ZOOM ZOOM (Read 135 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
ZOOM ZOOM
05/21/12 at 08:39:50

Finally took the bike out on the interstate.. and up to 80. Not really enjoyable for me and probably won't be doing that very often. The vibration was pretty bad and rear of the bike is very light, so bumps get pretty scary at that speed. Other than that the bike seemed ok with all, and no harm done.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: ZOOM ZOOM
Reply #1 - 05/21/12 at 09:32:17

80mph,.. cool! ... it's fun to zip up to 80 or 90 for a few seconds... Wink...
... but, I like that it's not a place I want to stay...
Like you said, the bike has no problem with it, but it's just no fun to stay up there on this bike...
Good feature for me... It reminds how very fast that really is, and how I don't want to go down at that speed...
..again... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/21/12 at 12:09:47

Going 80 or 90 mph is like going to the local bar.  If you go there occasionally just to visit......things will probably be just fine.  But if you hang out there too often......there is going to be trouble!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 05/21/12 at 16:00:28

A fork brace really does help, especially where they have rain grooves in the road.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 05/21/12 at 16:13:25

Savage_Rob wrote on 05/21/12 at 16:00:28:
A fork brace really does help, especially where they have rain grooves in the road.

Now, if they only had something to help with the 20mph crosswinds out across the desert! Angry

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 05/21/12 at 19:05:21

Well the vibration was so bad... that cars in the mirrors looked like dancing stars ( headlights) couldn't make out a single car... just lights.  I was passing a big slow moving RV.. well he was doing 68 or so...

yeah the idea of the fork brace sounds good.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 05/22/12 at 13:18:36

Pine wrote on 05/21/12 at 19:05:21:
Well the vibration was so bad... that cars in the mirrors looked like dancing stars ( headlights) couldn't make out a single car... just lights.  I was passing a big slow moving RV.. well he was doing 68 or so...

yeah the idea of the fork brace sounds good.

I still stand by the fork brace.  However, this IS a thumper and you'll be hard pressed to get vibration-free mirrors.  While this may be anathema to those who try to reduce weight at all costs, a little weight helps dampen bar vibration.  Some folks use bar end weights (and there are small ones inside the ends of the stock bars).  I'm using aftermarket drag bars and I filled mine with BB's and then epoxied the ends inside.  It makes a huge difference vs the same bars without weight.  Some of it is just getting used to.  A thumper vibrates.  As thumpers go, the counterbalancer on the LS650 actually does a pretty decent job of reducing it though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 05/22/12 at 13:54:13

I can't help but think that the rubber grommets that the risers mount to allow the handlebars to vibrate more than if the risers were solidly mounted. I say this because my mirrors don't vibrate nearly as much with the new tree that came with the rake kit, which only allows solid mounting of the risers. I had lead shot in my previous bars, which helped. I haven't gotten around to doing it with my current bars.
You might try tightening the riser nuts and see if it does anything for you. There is a piece of tubing to keep the grommets from too much compression, you could try grinding a SMALL amount off the tubes to compress the grommets more.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › ZOOM ZOOM

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.