Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork brace users - input please (Read 139 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Fork brace users - input please
05/17/12 at 10:36:29

I have been wanting a fork brace for some time, but its one of those things that I keep putting off. ($$ mostly)  Then I had a brainstorm.  I work in a shop where alot of fabrication happens, and a few riders work here.  One guy was just working on fabricating some lowers for his bike and it hit me!  See if he would fabricate a fork brace for me!  

Well, that's the easy part.. haha  I showed him some pics of different ones on the market, Tkat, Superbrace, Custom Cycle, Kuryakyn, and we are thinking on it.  He said if I came up with a design I like, he can fabricate it for me.  I think we have access to all the necessary stuff to do it, and it shouldn't cost me much at all (if anything!).  

I know I want one that can be put on without disassembling the whole front end.  I'd like some pointers on things to avoid... and anything you think would be applicable information.

Thanks in advance!  Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fork brace users - input please
Reply #1 - 05/17/12 at 10:46:56

Make sure it clears the fender & its not wimpy,,T-Kat is really reasonable,

Ive got stuff around here to build things to solve problems, I finally learned that the development of a tool can be more time consuming that the cost of buying or renting or just hiring someone to come & solve my problem, You & your friend will invest hours & materials hoping to save $100.00. Are you sure you wouldnt be ahead working a few hours dedicated to that part & know you would have a fully functioning fork brace? If you just cant do that, then yea,, take a poke at it!

I have a plow I could hang on the backhoe, probably take a coupla hours,,Naaah,, Ill rent a ditch witch,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 05/17/12 at 10:53:48

Yea but the solution is part of the fun!!   Wink

But I do know what you're saying.  If its gonna be too difficult or involved, I'll just buy one.... which is why I'm asking for input... seems simple enough right now, but that's my uneducated (on fork braces) thinking

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/17/12 at 10:57:24

I think the Tkat design would be the easy approach. Build the split blocks to grab the fork, Install them,  cut a block to lay across them drill the holes to fit the bolt shanks, transfer the center of the hole with that tool,drill & thread the fork blocks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/17/12 at 11:37:40

The advantage of the Tkat design is the adjustability of it.

And think about if you want fork gaiters with it.  None of the ones offered to us have a provision for mounting the gaiter.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/17/12 at 11:49:58

Adjustability Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/17/12 at 15:50:31

You'll want to make sure also that your measurements and tolerances are spot-on. Adjustability is one thing, but a fork brace with slop in it isn't going to be much of a fork brace.
If you've got access to a CAD program and can do it all on a CNC or something similar, you might be in good shape. If all you have is a fancy drill press, you might be better off just spending the $100.

Don't forget to consider the kind of material you will be using; The TKat and Surperbraces are made from aircraft aluminum, and there's a zillion types out there to choose from. A lot of the more old fashioned ones were made from regular steel.

If I were you, I'd start by doing an Ebay or Google Image search for all kinds of motorcycle fork braces; might give you some cool design ideas that are different from the ones normally offered for the Savages.
I always liked the tubular ones that were on the old 1970's Moto Guzzi's myself... Not sure how effective they were, but they look the business!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 05/17/12 at 16:08:55

Thanks teabowl!  I did look at alot of designs, but I'll be searching for more.  Don't necessarily like the tube design like you pictured though.  As far as material, I have plenty of steel and aluminum (probably up to 1/2" thick) at my disposal.  Not aircraft grade, but if you think that is necessary, I can probably get my hands on that too.  I'm not exactly sure what will be easier for him to work with, or exactly what kind of tools we have available.  My sister does CAD work if it becomes a necessity.

I assume what Vers was saying about adjustability is because each piece can be done correctly seperately, then the center piece can be placed properly between and made to fit.  The Superbrace style is interlocking and would all have to be done perfectly as one unit.

I did remember one good point... I have a spare front wheel with forks still attached from an old parts bike.  I think it would be very helpful in the "fitting" stage.  

So would regular aluminum work or should I go steel?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/17/12 at 16:46:20

Id stay with aluminum, steel & aluminum together can get kinda nasty.

Id drop the $$$ & have something I know works,, look at this. The dimensions are already worked out, proven design,

Theres gonna be a lot of "discovery" time involved in building that first one. This guy has it down & doesnt do one at a time, I know you can do it,
but Ill bet a dollar youll be unhappy that you didnt buy it instead,.
If you can team up & do it in 10 hours, Ill be surprised & if ya do, thats 20 man hours, anything over 10 man hours in the project & youre going backwards, because your time is worth something, youll use materials,

& its possible that when youre done, it wont really be as nice..

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 05/17/12 at 17:16:35

Yeah actually after I look at lots of pics and some crappy looking homemade ones, I'm figuring I'll just buy one.  Unless the guy at work just wants to do it, just to see if he can, I'll probably just let the idea go.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/17/12 at 17:20:29

Unless the guy at work just wants to do it, just to see if he can,

If hes feelin froggy,, let him take a shot at it,, but if you dont like it, will he be unhappy if you dont use it? Hate to see a friendship get crossthreaded..

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 05/17/12 at 17:42:49

Meh, go ahead and splurge for a good one. The tolerances have to be 100% perfect. I bought the Superbrace (it's so pretty and shiny). The braces work very well. Among other things the bike is rock steady at real slow speeds, no longer squirrelly. Fabricating one from scratch sounds like a long hard frustrating undertaking. Tongue

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:30:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork brace users - input please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.