Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recommended stuff for tool kit (Read 252 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Recommended stuff for tool kit
05/17/12 at 21:43:55

Being new to Street riding what all tools and spares would ya'll recommend I carry with me on a regular basis on my Savage.  I will be taking possession of the bike today and I'm very excited to get back into riding again after several years absence. My previous experience is mainly off road but I've also had some limited on road experience as well, so street riding is not totally new to me but might as well be since it's been so long.   Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes I will be taking the Basic riders safety course as it is required here in Texas to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Recommended stuff for tool mkit
Reply #1 - 05/17/12 at 22:23:31

all depends on where you're going... around town, cell phone and plastic.  boon docks, everything.

10, 12, 14, 17 combo wrenches, that'll cover everything that'll rattle loose.  8, 10 and 12 sockets will handle some things easier than the wrenches.  flat and phillips screwdriver, 20amp fuses and a bible aka clymers.

now if you think you'll need to fix something, tools for whatever that is can be added.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Recommended stuff for tool kit
Reply #2 - 05/17/12 at 23:29:30

Thanks for the info. Mainly I'll be riding the back roads and open highways as I'm live in rural areas of east Texas, no where near any major cities. Any spare parts other then fuses that I should consider packing into the saddle bags other then fuses?  My main use of the Bike is just for pleasure riding and not for daily commute,  Just something to get me out of the house every now and then and enjoy the open road, like I used to do years ago.   Cheesy

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/17/12 at 23:44:34

nothing will wear out or break w/o some hints that it's going.
how you going to fix a flat and where's the next station should be your biggest worry.

things to know how to do... push start and shift w/o a clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/18/12 at 01:10:21

rfw2003 wrote on 05/17/12 at 23:29:30:
Thanks for the info. Mainly I'll be riding the back roads and open highways as I'm live in rural areas of east Texas, no where near any major cities. Any spare parts other then fuses that I should consider packing into the saddle bags other then fuses?  My main use of the Bike is just for pleasure riding and not for daily commute,  Just something to get me out of the house every now and then and enjoy the open road, like I used to do years ago.   Cheesy

R.F.

Im in Upshur County,, where are you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 05/18/12 at 01:17:59

I'm in Wood County right off of Lake Fork.

R.F.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/18/12 at 06:03:24

Tools are good but I also keep 40 dollars in my tool box. It's not much but if you get stuck in some crap hole intersection town in Georgia it's only $32 a night at the Days Inn or if you have my luck you could:
1) lose your wallet/forget your wallet
2) magnetic strip decides to not work on your card
3) get to a gas station that only takes cash/CC servers down

Or you just really need a snack to keep your blood sugar up.

--Steve

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 05/18/12 at 06:13:01

I am thinking this through now, since I an riding with no saddlebags.  What do I really need to carry?  How many tools do I need, am I going to do much working on the bike on the side of the road?  Am I going to have any parts to work with?  I bought a handfull of wrenches to put on the bike, since I didn't have a stock tool kit, but about all I ever used out of there was the flashlight.  I have a multitool I carry on my belt, with pliers, screwdriver, knife, etc.  on it.  Have my phone (I know there are dead zones).  I usually try to keep a little cash in my wallet, works good until wife comes along.  Smiley

Of course this depends on where and how you ride.  If i was going on a trip, I would want a few more things than if I was just poking around town.

So, rfw, I am glad you asked this question, my enquiring mind would like to know.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 05/18/12 at 06:53:05

I carry:
Set of metric allen keys
Set of metric wrenches + a 10 and 12 mm open end wrench
8" adjustable wrench
Jap philips and flat screwdrivers
Plug wrench
Spare plug
Some wire ties
Roll of electrical tape
CAA card
Cell phone
Spare key in my wallet

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/18/12 at 07:57:39

rfw2003 wrote on 05/18/12 at 01:17:59:
I'm in Wood County right off of Lake Fork.

R.F.

Well,, some day when you want to venture out & put some miles on it, gimmee a holler.

& I live out in the boonies & there are some fun roads out here,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 05/18/12 at 13:31:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/18/12 at 07:57:39:
Well,, some day when you want to venture out & put some miles on it, gimmee a holler.

& I live out in the boonies & there are some fun roads out here,

Well that just might be a possibility once I get my license again, which will be in a few weeks. First available class for the BRC is June 9/10 and I'll do the DMV part on the Monday following.  I don't see any problems passing as I used to have my endorsement in the past and had no issues passing then.

I'm taking possession of the Bike today and I'm really excited to get back into riding again as it's been so long.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #11 - 05/18/12 at 14:58:04

A Leatherman or similar, good quality multi- tool.  Those things are gold...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 05/18/12 at 15:00:35

All good suggestions.  Thanks for the info.  Now to get all the stuff together in the smallest package possible.  Smiley

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #13 - 05/18/12 at 16:08:27

Get yourself a portable hole to hold every tool you own....

I'm trying to remember who said it, it was such a great plan for carrying stuff on a bike and it went something like this:

Put all the stuff you want to take with you on the bed, now parse it down to stuff that you absolutely cannot live without. You've done that? Great! Now cut that in half because that's how much room you have.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 05/18/12 at 22:17:05

I also carry a small first-aid kit, an extra bulb for the headlamp, a sharp 4" pocket knife, and a couple of feet of duct tape wrapped around a screwdriver shaft.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommended stuff for tool kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.