Send Topic Print
New Rider Questions (Read 315 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: New Rider Questions
Reply #15 - 05/21/12 at 16:07:47

Just do what your comfortable with.  With time, you'll gain confidence, and begin doing more and more.  As far as known problems, at 11,000 miles, it's time to check the timing chain tensioner.  Information can be found in the tech section.  Also, after setting a year, a couple of ounces of  Seafoam in the fuel tank couldn't hurt.  Most important, just get out and enjoy the ride. Wink

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #16 - 05/21/12 at 17:18:42

I learned wrenching, and bodywork (I don't quite have the nerve to call it mechanics yet) due to necessity ie lack of funds and really needy vehicles.
Lots and lots of trips to the wreckers, skinned knuckles and "colourful euphemisms" (I found that stubborn bolts loosen with *&?%$*&%$"/*&?%$/"*&%$/"!) When ever I work on vehicles mothers take their kids indoors.
And then your done, and it works, and you are sitting back looking at it, all sweaty, greasy, bleeding from small cuts and skins, with a beer in your hand, and you feel great!
I DID THAT! Cool
Oh... and you will quickly learn that the Japanese have smaller hands than we do. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Reply #17 - 05/22/12 at 06:54:56

I do have some basic wrenching skills. Minor projects don't intimidate me, it's the larger, or more delicate, things like the carb that do. It's great to know there's tons of support and guidance here! It's great to be a part of the forum.

When things slow down for me and I get some more cash to play with hopefully I can start customizing my bike and make it my own. My plan is to make a sort of sport-bobber, kind of an old school street fighter. We'll see what I can do to make this a reality though.

Thanks again guys!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 05/24/12 at 19:30:24

Don't be afraid to get into it. Worst case, you have to replace a few parts.

I've had over 100 bikes from 1915-2005 model years. I frankly loathe working on late models. Late model to me means it has overhead valves...

Savages are pretty simple. J.A. Pan Inc took a 1950s British motorcycle, added a starter and alternator, replaced rock solid reliable points with a magic black box, took away the rock solid reliable kick starter and called it good. And for the most part it is a good bike. Every major flaw or common maintenance item is in the tech section. Most of it is simple to handle.

Oh, things I WON'T wrench on for myself: tire changing, engine rebuilding, frame welding. I know my limitations.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/24/12 at 21:45:21

WD said

Oh, things I WON'T wrench on for myself: tire changing, engine rebuilding, frame welding. I know my limitations.

tire changing

At $30.00 a pop, I would, if I was gonna keep riding. Ive done both ends, the rear is demon, I gave blood when a tire iron I had held got away & hit between the eyes,,But I have a HF tire changing stand,, I will sell when the bike goes,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 05/25/12 at 15:12:57

Permanent physical restrictions due to a deteriorated lumbar spine. I can dismount a BIG truck tire (11R22.5) in a couple minutes. Dismounting a motorcycle tire via spoons and levers? Forget it, not happening.

I'm technically not supposed to have been on a bike ever again since 2/2002... I've only put around 70K miles on post-op (started riding again in 2005).  Grin

I used to put on more miles than that in a year. I miss having 5-20 street bikes at the same time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/26/12 at 15:21:09

After being on a few motorcycle forums, it's refreshing to see guys talk about riding their bikes more than fixing them. I guess that means these bikes are pretty reliable, huh?

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #22 - 05/27/12 at 12:13:22

Serowbot, I checked the bolts on my exhaust after reading your tip ,and they were loose . Thanks!

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 05/27/12 at 15:40:51

Savage_Rob wrote on 05/21/12 at 15:55:01:
And on the subject of doing my the maintenance yourself, and speaking only of my personal experience, I like to do at least general maintenance myself for several reasons.  Here are a few that come to mind...

• It saves money (provided I don't bung something up too badly).
  • I trust my motivation more than mechanics I don't know.  I trust my (continuously evolving) skills more than the new kid at the shop who gets the "starter" bikes and basic stuff.
  • I like to think that I'm better equipped to handle it when gremlins strike.
  • I like learning.
  • I feel that, the more I understand about how she's put together and maintained, the better I am at judging how my bike is functioning.
  • I enjoy it so, for me, wrenching is a Zen thing until I bust my knuckles at which point it becomes a colorful euphemism thing.

+1
Actually, one of my favorite things about this bike is that it was simple for me to learn how to maintain without dropping a lot of money.  Of course this site helped more than anything else, these guys and gals are amazing and are always willing to help you out of whatever you get yourself into.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:26:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Rider Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.