 13:01:45

Dj12midnit wrote on 05/23/12 at 11:16:20:
Yes you can jump for the battery tender connection. I have an extension and a cig lighter adapter, so I can plug into the car to jump it.

Look at the size of the wire leading to the starter.....then look at the size of the wire from you battery tender.  The starter can draw a lot more current than those little tender wires can handle.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/23/12 at 18:00:55

As long as it will start in about three seconds or so,.. if you have to crank it, those wires are toast...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 05/23/12 at 18:09:26

I agree.   #12 or #14 wires will quickly become fuses at starter motor currents, or worse, will melt away the insulation in a location that you cannot readily see.   That usually opens up a whole new ball of worms down the road, ummm, literally.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/23/12 at 18:32:37

while on the subject,  can anyone recommend a good hard wired battery tender??   i get kind of tired of having to pull the battery when i'm not going to be riding a for period of time..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/23/12 at 18:52:03

jspace wrote on 05/23/12 at 18:32:37:
while on the subject,  can anyone recommend a good hard wired battery tender??   i get kind of tired of having to pull the battery when i'm not going to be riding a for period of time..

If ya' hard wire it,.. you're not to be able to ride very far... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/23/12 at 19:03:23

jspace wrote on 05/23/12 at 18:32:37:

You need a Battery Tender disconnect plug.  Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Tender-Plus-Ring-Terminal-Disconnect-/2610276...

Then you wire one onto your battery tender - and you just plug your bike in when you need to.  The battery tender stays at home and is not mounted permanently on the bike.

IP Logged
damiancds
YaBB Newbies

I've caught the bug
and can't/won't
stop!

Upstate NY
Reply #10 - 05/24/12 at 19:16:54

Quote:
I agree.   #12 or #14 wires will quickly become fuses at starter motor currents, or worse, will melt away the insulation in a location that you cannot readily see.   That usually opens up a whole new ball of worms down the road, ummm, literally.

that pretty much makes not want to add anything, 'cause most like even if I just put a cig lighter or something in, I would be tempted to try to rig up a jump through that.

I'm calling this a lost cause for right now until I really know what I'll use and need.

I may revisit this if i can ever find/rig a socket of some sort with the right gauge wire...

thanks for all the input.

1996 Suzuki Savage ls650 Stock, Except for:
-Larger Rear tire (140/90-15)
-saddlebags
-winshield
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/25/12 at 21:39:49

damiancds wrote on 05/22/12 at 13:56:07:
While I've been waiting for my new savage to get out of the shop (nothing serious), I've been thinking of stuff I'd like to change or add.

The main thing is an external battery access, either through a cigarette  lighter (like the one in the pic for this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1328414908/1#1) or the two prong thingy (at the end of this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1311085457/15)

My question is which is better? I'd like to be able to jump it, charge a phone and maybe hook up a gps. The cigarette lighter seams more universal, but I don't trust it to jump it. I'd like to flush mount it like the cigarette lighter picture, but I'm still in the planning stage

Any suggestions.

Here's what I rigged up for an easy jump:

I made my bike (see my signature block) easy to jump.

I found a used battery ground cable laying around (from my old '81 GL1100).  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

The cable I've added dead-ends under the black rubber hose section I've used for a cover over the "hot" end of the cable.  There is no connection to the starter (even though it looks like it DOES connect to the starter somehow in the photo).

All I need to do to jump this beauty is to pull the section of rubber hose off the end of my added cable,  connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's positive terminal and my added cable, and connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's negative terminal and any handy ground on my bike.  I carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables in the bike's trunk.

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage).

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:37:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best external battery access?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.