Send Topic Print
handle bar questions (Read 131 times)
claytron1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

handle bar questions
05/13/12 at 17:24:52

hey guys, i have a 86 ls 650 savage, just buiolt solid struts and playing around with it. but i ordered some z bars that have a 6 inch rise. im thinking ill end of having to put new cables on, but does anyone know if i can get new cables at a regular auto parts store? pr will i have to get them from suzuki or aftermarket bike store?? thanks guys!!

IP Logged
aaronjbaker84
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Re: handle bar questions
Reply #1 - 05/14/12 at 05:43:32

You might get away with not having to get new cables at all.  Are you adding risers or just the bars?

IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 05/14/12 at 11:52:07

You won't need new cables.  I have 8 inchers on mine with cable to spare.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
lownslow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/12 at 15:53:26

Sorry to thread jack, but I went to put on 8" mini apes, and all my cables are about 2" too short...but even at that, I had to route everything back through the tree so they ran between the tree and the tank.  Is there a trick to squeezing a bit more out of the cables?  I'm sure I'll need a longer front brake line, but the electrical is probably too much of a hassle to cut and lengthen.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/14/12 at 18:14:18

If you had stock flat bars the cables are too short. If you had stock buckhorns you should have no problems with 8" TOTAL rise. If you have 8" bars on the later model drag bar risers, buy new cables, some light wire (stock harness is pathetically light) and some heat shrink butt connectors. Extending the harness is easy.

Always try your local independent shop for cables and hoses. My bike with 15" apehangers runs a Harley throttle cable, Kawasaki clutch cable and generic catalog sourced braided stainless front brake line. I extended the wiring myself, takes 1/2 an hour.

Or cheat and get hold of Lancer from this board. Barnett cable/hose supplier.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
lownslow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/14/12 at 22:40:01

I had stock risers on my S40, but I removed them when I tried to install my 8" apes.  Hmmm...I dunno...maybe I'll bite the bullet and get new cables/extend my wiring.  I was just hoping there was an easier way I haven't found yet.  Thanks anyway!

IP Logged
claytron1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/15/12 at 18:45:39

right on guys, i have the stock 3 1/5 inch risers, with the 6 inch z bars, should be a total of 9 1/5 inches, im waiting for the bars to get here and then ill find out, im pumped to put em on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:21:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › handle bar questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.