Send Topic Print
Oil Coolers (Read 707 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil Coolers
Reply #15 - 05/14/12 at 09:06:55

I would and have used car Mobil One in motorcycles,I would rather and know it would be better than a diesel oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 05/14/12 at 09:21:10

Mobil 1 will make your clutch slip under high acceleration.

Of course you wouldn't know that.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 05/14/12 at 10:10:39

No it want make your clutch slip.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 05/14/12 at 11:44:57

Moly (which has been dropped into a lot of car based oils to partially replace ZDDP) does make a wet clutch slip and Mobil 1 (the standard bottle) has been contraindicated by the sports bike guys accordingly.  

Mobil 1 also makes a very expensive bike oil though, which is what Bill should say he is trying to talk about.

Grin          I keeps on telling ya, I can speak Billish after a fashion .....

Rotella T6 still get the big nod from the crotch rocket boys though as best bike oil for dollar spent.

So, Bill is mebbe partially right again

(best he can generally get to in these little oil discussions of ours but he is trying to increase his percentage .....)

Grin   Grin   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/14/12 at 12:02:03

He want gasp the basics of our conversation.
but the viscosity of the situation slips his mind.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 05/14/12 at 12:42:48

I am talking about car not motorcycle Mobil One.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 05/14/12 at 12:59:56

See, Bill has taken the trouble to clarify that perhaps he really doesn't know what the Mobil he's is talking about.

Bill, 'ol "it isn't motorcycle oil" himself is saying a non JASO car based group III oil should be used in a Savage engine, especially an SN formulation with less than 600 ppm of ZDDP with moly added back in to it to try to take up some of the rapid wear slack.

No wonder he thinks we should all have rapid cam chain and flat tappet wear -- and slippy clutches too !!!

Grin   Grin   Grin

Now Bill, WHEN did you use this good Mobil 1 oil?    

When counts in this question, as Mobil 1 before SM actually had some ZDDP in it and it didn't have moly in it either.   Red cap Mobil 1 Extended SL formulation actually spec'd out to be good oil, but that was what, 5-6 years ago now.

« Last Edit: 05/15/12 at 06:04:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 05/14/12 at 13:07:48

Boys I have 2 motorcycles,The Intruder 1500 has Mobil One car oil in it now and has always had it in,And the clutch has never slipped,Now when did you use Mobil One car oil in a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 05/14/12 at 13:17:10

The only S40s that are showing wear are the ones using Rotella oil in them, (some proof please) Theres people on here that have driven 50000 miles on s40 with no problem, (who please) My wifes GN 400 went 26000 mile nothing done to it and no problems (and this applies how?).You guys are your own worst problem playing around with diesel oil and see how much its costing you, you have all kinds of problems.   (Now this is true, both Verslagen and I have modded and ridden the pure tee stuffin's out of our Savages -- our problems from this don't stem from the oil we use per se)

« Last Edit: 05/14/12 at 21:41:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 05/14/12 at 13:18:51

News Flash !!!

Bill has just abandoned his ages long stance on "JASO approved motorcycle oils only" and apparently he has thrown his red koolade under the bus as well.

Bill is using $6 a quart automotive Mobil 1 for use in motorcycles and recommending it to the masses instead of his previous $13 a quart red magic compounds.

Oh Klotz, how sharper than a serpent's tooth is an unfaithful Billium ....

Now Bill, if you want to play you have to specify which weight and exact bottle of Mobil 1 you are using.

Grin   Grin   Grin

Shoot us up a pic of the bottle so we can properly discuss your choice.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 05/14/12 at 13:27:08

10w 30 mobil not the extended I use that in my car.I use Klotz 15 50 in the S40 and when I change my 1500 it will be klotz 10 40.I'm saying Mobil One is better than that diesel oil you guys have all the trouble with.

OF replies:   Bill, not only are you not using a JASO motorcycle oil you are using the wrong summer weight of car oil in it.   10w30 is too light for the 1500 Intruder in summer time use, Suzuki recommends 10w40 for the 1500 Intruder for year round use and simply doesn't tell you you can use 10w30 in the summer at all.  

Now, I realize it gets cold up around the Great Lakes so I could see using a good 10w30 JASO bike oil when the snow is flying (winter only) but you freely admit to leaving the 10w30 car oil in your Intruder for two solid years, summer and winter.

Why do you go so durn thin on your bigger displacement (750cc per bore) motorcycle when you "overweight" the Savage with a 20w50 Klotz synthetic?

« Last Edit: 05/14/12 at 21:19:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #26 - 05/14/12 at 14:26:00

Sorry guys. This was not my intention. I was just curious.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #27 - 05/14/12 at 15:22:02

Don't worry about it Greg, when an oil war is due, an oil war is due  Wink

But a good follow-up question might be: Is it ok to let your engine run hot as long as the oil is a good synthetic that can handle it without breaking down?  Probably not, huh.   Adding an oil cooler is still a good idea.

OF replies:    Nobody plans to overheat their bike due to idling in traffic.   It happens though.   Having a sump full of T6 means it is a total non-event to you instead of a potentially "bad thing happening to ya".    

Remember, all "over the road" big diesel engines have oil lubricated turbochargers and turbo hot side bearings get VERY HOT in use (500+ degrees is not uncommon) -- Rotella T6 lives in this environment unharmed for hundreds of thousands of miles.

==================

And at the very low idling Savage oil pressure levels and flow levels, just how much oil movement and cooling effects do you thing you are gonna get out of that little oil cooler?  Yeah, the one that is sitting still with no air flow going through it right now either,  just a sitting there right next to that hot arsed jug?  

And the tiny amount of oil in the head oil passages and the head cam oil bath is just a sitting there, smoking & slowly turning black ....    Seems the shiny expensive oil cooler tries to cool the oil down in the sump, but it doesn't affect the oil up in the head right now at all ......

Cheesy

What is plumb funny to me though is the people who are paying more dollars for three $8.99 quarts of a name brand dino based "motorcycle oil" that simply can't cut the 500o+ overheating mustard than they would pay for an entire GALLON of T6 at Walmart's every day low $22 price.  

Remember == T6 is noted as being very very heat stable (it is not even going to notice your overheating episode at all).

Grin   Grin   Grin

« Last Edit: 05/15/12 at 06:21:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 05/14/12 at 15:41:00

Greg wrote on 05/14/12 at 14:26:00:
Sorry guys. This was not my intention. I was just curious.

Arg, keel haulin' is too good for ya   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 05/14/12 at 16:40:27

Wow, I've been missing the party !

IP Logged