Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Silly washing the bike questions (Read 165 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Silly washing the bike questions
05/17/12 at 08:32:59

Does the engine need to be cold before I wash it? Can I just pull into a carwash and hit it with the hose? Are there any areas I need to avoid with the hose?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I have the same oil leak everyone else gets. I would like to clean the bike up. I don't have the ability to do it at home.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Silly washing the bike questions
Reply #1 - 05/17/12 at 08:56:45

I wash mine at the car wash places most of the time.. like when I'm too lazy to jack it up and do it right at the house. (That's when I check for nails in the tires, loose bolts, worn parts, etc).

The same effect happens when you ride in the rain.  Water on hot engine.

Do not direct the high pressure spray up under the tank, or directly at bearings.  The "why" should be obvious.

1st buck in the machine.
I usually set the dial to rinse first and waive the water back and forth across the exhaust and engine until they stop hissing.  (I don't want to bake soap onto the surfaces!)
Switch to soap, spray it down.  use a soft brush to get the rest of the dirt loose.  If you have those foam things, I try to pull into a bay that still has some on the floor from the last guy and use my brush with those leftovers.
2nd buck in the machine.  
Soap if you missed any spots.  Rinse.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 05/17/12 at 08:58:43

I personally would not spray a hot motor with cold water. Having said that, it can't really do any harm, because what happens when you are motoring down the road and it starts to rain? I can say for sure you will get water spots on the header, though, that will have to be polished off. The water at most car washes is filthy, unless you can find one that uses fresh water only.
Try to avoid spraying water under the seat so it doesn't go in the intake.
Mr Clean (Proctor and Gamble) used to make a kit that used special soap and filtered water to rinse that left no water spots. It worked great except they stopped making the soap and filters for it.
Something I would like to try is spraying it down with distilled water after a wash, to avoid water spots, maybe with a Wagner paint sprayer.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/17/12 at 09:03:00

arteacher wrote on 05/17/12 at 08:58:43:
I personally would not spray a hot motor with cold water. Having said that, it can't really do any harm, because what happens when you are motoring down the road and it starts to rain? I can say for sure you will get water spots on the header, though, that will have to be polished off. The water at most car washes is filthy, unless you can find one that uses fresh water only.
Try to avoid spraying water under the seat so it doesn't go in the intake.
Mr Clean (Proctor and Gamble) used to make a kit that used special soap and filtered water to rinse that left no water spots. It worked great except they stopped making the soap and filters for it.
Something I would like to try is spraying it down with distilled water after a wash, to avoid water spots, maybe with a Wagner paint sprayer.

Our water is really hard in this area, and all the carwashes have a spot-free rinse you can select. It is actually a softwater rinse to avoid the water spots (much like a big, big water softener for a house) Does a decent job on the 4 wheeled variety, I haven't washed the bike at any of them because I usually take care of that at home.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/17/12 at 09:04:52

No problem with it,... like they say...   Rain...
... but, I never wash  my bike.   I just use a dollar store spray bottle of car polish, or lemon furniture polish...
Spray on,.. wipe off... takes about 10 minutes.. 1/2 hour if I get all the little nooks...
That's less time than it takes to ride to the carwash.
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #5 - 05/17/12 at 18:37:03

Handy tip - wear a pair of work gloves while washing the bike.  Makes it harder to bruise knuckles and rip into skin against windshield brackets, shock coils, muffler mounts, cable ends...

Go ahead, ask me how I know...  Roll Eyes

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 05/18/12 at 04:52:37

Thanks everyone! Today my scooter gets a bath!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/18/12 at 07:52:59

You know how the instructions on engine degreasers tell ya, Warm it up, spray it on, wash engine, with engine off?
I wont do that,, I wont spray it in the intake, either, but I want to know if I get something wet that will keep the engine from starting, so, I pet it run while I wash,, if it dies, I look at whats I was washing,, duhh,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 05/18/12 at 08:46:36

Rain is not as much water as the amount coming out of a pressure hose. On a hot engine and cold water, I would be worrying about thermal shock.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #9 - 05/18/12 at 08:56:51

Why would you wash a bike?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 05/18/12 at 09:06:37

I never washed mine either, only when I start seeing rust spots I address the problem Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Silly washing the bike questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.