Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GPS tracker and sms sending Alarm installation (Read 115 times)
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Beautiful Rideland New Zealand
GPS tracker and sms sending Alarm installation
05/15/12 at 19:35:22

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install a GPS tracker and sms sending alarm on my lovely S40. I need it to have 12V and ground(the easy one).

Since it uses both GSM and GPS, I need it to be as close to open air as possible without being seen or easy to get to (for the thief, rain, fuel leakage if ever happened and weather).

It looks like this:

And you can see all the information about it from here: http://www.spycamera.net.au/real-time-motorcycle-gps-tracker-with-automatic-s...

While it should be connected directly to the battery, I think it's a better idea to connect it after the ignition switch (contact switch) so I don't drain my battery, but this comes with its own set of problems as well.

You see, the device has its own internal rechargeable battery that lasts for about 3 hours. It also sends a text message whenever the power coming from the battery has stopped (dead battery, thief trying to be smart by disconnecting the GPS tracker, or turning off the ignition if the device is not connected directly to the battery)

So, any ideas, should I connect it directly to the battery?? \
Where to install it to be hidden and safe from New Zealand heavy rain (while it's weather proof, but NZ rain is something else) And to have the best possible GSM and GPS signal strength in the same time.

How about the tool box? Will it fit both?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: GPS tracker and sms sending Alarm installation
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 20:16:01

If I understand your purpose to be theft recovery, I think it needs to be connected full time.  As to where, without knowing exact dimensions, it's hard to say.  However, as a GPS device, I'm gonna guess it needs to see the sky.  That'll narrow your possibilities if it is the case.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #2 - 05/15/12 at 20:30:19

Thanks Rob,

I think you're right about the battery connection.
It doesn't have to be put somewhere to see the sky literally, on the top of the gas tank for example, but It probably needs the least amount of coverage absorbing material possible, think of it like the GPS in a car, it can work within the car but won't work in a garage. Or sometimes if you put it in your pocket.

The Dimensions are 70(L) x 45 (W) x 18(H) mm.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 20:32:48

See if it will tuck under the seat, if so, run the wires, dont have to make it perfect, just slap it in, test it, seat off,, then , seat on, if it works, tidy up the installation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 20:38:31

While under the seat sounds ideal, but the seat and me (or the thief) above it might kill the GPS, GSM signals or both :)

But I might just give it a try, maybe at the far end where the pillion should sit. Will do some testing and see if it works.

Cheers Justin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/15/12 at 22:12:12

Might need to move the regulator. Or, whatever the heck that thing is under there,,Im about to fall in the sack,,

If they built it in such a way that it has to be strapped to the top of the car, its not that handy. Surely it was meant for a car, right? The seat pan isnt metal, I think its a good start,, your call, tho.
Night All!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #6 - 05/15/12 at 22:16:31

No the car ones has two antennas one for GPS and the other one for GSM, this one is made for motorbikes, that's why they made it small with less connections and weatherproof.

I will check it out, might be able to put it where people install their back-off lights device, under the fuel tank.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/15/12 at 22:19:39

How about stuffing it in with the air filter? There aren't a lot of options on our li'l bikes.

IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #8 - 05/15/12 at 22:35:36

Hmmmm, not sure about this for two reasons.
1. I don't want to affect the air flow.
2. I don't think it's possible to get the battery wires through there from the inside.

Air_Filter_10.jpg
  IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #9 - 05/15/12 at 22:38:36

SuperSavage wrote on 05/15/12 at 22:19:39:
How about stuffing it in with the air filter? There aren't a lot of options on our li'l bikes.

Actually, rethinking it, it might be possible to stick it to the Air filter compartment cover from the inside, hopefully it has 18 mm in there. Let me try it out and I will let you know. Thanks SuperSavage

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 05/15/12 at 22:58:02

fork bag or wind shield bag or saddle bag or lil plastic box from your radio shack

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #11 - 05/15/12 at 23:31:36

I will try this too Thumperclone, I was hoping to have it inside somewhere to make it hard to find.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/16/12 at 00:03:57

I would put it in the airbox, that top hump in the pic.  it's plastic, everything above is plastic.
run the wires thru that port with the rubber nipple, pierce it and run the wires thru it tightly.  it will hardly be noticeable.

second option is under the pillion.  this might be the best as far as reception, but pillions are the 1st thing off.  you might be able to tap the battery wires at the regulator, but the ig switch close and you can find a hot all the time wire there.

WWW   IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #13 - 05/16/12 at 01:36:33

I might be able to fit it in the tools box place, running the wire there will be an easy task too, so I'll try this first. Then I try under the pillion at the back of the bike, then maybe try it inside the air filter box.

What about the tail light box?

IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #14 - 05/16/12 at 01:40:52

There is plenty of space behind the reflector, but running wires will be tricky.

Tail_Lights_5.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS tracker and sms sending Alarm installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.