Send Topic Print
Jungle Boots, Anyone? (Read 140 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Jungle Boots, Anyone?
05/15/12 at 11:51:20

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using jungle boots as riding boots?  My feet sweat profusely, and the better ventilation and light sand color of the new "Desert Storm" style ones would be just the ticket.  My question is, will the canvas sides hold up well enough if I should go down,  and will it melt if exposed to the exhaust?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Jungle Boots, Anyone?
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 11:55:57

Thanks for asking this! I have seen recommendations for the sneaker style hiking boots and wondered the same thing. I look forward to the answer.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/15/12 at 12:47:25

I have been using military desert tan hot weather boots for about 400 miles because it was the only boot I could find in my size. The heels and toes are hardened and there is a leather strap going over the ankle. The tongue and the panels above and below the ankle guard are vented. So far, no melting issues with the panel inserts or soles. Anything below 75 and my feet actually get cold. I can't attest to the safety of the boot or how it will do in really sweltering heat.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 14:12:54

Nuttin' beats leather, but anythin' beats nuttin'...
You'll probably get the distinctive, black left toe, biker syndrome on yer' pretty tan boots... Grin...
I think they'll do fine if you go down, but I don't know if they melt against a pipe...
I like boots with some ankle flex in them, and combat boots are good for that.  (Flex can save your knee and hip joints in a crash)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 16:14:10

Here's what I had in mind...

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7590&tabid=548&catid=6

I just don't want to shell out $100+ on a pair of boots just to have them destroyed by a hot pipe! :'(

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/15/12 at 19:37:10

I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Chippewa EPS boots for my next pair.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/engineer/27422

Of course, they will likely be warmer than the desert boots you've listed and summers in Texas can get toasty.  I just want to stick with leather.  I have melted nylon on my muffler before.  Not great for the hiking boot or the pipe. The pipe cleaned up a lot better.  There was very little leather on my hiking boots though, so you may fare much better.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/15/12 at 19:52:56

chippy's are good boots, got a pair myself.
kinda like trooper, but not.
my dad said they were good too.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 05/17/12 at 01:34:53

i wear a pair of canadian surplus army combats as riding boots ... more comfortable than most motorcycle boots at 1/2 the cost ... best thing I've ever had on my 'ol dogs! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/17/12 at 09:14:55

Have you considered buying some tan leather boots, and punching a bunch of holes in them?...
Like a perforated jacket...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 05/17/12 at 10:43:40

Serowbot wrote on 05/17/12 at 09:14:55:
Have you considered buying some tan leather boots, and punching a bunch of holes in them?...
Like a perforated jacket...
Huh...

I was wondering if they made perforated leather riding boots.  Seems like there could be a market for it.

Along these lines (not trying to hijack the thread), the coconut socks that RoadGear sells are really great socks.  They offer decent cushioning, they stay up, wick sweat very well and stay comfortable.  Supposedly the coconut fibers are antimicrobial, etc. too.  Be sure to check your pricing though.  Even though RoadGear was having 25% off sale on the socks at the time, I got the socks from them but sold on Amazon.com for less. I only bought two pairs to try but I am impressed enough that I will likely get a few more.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #10 - 05/17/12 at 10:58:02

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #11 - 05/17/12 at 20:58:37

I went ahead and ordered the boots.  The nylon canvas has to get pretty hot to melt, me thinks, and with my pant legs down all the way, I think I'll be feeling the burn before the boots.....I hope Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 14:58:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Jungle Boots, Anyone?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.