Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nearly T-boned A Car Yesterday (Read 96 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Nearly T-boned A Car Yesterday
05/15/12 at 21:59:06

Came to a T in the road yesterday where the cage on my right had the stop  before making a left turn and I was going straight with a bus in the opposite direction waiting to turn left. While I was slowing down to make sure the bus driver saw me, the guy in the cage decided he'd waited long enough and pulled in front of both of us. The bus double clutched and re-hit his brakes while I did some serious rear braking without locking up the back tire. (held off the front brake for the anticipated dodge manuever) The cage romped on it and cleared my lane but we were close enough to read each others lips as we were questioning each others heritage.  Shocked
 Today I heard that another rider got hit very near there about a half hour later! Must have been an @ssh*le convention close by! Feeling fortunate for the MSF training and that I guessed right. Fair warning folks, ride like they can't see you and realize that some that do don't give a d@mn!

Ride safe!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Nearly T-boned A Car Yesterday
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 22:21:06

Simple Green will clean that seat right up... Huh...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/16/12 at 04:13:11

After watching a guy in a pickup very nearly hit a Mobile ICU unit,(Huge Painted Red with all the shiny metal & gold pinstriping & stuff ya see on the nice units at the fire station, Yea, theyre even bigger than your regular hospital owned ambulance,,no lites, no siren, he was just in traffic) & seeing the ambulance driver lay on the horn & the pickup driver STILL took his sweet time getting on the brakes, Ive decided there just isnt much "Predictable behavior" left in traffic. I dont care where ya are or what youre in or on, IDIOTS surround you, stay alert, stay alive,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 05/16/12 at 07:02:16

Riding to work this morning, I was behind a slow-moving small truck (with a dude riding in the back, texting of course).  From my left I see a squirrel about to dart out into the road across the other lane.  I thought for sure it would turn around when the truck got to it, but noooo!!  It stuck its nose right under the truck's tire!!  I swear it committed suicide right in front of me.  Didn't swerve, pause or nuttin'!  (the truck or the squirrel!).  The poor little squirrel just lopped over in the lane.  I must say I was glad I didn't have to guess which way it was gonna go by the time I got to it.

Oh, glad you are safe Southpaw!  Good going!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/16/12 at 08:43:30

I hope you increased your following distance in case the truck driver saw it & slammed the brakes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 05/16/12 at 09:01:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/12 at 08:43:30:
I hope you increased your following distance in case the truck driver saw it & slammed the brakes.

Pulled out behind him from a red-light just a few hundred feet prior.  He was barely poking along, but I knew I had a passing zone coming up, so I was already lagging behind him a bit (preparing to lay it on him!).  But still yes, I actually did think about him hitting the brakes.  I don't ride close anyway.  I like to be able to see crap that cars straddle, before its too late to dodge!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 05/16/12 at 10:36:00

Thanks babyhog, and glad you're ok also. Just wanted to post a reminder as the weather gets warmer, the idiots and the inexperienced drivers are going to increase on the roads to stay vigilant. I was actually prepared for something happening, I just thought it was gonna come from the bus. I'd already slowed down and changed position in the lane. Just had a feeling something wasn't right. Guardian angels and gremlin bells were working overtime!  Smiley

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/16/12 at 10:52:27

All "bases loaded" intersections demand full attention, Its no sin to move the bike back & forth across your lane & flick the Passing Light switch,
Control the lane near the centerline as you approach the intersection, & be ready to give that territory up.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 05/16/12 at 10:59:33

It has been a sad week here in Charleston with three dead on bicycles and one dead on a moped.

Ride safe out there everyone.

P.S. it was the car's fault in all four incidents.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/16/12 at 13:27:22

glad your safe, traffic is a tricky mistress

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/16/12 at 13:45:33

LostArtist wrote on 05/16/12 at 13:27:22:
glad your safe, traffic is a tricky mistress

tricky mistress?

Murderous wench Id say,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:26:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nearly T-boned A Car Yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.