Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
I miss a kick starter!
05/18/12 at 19:38:38

Tonight the wife and I were going to take the Savage to dinner.  I tried to start the bike and the new battery I bought 3 weeks ago was weak.  I figured that maybe I had accidently turned the key to the position where the tail light was on and ran the battery down - but I don't remember seeing tail light glowing in the garage all week when I turned the garge lights out.  Also - the battery was not dead but did not have enough juice to start the bike.

After about 1/2 hour the bike would start - so I rode for about 4 miles and came home to pick my wife up.  I purposely shut the bike off to make sure it would start again....and it did so we drove off to dinner.  About 5 miles down the road I stopped for gas - and the bike would not start as the battery was weak and would just barely turn the engine over once.

Well........we tried push starting the bike....what a joke.  In anything less than 4th gear the rear wheel would just slide on the asphalt.  If I tried the starter just before letting the clutch out - it would open the compression release and I would get one revolution of the engine before the rear wheel locked up.  If I tried 4th or 5th gear I could get a few more revolutions - but when the engine fired is immediately stalled as it was going too slow for that gear.

Finally, we found a guy with jumper cables and put the ground on a frame bolt and the positive on the starter lead - and had them connect the cables on the car when I hit the starter button.  It started right up.

Tomorrow I will check the charging circuit and make sure there is no drain with the key off.  The bike seems to be charging as the lights are all bright when it is running - the Neutral light glows brightly.  When the engine is off the Neutral light is dim.  The battery seems to accept a charge and come up to voltage - but it has no storage and drains immediately when you hit the starter button.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: I miss a kick starter!
Reply #1 - 05/18/12 at 19:44:42

Ugh, this is not a story I want to hear. The only thing detracting me from purchasing one of these is the lack of a kick-start.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/18/12 at 19:47:40

I always do it in 1st with the starter bump to get going.
it'll chug a couple of times before it catches.

and did you expect it to be charged in 5 miles?   Grin

check the connections to the rectifier.

WWW   IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #3 - 05/18/12 at 20:05:07

I jump it in 2nd.  Personal choice really... I can manage to do it by myself if there's a slight slope somewhere around, otherwise the wife does a good 20m sprint!  Grin

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #4 - 05/18/12 at 20:17:49

verslagen1 wrote on 05/18/12 at 19:47:40:
and did you expect it to be charged in 5 miles?   Grin

This.
You will not recharge your battery with 5 miles of riding.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/19/12 at 04:10:33

[quote author=7E514B50380 link=1337395119/0#4 date=1337397469]verslagen1 wrote on 05/18/12 at 19:47:40:
You will not recharge your battery with 5 miles of riding.

I had the battery on charge for about 2 hours and the bike started.  The 5 mile ride around the block was to warm the engine up.....and to see if it would start agan when I when I returned home to pick up my wife.  The engine did start again when I shut it off and waited for my wife to lock the door and put on her helmet.

It seems that the bike will start if you shut it off....then immediately start it again.  If you take just enough time to take your helmet off and fill your tank at the pump....the battery has become weak enough that it would not star the bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/19/12 at 04:14:20

verslagen1 wrote on 05/18/12 at 19:47:40:
I always do it in 1st with the starter bump to get going.
it'll chug a couple of times before it catches. and did you expect it to be charged in 5 miles?   Grin

I tried pushing while the starter while we were pushing - but I could not use the starter button with the clutch out.  The safety switch would shut the starter down whenever I let the clutch out.  The ground was very flat where we got fuel and my wife is not much of a sprinter.  Whenever we got it moving and I let the clutch out - she would come crashing into my back as she did not have enough arm strength to keep pushing when the bike suddenly slowed down.

I really don't think it is the charging circuit - as the lights glow brightly when the engine is running.  I will however get the bike started this morning and check the voltage a the battery with the engine running, then again when off.  I believe the battery has lost the amp/hour capacity and just doesn't have enough "juice".

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/19/12 at 04:30:17

if you want a kick starter you need to go back in time. 1974 kick start only.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #8 - 05/19/12 at 04:45:53

Get a BigCrank.

/end

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/19/12 at 05:03:03

the big crank might weigh more than the bike!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/19/12 at 06:25:33

For those of you who have been succesfull with the push starting......I guess I need to eat more Wheaties (and burgers and fries and pizza).  I am 5'-8" tall, weigh 156 pounds, and my body fat is down around 10%.  All I could make happen is one engine revolution as is I would bounce down on the seat as I let the clutch out - then the rear wheel would just slide.

I just did some checking on the bike.  With the battery on a charger/tender overnight the battery had 12 volts and started and the electric starter did not sound overly eager.  When the engine started the voltage went up to 14.8 volts and hovered around that value when the engine was running.  When I shut the engine off the voltage slowley dropped back to around 12.  I was able to start the bike twice more - then the battery would not engergize the starter anymore.  The engine did not crank over more than a couple of revolutions with each start - so the battery does not have the ability to crank the engine more than about 10 revolutions total.  I now have the battery out of the bike - and it is losing about 1/2 volt each hour and is now down to 11.1 volts.

I will take the battery back today and get a replacement - it has a 1 year warranty.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 05/19/12 at 06:51:33

Quote:
not have the ability to crank the engine more than about 10 revolutions total.  I now have the battery out of the bike - and it is losing about 1/2 volt each hour and is now down to 11.1 volts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, now we talkin bad battery !
Up untill now, no one even mentioned "poor connections" !!

For Your Information,.....
12.0 volt is a really dead battery
12.6 is a full charged aged battery
12.7 is a new full charged battery
Anything over 12.7 is a battery that is,....or has been charging
Any full charged battery should see 13.2 (.4max) on a maintainer charger
Any discharged battery should see 13 to 14.2 normal charging voltages
----------------------------------

% of charge @ voltage......12 volt battery  
100 12.70  
95 12.64  
90 12.58  
85 12.52  
80 12.46  
75 12.40  
70 12.36
65 12.32  
60 12.28  
55 12.24  
50 12.20  
40 12.12  
30 12.04  
20 11.98  
10 11.94

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 05/19/12 at 07:15:32

That should go in the tech section.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 05/19/12 at 09:00:15

One quick check is to remove the left cover and battery terminal connector, then with the key off, lightly rub the connector on the battery term.  If it sparks then you have a leakage somewhere.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 05/19/12 at 09:07:40

Routy wrote on 05/19/12 at 06:51:33:
Quote:
not have the ability to crank the engine more than about 10 revolutions total.  I now have the battery out of the bike - and it is losing about 1/2 volt each hour and is now down to 11.1 volts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, now we talkin bad battery !
Up untill now, no one even mentioned "poor connections" !!

For Your Information,.....
12.0 volt is a really dead battery
12.6 is a full charged aged battery
12.7 is a new full charged battery
Anything over 12.7 is a battery that is,....or has been charging
Any full charged battery should see 13.2 (.4max) on a maintainer charger
Any discharged battery should see 13 to 14.2 normal charging voltages
----------------------------------

% of charge @ voltage......12 volt battery  
100 12.70  
95 12.64  
90 12.58  
85 12.52  
80 12.46  
75 12.40  
70 12.36
65 12.32  
60 12.28  
55 12.24  
50 12.20  
40 12.12  
30 12.04  
20 11.98  
10 11.94

This can't be overstated. A battery's voltage is an average between fully charged and fully depleted, not what a battery voltage is when fully charged. Check a brand-new AA battery, its voltage is closer to 2V than 1.5V. For a lead-acid battery starting an engine, it only really performs well when it's fully charged - 12V just won't cut it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:36:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I miss a kick starter!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.