New Rider Questions (Read 315 times)
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
New Rider Questions
05/19/12 at 20:25:18

I'm a beginning rider and just brought home a 2001 Savage with 11,000 miles that was a friend of my cousins who had the bike as a starter bike. It had been sitting for about a year so the first thing I did was have the oil, filter, spark plug, and front brake pads replaced.

Before that I hadn't ridden the bike much. Now that I actually own it and am licensed to ride I'm concerned about a few things. My biggest concern is the backfiring. It's bad, at least I think so.

From what I read here before buying the 'Zuk I knew it would backfire but I had no idea it would be on every stop and almost every shift. Is this constant backfiring normal? Should I be concerned?

Other than that the bike seems to run great, idle is awesome, bike warms up quickly without much choke, no lurching.

I've read about the spring mod, idle screw adjusting, Dynojet kit and an all around re-jet, and how they might help. Is it worth any of these mods or others? I basically have no mechanical skills, so if any mods are needed how easily can they be done by someone with no knowledge of how a carburetor works?

Home.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New Rider Questions
Reply #1 - 05/19/12 at 21:34:57

I basically have no mechanical skills, so if any mods are needed how easily can they be done by someone with no knowledge of how a carburetor works?

Everyone needs to know how stuff works & how to fix things & in order to do that, ya Gotta get some tools.

You now own a rolling laboratory, one in which you will conduct mechanical experiments under the guidance of others who have been there & can guide you.. You Will survive & your bike will get better & better, Yea,, you can do this,,

& you wont be paying some guy $65.00 an hour, YOu can buy a bunch of tools for that kinda $$$,, Enough to keep it outta the shop for a while,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/19/12 at 22:11:56

With no mechanical skills... there is a decision to be made here...
Do you want to get some?...  
This requires buying some basic tools, getting greasy, sweating, and some serious cussing...
...if that sounds fun... you're halfway home...

If it don't,...
Concentrate on riding skills...  
You say the bike is performing and running pretty well...
You can, with experience, and some analytical thought, learn to reduce and control much of the pops and backfires by learning to work the throttle and clutch...
Ride a while, and play around with these, and you may get a feeling for it...
Don't chop the throttle off,... use more front brake to slow, with less downshift...etc...

...and,.. first mechanical tip...  check the two bolts that attach the exhaust pipe to the head... they tend to loosen, and if they allow air to leak... backfires will abound...
Don't be a brute, and strip them (using a ratchet,...they should take a little more than just finger strength to tighten... wrist, but no elbow).... but, make sure they are tight...

Welcome to Savage world... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/20/12 at 02:51:39

..and,.. first mechanical tip...  check the two bolts that attach the exhaust pipe to the head... they tend to loosen, and if they allow air to leak... backfires will abound...
Don't be a brute, and strip them (using a ratchet,...they should take a little more than just finger strength to tighten... wrist, but no elbow).... but, make sure they are tight...

& only do that when its cold, I never wanted to mess with one that was hot, but this isnt for safety or comfort, its to keep from tightening a hot ( longer) bolt that will shrink & pull threads when it cools,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 05/20/12 at 12:17:26

Take any mods to the carb slow and methodical...don't want to move anything too far and make things worse by missing that SWEET SPOT  Grin

And update your profile to include your location, just might have another member nearby that would be willing to lend a hand  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Reply #5 - 05/20/12 at 14:24:22

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement!

I checked the exhaust flange bolts to the engine and found one of them so loose I'm surprised it was still on! Tightened it up, hit the road, and hardly any more backfiring! A quick and easy fix and saves me the hassle of trying to figure out the carb... at least until I've read up some more about how to do it properly.

Thanks again guys!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/20/12 at 14:54:16

Darn!... I made that fix, too easy...
I should have sent him around checkin' some this n' that's first...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Reply #7 - 05/20/12 at 15:41:34

Are there any other known little issues like that I should be looking for?

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #8 - 05/20/12 at 23:17:44

Quote:
Are there any other known little issues like that I should be looking for?

Might want to take a quick look at your blinker fluid while your at it!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/20/12 at 23:26:09

BLast you Rowboat..

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 05/21/12 at 11:02:36

Kyle -

Don't feel bad about any lack of mechanical skills.  While I have a good idea of how stuff works, and why, I have absolutely no desire to do my own maint.  I have little patience, less tolerance, and no desire.

$100 at a competent shop is a small price for me to pay to allow me to enjoy my S40 by riding it; not working on it.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/21/12 at 11:23:53

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/21/12 at 11:02:36:
Kyle -

Don't feel bad about any lack of mechanical skills.  While I have a good idea of how stuff works, and why, I have absolutely no desire to do my own maint.  I have little patience, less tolerance, and no desire.

$100 at a competent shop is a small price for me to pay to allow me to enjoy my S40 by riding it; not working on it.

The problem, sir, is FINDING a competent shop. I've been a mechanic 45 years, ASE certified master auto tech in business for myself 26 years. I've always done the work on my bikes & many of my friends. If you find a good mechanic you better treasure the experience cause it don't happen often.  Shocked  You need to at least know enough about your bike to know when they are outright lieing to you. I've caught 3 dealerships in lies in the last year. If they're not lieing then they're totally INcompetent. Angry

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 05/21/12 at 11:31:06

Ridge -

I do have enough mechanical knowledge to have a really good BS meter.

I certainly don't have your knowledge or credentials.  The point of my post was simply that one doesn't have to apologize for little knowledge or desire to do his own maint.  I've been a pilot for 45 years, and I'm not an aircraft mechanic, as most pilots aren't.

But that lack doesn't disqualify me from flying airplanes.  Neither should a similar lack of motorcycle maint. skills disqualify one from riding.

That was all I was saying.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 05/21/12 at 15:37:26

For basic carb theory, there are some Carb 101 links (not the Wheat Belly stuff either) that are very educational, along with quite a few other How To's listed in the Tech Ref forum.  There's even a table of contents of the most likely needed stuff.  There are also some serious sets of experience assembled in many of the members on this site.  Hey, I'm just the average guy that can handle tools and learn from others and I honestly believe that over 95% of any knowledge I'd need to maintain this bike is already on this site somewhere... It's just a matter of searching it out and reading.  The other 5% is likely only a post away (with maybe a few days for answers to be posted).  You could not be in a better place if you own an LS650.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/21/12 at 15:55:01

And on the subject of doing my the maintenance yourself, and speaking only of my personal experience, I like to do at least general maintenance myself for several reasons.  Here are a few that come to mind...

• It saves money (provided I don't bung something up too badly).
  • I trust my motivation more than mechanics I don't know.  I trust my (continuously evolving) skills more than the new kid at the shop who gets the "starter" bikes and basic stuff.
  • I like to think that I'm better equipped to handle it when gremlins strike.
  • I like learning.
  • I feel that, the more I understand about how she's put together and maintained, the better I am at judging how my bike is functioning.
  • I enjoy it so, for me, wrenching is a Zen thing until I bust my knuckles at which point it becomes a colorful euphemism thing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:20:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Rider Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.