Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law (Read 218 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law
05/13/12 at 20:00:20

Well now our assshole Republican governor here in Michigan has resended our helmet law.

I think the next thorn in our Gov. Rick Snyder’s side should be a class action suit for reckless endangerment of our citizens. Why? For signing the “no helmet” law into effect giving motorcyclists the right to scatter their brains on Michigan roads.

It seems to me like a thinly veiled attempt to help the insurance companies rake in still more profits, as they will be writing more policies with the $20,000 additional insurance coverage requirement.

And we here in Michigan all know that Snyder’s all over anything that promotes a corporate society.

I suspect most of those folks giving the helmet a toss are just begging Darwin to do what Darwin does best: clean up the gene pool.

I would suppose to some that freedom of choice means more to them than life itself...well lets see how many freedoms the can enjoy as a vegetable in some nursing home (that the rest of us more 'responsible' riders will have to pay for).

However, since the new law has come into effect I am very happy to report that through my personal observations hardly anyone is riding without a helmet despite the new law, proving that Michigan riders are a lot smarter than our stupid governor.

ATGATT *Starlifter

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law
Reply #1 - 05/13/12 at 20:19:53

I was watching tv yesterday when the gal speaking noted (topic of discussion was the TIME mag picture of the lucky 3 yr old boy) that the government has the right to mandate reasonable safety standards eg seat belt and motorcycle helmets  but shouldn't get into the child rearing business.

I wonder why she felt the government has the right to require  our safety?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 05/13/12 at 20:37:25

"I wonder why she felt the government has the right to require our safety?"

Umm, well because without seatbelts, traffic rules, drunken driving laws, helmet laws, RR crossing signals, safe food & drug laws, firearms restrictions, and a hundred other safety regulations, rules and laws, there would be even higher costs to us all in the form of additional hospital care, law suits, insurance costs etc. not to mention a much higher risk to all of us every time we venture outside our houses.

Your freedoms end where the other persons safety concerns, out of pocket costs, and other considerations of the costly stupidity of who others affect us all.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 05/13/12 at 20:54:31

It is amazing that the population has been able to explode the way it has with out the government having been there to keep them from killing themselves off. Anyone who wants to have the freedom to choose if they wear a helmet should just shut up and move to a free country.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/13/12 at 23:23:47

No helmet law here...  80% wear helmets anyway....
The rest,... Darwin takes care of....
Proof.... evolution trumps creationism Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 05/14/12 at 03:55:03

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/12 at 23:23:47:
No helmet law here...  80% wear helmets anyway....
The rest,... Darwin takes care of....
Proof.... evolution trumps creationism Huh...

True... until the widow / mother of the late "Junior" sues you to hell and back, and you have to work your 4$$ off for the rest of your life to pay the multimillion dollar compensation...

On the other hand, how long does it take you to don a helmet?
How long is one year's physiotheorapy to recuperate from accident-induced paraplegy?

Freedom, yes; running the risk that someone else will spatter his brains on MY windshield? No thanks...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #6 - 05/14/12 at 04:29:26

Starlifter, I agree with you that it was an attempt to line the insurance companies’ pockets, but it wasn’t a veiled attempt in my case.  Days before Snyder signed on the dotted line my insurance renewal came in the mail with the Twenty Thousand additional coverage and a Twenty Dollar increase in annual premium.  Who are they fooling – Twenty Thousand won’t get you through the emergency room.

Here I was looking for a decrease going from insuring a Triumph Trophy 1200 to my Savage, and I get an increase – bummer.  Well at least there is three less carbs to cause trouble and better fuel milage.

Over on this side of the State there seems to be bunches of bikers taking advantage of their new freedom to wear do-rags, but as the better half quipped, “ They are all old guys on Harlys.”  I have to agree with her on that one.  It looks dumb and I won’t be using that freedom.  Oh, and I always agree with her, or there is Hell to paid.

Going up to Baldwin this weekend for the blessing. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that I’ll be wishing I had stock in a Do-Rag company.

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/14/12 at 04:59:49

I don’t recall ever riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but I also don’t recall putting one on because Uncle Sam told me to.

I’ve climbed a few mountains, camped in the winter snows, kayaked, rode dirt bikes, raced a few times, shot some guns, assorted other stupid things, decided who to work for and who not to work for, married a woman, we raised two kids, and helped them pick a college. Somehow managed to do all this without somebody from the government looking over my shoulder and insisting I follow every nosey-a$$ opinion that they managed to get written down as a law.

You want to splatter your grey matter out all over the interstate, go ahead, but here’s the deal. Don’t come to me asking for help paying someone to change your diapers for the next 30 years and I won’t treat you like a baby by pushing helmet laws.

It’s your life; it does not belong to the government of the United States of America.  Kudos to the people of Michigan for remembering this.

and yes uno, do-rags are just another piece of the typical Harley rider's uniform they have to put on before they go for a ride, but freedom to look stupid is something to be celebrated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/14/12 at 05:05:08

As I recall, helmets reduce the chance of death in an accident.
but you'll have to agree there's a better chance of living with a disability.

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/14/12 at 05:11:55

How out of control has the nanny state become?....

I literally just made my post, had the TV on in the background and heard a story about a town in New Jersey banning Texting while walking!!! Really?! What’s next? ATGATT while taking the mutt for a walk around the block?!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/14/12 at 05:25:55

Ohh, Lifter,, Im shocked. YOu act as if someone is requiring people to not wear a helmet.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 05/14/12 at 07:20:13

I personally like the no helmet option. I am one that feels the world is already past its carrying capacity (AKA way effing overpopulated) so the more opportunity to get rid of some of the darwin award winners the better.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 05/14/12 at 07:56:07

Liberals, the defenders of human rights and upholders of "freedom" always telling someone else what to do...

I wear a helmet, but why force someone to use a safety precaution that only affects them self?

Why not just outlaw motorcycles altogether?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 05/14/12 at 09:23:32

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/12 at 05:05:08:
As I recall, helmets reduce the chance of death in an accident.
but you'll have to agree there's a better chance of living with a disability.

Regarding other bodily disabilities, that may well be true.  However, it does reduce the incidence of both death and that of living with a debilitating brain injury (or as a vegetable).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #14 - 05/14/12 at 10:04:56

Everyone who refuses to wear a helmet should be required to submit to a vaginal - or anal - probe. Every time they refuse. Purpose? To ascertain the location of their head.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:20:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Michigan Resends Motorcycle Helmet Law

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.