Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Temporary enrichment problem. (Read 228 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Temporary enrichment problem.
05/12/12 at 17:11:32

This started last year when I tried the "cut spring" mod to get rid of backfire. It got rid of the backfire but the idle was all over the place, So I bought a new spring. Ever since then when I let go of the throttle, or back it off when coming to a stop, it wants to shut off. The idle drops right off. I have to be very careful, and run it at 12-1300 idle speed. Still sometimes it happens. I occurred to me that I had damaged the diaphragm, so I replaced it. No better. Today I pulled the carb, dis assembled it, used a carb cleaning tool in all the passages, cleaned it with carb cleaner, and blew it out with compressed air. I found nothing. The carb was basically clean to start with.
I have a Raask exhaust with baffles, a K&N slab filter in place of the stock filter, a 55 pilot with bleed holes, and a 150 main with a Dial-a-Jet to assist. I did a plug read today and it is a beautiful tan colour.
When I have the choke pulled out a notch it runs rich, but the RPM falls down to idle as it should. I have set the idle mixture as per Serow's thread. It is 2 turns out.
I can only get the smallest wire in the carb cleaning set through the hole from the TEV to the throat. Is that right, or should I be able to get a larger wire through?
Do I need to go up a pilot jet size?
I am stumped, and starting to get very discouraged. Sad

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Temporary enrichment problem.
Reply #1 - 05/12/12 at 17:13:28

I dont know about your carb problem, but my checking account could tolerate some enrichment. I promise, it would only be temporary.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 18:06:07

Try the method I was told for idle mixture screw (also known as pilot screw, NOT pilot jet screw) tuning... here it is, I forgot who posted it:

- with the bike off, turn the idle mixture screw all the way in, then count it two full turns out
- start the bike and using the idle speed screw (left side), bump up your idle a bit (makes things a bit easier to hear, less likely to die).
- back the idle mixture screw out slowly, count 1/4 turns at a time (waiting a tad between each adjustment), until revs start to drop
- from that position, count 1/4 turns in again until the revs drop again (so you'll turn the screw through the "happy idle" range).
- divide the number of turns from "screw too far out and rough idle" to "screw too far in and rough idle" in half, and set the screw there. should be pretty close to ideal jetting if the pilot is the right size.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/12/12 at 19:06:48

Quote:
Ever since then when I let go of the throttle, or back it off when coming to a stop, it wants to shut off. The idle drops right off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The way you explain this, it sounds like when you back off the throttle, the fuel supply is temporarly being completely shut off.....incl the idle fuel. This is more than an idle adjustment. It seems you know about when this started,......in that case I think I'd still go back to anything you mite have done,.....or done wrong, and go from there. If I knew the carb better, I mite be able to help you better  Wink

My '07, w/ stock carb (except 1/2 spacer mod) runs and idles, better than any bike I've ever had, and it still has the brass plug over the mix screw.
But,......yep, it backfires,.....its supposed to ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/12/12 at 19:37:13

Routy wrote on 05/12/12 at 19:06:48:
My '07, w/ stock carb (except 1/2 spacer mod) runs and idles, better than any bike I've ever had, and it still has the brass plug over the mix screw.
But,......yep, it backfires,.....its supposed to ! Grin

My '07 with stock everything and brass plug also runs and idles ideally, and backfires are rare. Maybe they just got things right in '07?  Wink

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 05/12/12 at 20:20:31

I tuned mine as per the instructions I posted and the decels pops stopped almost entirely.. no spacer mod.. but I'm gonna throw in that spacer mod to see if I can't get some more throttle response.. I liked the little pops though  Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 05/12/12 at 20:33:43

Built2Last wrote on 05/12/12 at 18:06:07:
Try the method I was told for idle mixture screw (also known as pilot screw, NOT pilot jet screw) tuning... here it is, I forgot who posted it:

- with the bike off, turn the idle mixture screw all the way in, then count it two full turns out
- start the bike and using the idle speed screw (left side), bump up your idle a bit (makes things a bit easier to hear, less likely to die).
- back the idle mixture screw out slowly, count 1/4 turns at a time (waiting a tad between each adjustment), until revs start to drop
- from that position, count 1/4 turns in again until the revs drop again (so you'll turn the screw through the "happy idle" range).
- divide the number of turns from "screw too far out and rough idle" to "screw too far in and rough idle" in half, and set the screw there. should be pretty close to ideal jetting if the pilot is the right size.

Did that.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 05/12/12 at 20:36:35

You did it already or just now? Did it work?

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #8 - 05/13/12 at 06:04:56

Your issue sounds really similar to my fluctuating idle. It's really annoying.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/13/12 at 06:13:12

When you disassembled the carb did you remove the choke/enrichment assembly and check the passageways going to the pilot circuit ?
Was the diaphragm you replaced the little one on the right side with the spring you cut or the large on on the slide ?

No cracks in the slide diaphragm or pinches on the edge of it upon installation ?

Is the butterfly valve positioned perfectly in the carb bore ?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 05/13/12 at 07:30:00

LANCER wrote on 05/13/12 at 06:13:12:
When you disassembled the carb did you remove the choke/enrichment assembly and check the passageways going to the pilot circuit ?
Was the diaphragm you replaced the little one on the right side with the spring you cut or the large on on the slide ?

No cracks in the slide diaphragm or pinches on the edge of it upon installation ?

Is the butterfly valve positioned perfectly in the carb bore ?

I replaced the small diaphragm.
The butterfly seats perfectly.
I removed the choke assembly. Was there something else to remove?
I cleaned the large diaphragm and found no cracks in it.
I cleaned every passage I could find.
I can only get the smallest wire in the carb cleaning set through the hole from the TEV to the throat. Is that right, or should I be able to get a larger wire through?

« Last Edit: 05/13/12 at 09:31:11 by arteacher »  

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 05/13/12 at 15:32:57

OK- I tore it all apart again today just in case I missed something. I didn't. Put it all back together and it still had the problem.
The only thing I can think of is that there is a restriction in the passage between the throat and the TEV valve. As I said before- I can only get the smallest wire in the K&L cleaning tool through it.
If someone has a carb sitting around could you please tell me what diameter that hole is before I drill it out and possibly screw up the casting.
I would appreciate it very much.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 05/13/12 at 15:38:52

I can tell you in a day or two if no one gets back to you when I have my carb apart for the spacer mod, I'm just waiting on the screws to be delivered..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 05/13/12 at 16:20:50

arteacher wrote on 05/13/12 at 15:32:57:
OK- I tore it all apart again today just in case I missed something. I didn't. Put it all back together and it still had the problem.
The only thing I can think of is that there is a restriction in the passage between the throat and the TEV valve. As I said before- I can only get the smallest wire in the K&L cleaning tool through it.
If someone has a carb sitting around could you please tell me what diameter that hole is before I drill it out and possibly screw up the casting.
I would appreciate it very much

The small wire through the hole is ok

Did you clear out the end hole and 2 side holes in the little brass tube sticking down into the side of the float bowl from the carb body ?
The carb cleaning tool smallest wires should go into the tube end hole at least a full inch...maybe 1.5".

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 05/13/12 at 16:36:05

Yep. In the last two days I have studied Mikuni carbs and how they work, and cleaned everything. I would suspect the Dial--Jet, except the plug looks like the mixture is good. The thing is... it was working perfectly until I tried the "cut spring" mod, and no matter what I have done, it hasn't gotten back to normal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Temporary enrichment problem.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.