Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbe and budget bobber build (Read 246 times)
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbe and budget bobber build
05/13/12 at 12:55:26

Hey !
First I'd like to thank those who have put up info here which has helped me BIGTIME !  , Jetting and cam chain adjuster in particular.
So, a week ago today I purchased an 86 LS at a yard sale, it had been crashed 6 years ago, wouldnt shift after the crash and ended up sitting out in the elements for six years, the bike was completly stock.
So far I have gotten it running, found the shift ratchet was broken off the shift drum and fixed that, made the cam chain tensioner extention and rejetted the carb along with valve adjust, oil change ect.
Then came the fun part, stripped off about 100 pounds of junk and went at building it up to get the look I want, Bars and headlight were donated from a freinds honda shadow, harley turn out muffler, cut the rear of the frame and lowered it to allow a better line for the seat, fabricated a seatpan and covered it, moved the electricals to the airbox and installed a pod type filter made from a Kaw vulcan filter,fabricated the lic plate mount, installed a different rear fender and a vulcan mirror.
I have small bullet type signals coming as well as a set of Rich's forward controls and a right side airbox cover.
I am pretty happy with the results so far, still have some issues to work out but its running quite well considering. One thing I could use some advice on is that someone drilled out the fuel mixture plug and kept going which then drilled right into the head of the adjuster screwing it all the way in, I now have no way of backing it out for proper adjustment so I have a high idle( to keep it running) and decel backfires bigtime. any advice short of replacing the carb would be appreciated.
Cant wait to get it finshed so I can tear it down for paint, So far about 4 bills invested and a week of tinkering.
"D"

005_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Newbe and budget bobber build
Reply #1 - 05/13/12 at 13:01:02

Another view

003_001.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/13/12 at 13:11:21

Welcome D

we coulda used a tech thread how you fixed the shifter.

nice seat, like to see how it fits.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/13/12 at 13:22:37

The shift ratchet ( for lack of a better term) is held onto the drum by a long shouldered bolt, that bolt had snapped off leaving the threaded portion in the drum, I removed the  piece from the drum then went to a friends and borrowed his lathe and made the new part.
The seat fits fine, thank you very much  Cheesy
There will be more pics as things proggress.
And thanks so much for your info on the chain adjuster , I kinda stole the idea but left the slot and pin out.
verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/12 at 13:11:21:
Welcome D

we coulda used a tech thread how you fixed the shifter.

nice seat, like to see how it fits.   Wink

IP Logged
kritchie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - 05/13/12 at 13:32:47

that looks great i have an 86 as well and plan on bobbing it over the winter.

Have you tried an easy out screw extractor to remove the adjuster screw and replace it with a new one as the threads should be still ok just screw is for a lack of a better word "screwed"
kritchie

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/13/12 at 13:33:15

Denise wrote on 05/13/12 at 13:22:37:
And thanks so much for your info on the chain adjuster , I kinda stole the idea but left the slot and pin out.

The double hole idea was from slavy, and while it addresses the chain life problem, does not prevent the plunger from coming out of the housing.  Which I took care of with the pin and slot.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/13/12 at 14:10:37

being that you have machines available to you...

maybe my experience with the plug will help.
A newb came to me cause his attempt at removing the plug failed.
and knowing many have screwed up on it decided to look for help.
He drilled the hole and the screw wouldn't engage with it.
rather than deal with it, I took a dremel with a carbide burr and opened up the hole till it was just shy of the carb hoping it would just pop out, but it didn't.  I took a 4 fluted end mill that just fit the hole, chucked it in a hand drill and pushed it in the hole.  as soon as it touched metal the plug spun free.

So I would remove the carb, put it on the mill and cut four small slots in the head.  Find an appropriate end mill and using the mill to align it and apply down pressure, but turn it by hand.

Now with the slots in the head of that screw, you'll have to decide, use it or replace it.

WWW   IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/13/12 at 16:03:39

[quote author=657661607F7274767D22130 link=1336938927/0#6 date=1336943437]being that you have machines available to you...

maybe my experience with the plug will help.

So , if I get what you are saying, mill the carb down to the level of the screw, then cut the slots in the screw and use the end mill to engage and unscrew it?

Here is what I have
I am assuming the person just kept drilling and the drilling action went through the plug ( which is no longer there)and bottomed the screw, there is a pretty deep recess drilled in the screw and what appears to be threads showing, this has been exposed to the elements for years so there also appears to be some corrosion happening in there.
I guess I have little to lose but have been having too much fun riding to go for it before at least having another screw on hand and maybe even an extra carb, think I'll have a look on ebay for a carb. Hmmmm.

015_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/13/12 at 16:10:42

Might just give that a go since there is already a hole in it, Thanks!

kritchie wrote on 05/13/12 at 13:32:47:
that looks great i have an 86 as well and plan on bobbing it over the winter.

Have you tried an easy out screw extractor to remove the adjuster screw and replace it with a new one as the threads should be still ok just screw is for a lack of a better word "screwed"
kritchie

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/13/12 at 16:23:42

Id get a left handed drill bit or use some quick dry epoxy & glue a cut off pencil to it. Just make sure ya dont glue it into the carb.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/13/12 at 18:22:16

I got a used carb through the marketplace & had the same problem. I picked up a set of these screw extractors fron H-F & they took it out no problem. I got a new one from Biker Bandit, carb repaired.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
CTeunuch
YaBB Newbies

Sudbury, MA
Reply #11 - 05/13/12 at 20:12:33

Loving the look, it's just what I'm shooting for. What's the muffler off of?

Think Twice Garage
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem."
  IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/13/12 at 20:39:05

CTeunuch wrote on 05/13/12 at 20:12:33:
Loving the look, it's just what I'm shooting for. What's the muffler off of?

Its an ebay buy , aftermarket harley from the 80's, plenty of other turn out harley mufflers on ebay.

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #13 - 05/13/12 at 23:49:43

I'm diggin' the bob, nice work. I love that seat where did you procure that?

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/14/12 at 05:44:26

heroicseven wrote on 05/13/12 at 23:49:43:
I'm diggin' the bob, nice work. I love that seat where did you procure that?

I fabricated the seat pan from 3/32 sheet steel , made brackets so it slides in at the front and is held by one bolt in the rear, I used a body grinder to reshape the original seat foam then covered it, it will get a sewn cover at some point to get rid of the wrinkles.
actually nothing looked good untill I cut the fender/seat struts ,bent them down and rewelded

001_002.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:19:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbe and budget bobber build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.