Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law (Read 218 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law
Reply #15 - 05/14/12 at 11:11:30

I was in a bike wreck 4 weeks ago and was knocked unconcious when my head hit the pavement, if i had not been wearing a helmet there is a very good chance i would not be typing this today...... Shocked

This is learned advice if you love your children and family ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/14/12 at 11:38:59

That it is obvious a helmet should be worn is one thing, to have the government demand it is another,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #17 - 05/14/12 at 11:49:38

Starlifter wrote on 05/13/12 at 20:00:20:
However, since the new law has come into effect I am very happy to report that through my personal observations hardly anyone is riding without a helmet despite the new law, proving that Michigan riders are a lot smarter than our stupid governor.

It is the opposite over here on the West side of the state.  Since the law was repealed I would say I see over half (if not more) of folks not wearing a helmet.  

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #18 - 05/14/12 at 12:15:30

Some of you need to refresh your 4th grade math skills.

How repealing a helmet law would increase insurance company profitability is illogical and impossible.

How many millions does it cost your health insurer to keep a vegetable on a ventilator for years who got that way thru traumatic brain injury?

What about your life insurer's premature payment of your life insurance benefits or your disability insurer's paying out decades of disabililty payments?

Insurance companies are the primary sponsors and advocates of helmet and seat belt laws; but some folks will promote any illogical idea to bash insurance comanies.

I guess insurance companies are a lot like lawyers - everyone loves to hate them until you need them.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #19 - 05/14/12 at 12:26:15

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/14/12 at 12:15:30:
Some of you need to refresh your 4th grade math skills.

How repealing a helmet law would increase insurance company profitability is illogical and impossible.

How many millions does it cost your health insurer to keep a vegetable on a ventilator for years who got that way thru traumatic brain injury?

What about your life insurer's premature payment of your life insurance benefits or your disability insurer's paying out decades of disabililty payments?

Insurance companies are the primary sponsors and advocates of helmet and seat belt laws; but some folks will promote any illogical idea to bash insurance comanies.

I guess insurance companies are a lot like lawyers - everyone loves to hate them until you need them.

Jerry - The way the law was written was that in order for you to be eligible to go helmetless (is that a word?) you must be 21 or older, have your MC endorsement for 2 years or pass the safety course, and also have at least $20,000 in medical coverage through your insurance company.  The last caveat is the direct result of insurance lobbyists claiming they needed to offset their losses from the probable increase in severe injuries.

So the helmet law isn't simply repealed, they are forcing you into purchasing more insurance and increasing your premiums if you want to ride without a helmet.  Its a win for the conservative Governor who can say he is repealing laws and creating "less government", and its a win for the insurance companies who get to collect higher premiums.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 05/14/12 at 12:41:59

You guys aren't required to have medical?

Hell, that all I have is medical and liability.

the bike is so cheap, I don't care, I'll get a new one.
and if someone else runs me over, they pay for it.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #21 - 05/14/12 at 12:46:03

Yep.  It seems to me that whatever increases the danger and treachery (is that a word?  Cheesy) of motorcycling will ultimately increase the size of the insurance business as it pertains to motorcycling.  That remains true whether the govt requires mandatory minimum coverage, or just that premiums naturally go up as a result of more severe or frequent claims.

Personally, I like when a helmet law is repealed, as it was in Texas.  Because when a cop sees you with your helmet on, and you're not required by law to have it, he regards you as a safe rider and is less likely to hassle you over a minor traffic or sticker infraction.

For a short while, the helmet law had been repealed for motorcycles in Texas, but there was still a bicycling helmet law in Austin.  So if you went lidless, your bike had better have a motor on it, or you were in trouble.  After a couple of weeks, the city noticed the absurdity of that, and repealed the bicycle helmet law.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #22 - 05/14/12 at 13:26:20

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/12 at 12:41:59:
You guys aren't required to have medical?

Hell, that all I have is medical and liability.

the bike is so cheap, I don't care, I'll get a new one.
and if someone else runs me over, they pay for it.

Here is Michigan we also have no-fault insurance.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 05/14/12 at 13:36:01

Yeah, the Texas law used to require that you be over 21 as well as have successfully completed an approved basic motorcycle safety course or have $10K in health insurance in order to receive a sticker for your license which would allow you to ride without a helmet.  Texas Senate Bill 1967 was signed into law by Gov. Rick Perry on June 19, 2009.  As I read it, this law still requires health insurance but removes the $10K minimum.  It also appears to now require successful completion of the motorcycle safety course before an original class M license is granted, as well as requiring additional motorcycle awareness training being added to all driver's education programs.

Texas Department of Public Safety Motorcycle Helmet Exemptions

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 05/14/12 at 13:46:52

Dutch82 wrote on 05/14/12 at 13:26:20:
Here is Michigan we also have no-fault insurance.

Is that where the cage driver says "I never saw the motorcycle. He came out of nowhere!" and then it's not his fault?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #25 - 05/14/12 at 16:01:11

Rob, you sly fox, in the Great Lakes State when any motorcycle is involved in an accident with another vehicle it is the other vehicle’s responsibility to pay for the personal injuries of the road potato cyclist ; no matter who is at fault.

When Mister Tree, Peter Pitbull, or Joey Mailbox jump out in front of a  Do or Don’t Dewrag – the foul stench of finger pointing and litigation rear their ugly heads as body parts are collected in plastic bags.

Consensus in the Coffee Shop?  All Do the Dew Rag road kill becomes automatic parts donors except for one organ – the brain !!!!

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 05/14/12 at 17:54:11

I've known people who lived because of their helmets. I've buried plenty of others who would have walked away if they had been without one. Depends on how you wreck. And how you land.

I prefer to ride without a helmet. And do, at places I deem safe to do so. Freeways and city streets don't fit that category for me.

Try living in a true nanny state (Washington). Where you have to have a helmet and endorsement, but motorcycle insurance is optional (as in, not required). State seems to be happy to pick up downed riders' tabs. Kinda makes me miss living under Marxist rule...NOT. I'll pay my $86 a YEAR for full coverage, wear my lid (have you seen the so called drivers in west TN) on the road and go across the river to Arkansas if I want to ride lidless. Lower population in that state than in my county.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 05/15/12 at 00:13:04

The first total I had on a bike, if I had been wearing a helmet, I woulda been dead, immediately, with a broken neck, cracked 3 vertebrae anyway,the bottom of a helmet between shoulder & head would have jacked my head up & away from my back when I landed on the side of my head..

Second total. no helmet.. & I didnt hit my head & it was a pretty bad single vehicle crash.

First 2, single vehicle.,.

3rd total.,Stuffed it into the side of a pickup, when the guy decided to turn left as I was working on passing him, I bent the cab corner with my face, well, it woulda been my face, but I was wearin a flip face & walked away..I mite have lived, but I woulda been way seriously hurt.l

I wish WD would expand some on his knowledge/experience.

I guess Popeye had it right,

Ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/15/12 at 05:15:19

That's the point JOG; not anymore...

Ya pays yer taxes, Uncle Sam decides what chances ya take...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #29 - 05/15/12 at 06:01:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/14/12 at 11:38:59:
That it is obvious a helmet should be worn is one thing, to have the government demand it is another,

+2

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:19:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.