neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cant figure it out!
Reply #15 - 05/19/12 at 16:17:05

splash07 wrote on 05/19/12 at 15:40:25:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/16/12 at 18:45:33:
check your petcock

+1

Had the same symptoms and sure enough it was the petcock. letting too much gas down the vac line and overflowing oil out the crankcase breather.

I guess you are saying it overfilled your crankcase by adding such a volume of gasoline to the sump the oil/gas mix was blowing out the top breather tube down to the air box ???

Wow -- please tell me this didn't happen for real !!!

Shocked   Shocked    Shocked      Molotov cocktail, just needed a backfire spark .....       Routy wants very much for this not to be the case, as do I

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #16 - 05/19/12 at 17:34:46

No, not down the air box, no air box, so it blew gas oil mix out the crankcase breather filter just under the tank and all over me and the rear tire while going down the highway at about 45 mph. Not exactly safe.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/21/12 at 08:07:53

So, you are telling us that a bad stock vac petcock was dumping enough gasoline down the vac tube to overfill your sump to the point that gas/oil mix was coming out the top blow by tube and spraying flammable gas/oil mix on your legs and lower body?

You do realize that a carb backfire or a road tossed rock making a spark could have turned you into a localized version of The Burning Man ????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #18 - 05/21/12 at 08:14:59

I did say that it wasnt exactly safe didnt I.

I doubt that oil is prevented from flowing back down. The oil returns from the top of the motor through the cam chain opening so it literally cannot be blocked. As for the screen mesh, mine was in place and always has been. Even without the screen material that wouldnt explain such a large volume of oil to flow out the breather.   If you forgot your screen mesh you might expect some oil to make its way down the breather tube.

IP Logged
deepvalley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/23/12 at 16:43:03

THANK YOU to everyone that gave me advise on my lil lady and her problems!  I checked the flow of fuel and, as most of you indicated, my petcock was bad.  I plugged the vacume line at both ends and will be running her with it on prime for a few days until the new peice can be ordered but atleast I am riding again!  It felt so good to ride today without worrying about her quiting on me.  The oil thing must have been a one time thing because it hasn't happened again.  I wrapped the end of the hose in white cloth to see if it did it under ridding conditions and it was only slightly oily.  I can only figure that it was a buildup in the hose that blew out under pressure.  Once again, THANK YOU ALL.  Its great being a part of a community that cares about others enough to try and help a guy with a problem out.  I am on the road again!!!   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 05/24/12 at 07:48:32

splash07 wrote on 05/19/12 at 17:34:46:
No, not down the air box, no air box, so it blew gas oil mix out the crankcase breather filter just under the tank and all over me and the rear tire while going down the highway at about 45 mph. Not exactly safe.

So you have an add-on breather filter.  This is not stock.  In a stock configuration, the breather tube routes into the airbox.  That's why there's a drain tube in the bottom of the airbox.  That's why Oldfeller asked about it being dumped to the airbox.  I guess that's a bad side-effect of having the external breather filter.  However, it's also good from the standpoint that it gets your attention.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cant figure it out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.