LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Emgo Muffler
05/19/12 at 04:03:11

Took the Emgo muffler from the CS-1 RYCA kit and put it on a stock S40.  Mounted, rejetted the carb, warmed it up at idle to do an initial pilot screw adjustment and went for a ride around the lake here; just a few hours running time all total.
Thought the sound was too harsh  so pulled it off to check the fiberglass on the baffle.  This is what I found...

What you see is the total amount of fiberglass on the baffle...not even a handful.  All waded up it was smaller than a golf ball.  
I ordered the pink stuff for packing baffles on two stroke mufflers than was mentioned in one of the RYCA  videos.
Forgot to get a photo of it before I put it back in the muffler and installed it again.  Sounds a better though; it is still loud but it did take the edginess off the sound.  I used about 2/3-3/4 of the packing but the next time I do one I will only use about 1/2 and will pack it more loosely and see how that sounds.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: Emgo Muffler
Reply #1 - 05/19/12 at 09:09:51

I put two Emgo eqivalents from JC Whitney on my S50 and had the same experience.  I think I blew most of the packing out the pipes the first time I revved it up.  I ordered the packing JCW sells and like the sound very much now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/19/12 at 09:11:52

Emgo,, they just dont go far.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 05/19/12 at 10:12:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/12 at 09:11:52:

Should have written: Emgo, 'em just don't go far. Grin

(sigh) I need a life.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/19/12 at 10:18:41

arteacher wrote on 05/19/12 at 10:12:15:

(sigh) I need a life.

YOu know,, YOure Right,, I shoulda,, dangittt,,

& dont we All?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/19/12 at 17:19:08

Shoot,.. I get more fuzz than that, when I trim my nose hair.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/19/12 at 18:10:06

Are you going to try the crumb cup mod on the Emgo?

« Last Edit: 05/21/12 at 10:53:18 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 05/21/12 at 18:29:24

arteacher wrote on 05/19/12 at 10:12:15:

(sigh) I need a life.

"em ain't go far" (sorry I'm from the South)  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/22/12 at 03:06:31

Dave wrote on 05/19/12 at 18:10:06:
Are you going to try the crumb cup mod on the Emgo?

Already had one in it and looked to be part of the original construction

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 05/23/12 at 18:31:39

LANCER wrote on 05/19/12 at 04:03:11:

Took the Emgo muffler from the CS-1 RYCA kit and put it on a stock S40.  Mounted, rejetted the carb, warmed it up at idle to do an initial pilot screw adjustment and went for a ride around the lake here; just a few hours running time all total.
Thought the sound was too harsh  so pulled it off to check the fiberglass on the baffle.  This is what I found...

pic

What you see is the total amount of fiberglass on the baffle...not even a handful.  All waded up it was smaller than a golf ball.  
I ordered the pink stuff for packing baffles on two stroke mufflers than was mentioned in one of the RYCA  videos.
Forgot to get a photo of it before I put it back in the muffler and installed it again.  Sounds a better though; it is still loud but it did take the edginess off the sound.  I used about 2/3-3/4 of the packing but the next time I do one I will only use about 1/2 and will pack it more loosely and see how that sounds.

Funny you should mention that.  I suspected the innards of that muffler were not up to snuff so I took it apart.  I was really disappointed,... it was obvious that the toilet paper packing was not going to last more than a trip around the block (just like you said), so I bought some stainless steel strainers at Walmart and repacked it.  

That "packing" won't last forever, but no packing ever does.  In the past when I used this "technique" I had to repack the muffler every few to several thousand miles,.. which was almost as good as the really expensive made-for-motorcycles packing.

Here are some before and after pics.  Hopefully I'll fire the RYCA bike up pretty soon and see what this sounds like.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/24/12 at 18:54:28

How many times do I have to say that EMilio GOmez made mufflers are junk? Well, the casing is fine (as long as you like rust, really poor quality soft chrome) and the core is fine, but the packing is junk.

If your bifocals are as scratched up as mine, EMGO is short for Emilio Gomez, an L.A. businessman who's plant in Taiwan also makes Kuryakn, Custom Chrome, HD, Motoasia... If the package says Made in Taiwan, and it's a motorcycle part/trinket, it's an EMGO product.

The shop I worked at last in Washington State gets 4 40' shipping containers factory direct every spring. The old goat who owns the shop knows (knew?, no idea if EG is still alive) Emilio.

And if you get shipped a YELLOW parts box, the contents have been in storage since the 1980s. Current production packaging is blue (except for rebadged parts, Kuryakyn is yellow, Custom Chrome and V-twin Mfg are white and orange).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/24/12 at 21:51:01

One of the beauties of this board, people with real world experience in many areas..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/25/12 at 09:09:56

WD wrote on 05/24/12 at 18:54:28:
How many times do I have to say that EMilio GOmez made mufflers are junk? Well, the casing is fine (as long as you like rust, really poor quality soft chrome) and the core is fine, but the packing is junk.

If your bifocals are as scratched up as mine, EMGO is short for Emilio Gomez, an L.A. businessman who's plant in Taiwan also makes Kuryakn, Custom Chrome, HD, Motoasia... If the package says Made in Taiwan, and it's a motorcycle part/trinket, it's an EMGO product.

The shop I worked at last in Washington State gets 4 40' shipping containers factory direct every spring. The old goat who owns the shop knows (knew?, no idea if EG is still alive) Emilio.

And if you get shipped a YELLOW parts box, the contents have been in storage since the 1980s. Current production packaging is blue (except for rebadged parts, Kuryakyn is yellow, Custom Chrome and V-twin Mfg are white and orange).

Good stuff to know ...thank you for the info WD

It's amazing how many companies in various product groups sell product that comes from a common manufacturer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:39:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Emgo Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.