Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine ping & deeper backfire (Read 99 times)
buckeye sound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine ping & deeper backfire
05/21/12 at 18:28:00

My first post!

I purchased a 2007 S40 earlier this year with about 350 miles on it.  After replacing the bad gas and cleaning the carb, the bike ran very well for the next 100 miles.  I got some backfire, but not much.  However, I decided to remove the plug to check the burn.  And, the plug was bright white - lean.

So, I adjusted the idle mixture out a turn, and replaced the white washer in the carb with one about 2/3 the thickness of the original washer.  

The result:  the bike has a bit more power at low speeds, but now the backfire is deeper in tone and there is an engine knock or ping that didn't exist before when under a load.

Any thoughts on these new conditions that occurred after I did the washer mod?  I have tinkered with the idle mixture taking it out as many as 3 1/2 turns with the same results.  Considering the bright white plug, I was also planning to change the main jets.      

Thanks -- great site, lots of information!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine ping & deeper backfire
Reply #1 - 05/22/12 at 01:51:08

Pulling away from a stop, when mine was new, it would clatter like heck, I just had to keep the revs higher. Once it had 1,000 miles on it, that stuff was almost finished.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buckeye sound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Engine ping & deeper backfire
Reply #2 - 05/22/12 at 15:54:00

thanks, the real puzzler for me is that i would expect that making the mixture richer, the likelihood of knock/ping would be less.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:25:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine ping & deeper backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.