Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slight Pop on Shift (Read 86 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Slight Pop on Shift
05/14/12 at 23:57:45

I wanted a 2nd oppinion on my tuning. I know it's near impossible to illiminate the burps and brips from any bike more or less our beloved thumper.

I'm running an HD Dyna muffler and K&N Cone on the carb jetted at 55 w/ bleed holes pilot 152.5 main & 2 turns out. I have a very slight leak at the muffler exhaust joint that I've been unsuccesful at removing even with the tin can method and a bit more packed in there. I know a few decided to run with a slight leak.

When I ring the engine out a bit (not WOT) I will occasionally get a pop when shifting through 1-3. Don't get it 4-5. Do others get this pop? It's very mellow. I don't get it when de acceling or reving. Just on the occasional shift. It seems to scale with the rising temperature of the day.

As of now I just wrote it off as a side effect of the exhaust leak that I'm unable to fix at my current skill level. Was just wondering if anyone else got this running the same set up.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Slight Pop on Shift
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 05:43:53

I would think everyone could have that running any setup. These bike are known for doing it all,...... doing everything unpredictable as far as pops, rattles, and afterfiring. Many here have given the false asumption that all the backfiring can be elliminated. And many times it can be, but,.....probably only till the next time out, or the next temperature change, or the next tank of gas, or the next change in elevation, or even something as serious as not holding your mouth right !
If mine ever quits popping, rattling, backfiring, afterfiring, or any......or all of the above ......whatever...., I'll know I have a problem.
And tuning a bike to get rid of backfire is just plain wrong !
Every engine should be tuned to run correctly,.....and effeciently at all speeds.....including idle.
Many a carb has been hacked (ruined?) from tuning to backfire.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/15/12 at 06:00:33

A little burble or pop at shift is no biggee,, not that handy in a hospital zone, I like the noises this big single makes, even the grumblings on decel & pops between gears,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 14:56:09

Have that same exact issue. Don't let it bother me though. If anything it keeps the cars aware I'm next to them, or passing them Cool that is.

Like Routy said above a carb should be tuned to run well.  No choke on start, idles well, and runs well under throttle. I'll take that over a couple pops occasionally.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Realbtl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigfork MT
Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 15:37:59

This is reassuring to know.  I just put a Dyna on my bone stock 07 and noticed the same thing, slight pop/rasp on shifting.  No decel backfire to speak of, occasional fart/pop on shut down.  I'm at a bit over 3000' and I think I'll get by w/o re-jetting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:14:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slight Pop on Shift

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.