Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need a good ear in Cincinnati area. (Read 164 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Need a good ear in Cincinnati area.
05/14/12 at 13:57:02

My LS650 seems to have far more mechanical noise coming from the engine than I believe it should.  When I ride my Kawasaki KLR250 the mechanical noise from the engine (cam chain, piston slap, valves) is almost non-existent, and the tires and chain are louder than the engine when cruising down the highway.  On my 2007  LS650 which I just bought used with 262 miles on it (now 300) - the engine makes lot of ticking and whirring noise.  The noise is not too loud when at cruising speed, but at idle it is loud and increases when the throttle is opened quickly.  I would think it is too early to have problems with the cam chain tensioner or valve clearances.  It may be that the larger piston and other parts just make more noise - or there could be something going wacky.  The exhaust has been replaced with a SuperTrapp that is pretty loud and I just bought a Dyna muffler to see if that is a better muffler for my old ears =- but that is not going to make the mechanical noise any better.  I changed the oil last week and the oil looked good and there was not any evidence of metal in the oil.

Is there anyone in the Cincinnati, northern Kentucky or Indiana area that could listen to my bike - or let me hear their bike as a comparision?  I bought the tensioner spring update and plan on installing soon - but I would like to get a comparison with another bike to find out if mine is normal.....or has an issue.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Need a good ear in Cincinnati area.
Reply #1 - 05/14/12 at 14:26:49

That's real low miles... shouldn't be anything even broke-in yet...
... a big air-cooled engine will naturally be noisier than a small water-cooled... bigger moving parts, no insulating water jacket, and looser tolerances...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/14/12 at 17:12:18

Way too few miles for it to be going to pieces,, it is a noisy engine, Make sure youve got enough oil in it, its all oil,,& not gas,, & ride it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 09:47:53

I live on the east side (Anderson township to be precise) and have a bone-stock 2006 with almost 17000 miles on it.  PM me and we can meet up somewhere and compare notes.  I'm going to be out of town this weekend but I'm pretty much open after than.

Hm, this will be my 200th post. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/26/12 at 13:43:23

If anybody in the Cincinnati area has a Savage they wanna get rid of let me know!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/27/12 at 07:47:14

I watched Craigslist to find mine....unfortunately it was in New York City!  The day after I committed to driving 12 hours to pick it up - a pristine one showed up in Cincinnati on Craigslist.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/27/12 at 07:49:05

sjaskow came and listened to my bike - mine is much louder than his bike and he suggested the noise might be too big of valve clearances.  

I may hide from the heat in the garage today and set the valve clearances.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/27/12 at 14:15:48

I adjusted the valves today.  They were probably in spec.....I did tighten up to just a tiny bit.

It made no difference in the sound.  It is still pretty noisey and makes lots of ticking noises at low speed - faster speeds things get less mechanical sounding.

I guess I will just put some more miles on it and see if it breaks in - it still has less than 400 miles on it.

IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/30/12 at 15:08:18

Dave wrote on 05/27/12 at 14:15:48:
I guess I will just put some more miles on it and see if it breaks in - it still has less than 400 miles on it.

I am having the same "problem"! My savage is a '98 and had only 800 miles when I bought her. I have since put 500 miles on and now the transmission or engine is making a rattling/clicking sound.

I checked for loose pieces but all looks fine. One mechanic nearby thought it was my valves... Another agreed with my thoughts that it may be the cam chain tensioner. However, I keep running into the mental barrier that this bike is still so young!

Please tell me what you find when you open up to expose the cam chain tensioner. I might need to do the same if you find yours is loose.

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 10:26:21

This http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029 is the thread for checking the cam chain tensioner.  Where Dave's was rattling was much higher up the engine than where the tensioner noise should be which is why I thought it was valves.

I really don't remember mine being that noisy when it was new, but it's been almost 5 years since mine had less than 1000 miles on it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #10 - 05/31/12 at 11:41:23

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 05/31/12 at 10:26:21:
This http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029 is the thread for checking the cam chain tensioner.  Where Dave's was rattling was much higher up the engine than where the tensioner noise should be which is why I thought it was valves.

I really don't remember mine being that noisy when it was new, but it's been almost 5 years since mine had less than 1000 miles on it.

sjaskow........regardless if you were able to pinpoint it or not, it was very commendable to take the time to meet up with him and help out. Very classy move. I applaud you for that.  Smiley

Some great folks on this site.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/02/12 at 18:47:52

I have been working on my bike a lot this weekend.  I took the right side engine case off and installed the smaller tension spring that I got from Verslagen to help extend the life of my cam chain.  The tensioner was only out 13 mm so I am not yet in need of the extended plunger.  While I had things apart I stripped the clear coat off the engine case and polished the aluminum to bring back the shine.  I also took the carb apart and installed different jets and replaced the white spacer with 3 washers.  I will also be installing a Dyna muffler.

Nothing inside the right side of the engine looks like it would be causing any noise.....so when it is back together I will just ride it some more and see if getting through the break in will help to quiet things down.  The carb had a 144 Main and a 52.5 Pilot when I took it apart, and it was obvious that someone had been in the carb before as the idle air plug had been removed, the clamp on the cylinder was waaaay too tight, and the allen screws on the float bowl and slide cover were boogered up.  I went and got new screws to put it back together.  I put a 150 main and a 55 Pilot in....we will see if that works on my bike.
[img][/img]

Savage_001.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/20/12 at 09:06:06

I had adjusted my valves to 0.004 - which is the middler range of the allowable 0.003 to 0.005 range.  The valves were still noisey.

Last night I set the valves to the 0.003" feeler gauge would slide through without much resistance - but the 0.004" would not slide between the valve and rocker.

The valves are much quieter - however I still think it makes more noise than it should.  It runs fine, there are no metal pieces in the oil - I am anxious to see what the other guys think when I ride the "Tail of the Dragon" trip with them.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/20/12 at 11:30:06

Youre supposed to adjust valves at 500 miles. At 400 you may have needed it already. If youll look at the tip of the adjuster, youll see its pretty pointy. It will mash down & work harden & over time, the valves wont need adjusted as often, By the time youve got 20,000 miloes on it, it wont need messed with near as often.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:18:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need a good ear in Cincinnati area.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.