Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First thing to buy for your spoke wheel Savage/S40 (Read 136 times)
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Beautiful Rideland New Zealand
First thing to buy for your spoke wheel Savage/S40
05/15/12 at 19:00:13

Hi guys,

The first thing I have done when I got my new Suzuki Savage S40 is taking it to the gas station, refuel and tires pressure checking.

I have noticed that the clearance between the back tire valve and the drum brake is very short and will not allow me to use the generic gas station electric air pressure pump (as you can see in the photo)

I went back to the shop and got myself a Right Angle (L shaped) Tyre Valve Adaptor that looks like the one in the attached photo.

Something like this one here: http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/506332/Tyres/Valves-and-Caps/Economy

It will cost nothing $5 or something to get one, but it will make it hell of a lot easier to check and maintain your back tire pressure.

Ride safe mate.  8-)

Pulley_06_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Re: First thing to buy for your spoke wheel Savage
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 19:01:37

This is what it looks like and usually they have different colors and shapes.

506332.jpg
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 05/16/12 at 03:19:32

Be careful with those ... I installed an "L"-shaped valve extender like that on the rear of my last LS650 ('05 S40) and the centrifugal forces put on the OEM Valve stem by the spinning weight of the "L" extender caused a leak to develop (chafed thru) in the rear tube where the valve stem exits the rim ... had tube replace and ditched the valve extender ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/16/12 at 06:22:57

My uncle had a Harley. He bought it all tricked out with a ton of bolt on crap.
Having never ridden one myself he offered to let me ride it.
It wasn't anything special but had these eagle head valve stem covers. One loosened up and the beak must've grabbed the spoke because halfway through my ride back home it ripped the valve stem right out and I was stuck.
That's all I think of when using something like the L dealy up there.
I use one of these.
http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog/69-95-large/870037-snap-on-ball-foot-air...

--Steve

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/16/12 at 07:50:02

PerrydaSavage wrote on 05/16/12 at 03:19:32:
Be careful with those ... I installed an "L"-shaped valve extender like that on the rear of my last LS650 ('05 S40) and the centrifugal forces put on the OEM Valve stem by the spinning weight of the "L" extender caused a leak to develop (chafed thru) in the rear tube where the valve stem exits the rim ... had tube replace and ditched the valve extender ...

Yup.. big warning right on the web page:
NOTE! This adaptor must be removed from the tyre valve after tyre inflation and before use of the motorcycle, it is for tyre inflation only and is not to be left on the wheel while the bike is being ridden.

Just remember to get a tube with the 90 degree valve the next time you change tires.. and make sure the ding dong mechanic puts it so it comes out on the brake side of the wheel!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 05/16/12 at 10:00:17

Bought mine on-line from an outfit in Seattle ... never came with any such warning. Came in a package of 2, gave one to a pal who installed it on his '85 Shadow 1100 with cast wheels ... no problems at all with his rear valve stem after 3 summers of Riding ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Megataur
YaBB Newbies

Two wheels and
plenty of land

Reply #6 - 05/16/12 at 10:34:18

Hi guys,

Now I'm quite concerned, I've installed this part and yes, I think PerrydaSavage has a point, but my L shaped valve doesn't really rotate much unless I rotate it myself.

It shouldn't really matter if it damages the OEM valve if you install it for good. After installing it the OEM is meant to be canceled and the actual valve is the installed L shaped one. I guess what I am trying to say is, as long as the L shaped valve is not leaking and you have it installed, you will not have a problem, until you take it out then there is a chance that that the OEM valve is screwed.

The warning on the web page is a concern too. Hmmm, I might need to figure out another solution.

Youzguyz, a 90 degree valve tire tube is the best solution when it's time to change it. This will probably take years though.

I agree with you Paraquat, the first thing I thought of when I got this thing, is that I should make sure it doesn't stick out of the spokes, all I had to do is tighten it a bit and it needs a bit of force now to rotate, I have it in an IN position and I rotate it out when I need to use it only.

the conclusion is, still risky, might cause damage and it has a clear warning about this. and even if the chance is small, a better solution should exist for whom try to find it.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:23:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First thing to buy for your spoke wheel Savage/S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.