Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting into an uphill turn from a stop... (Read 147 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Starting into an uphill turn from a stop...
05/11/12 at 18:49:09

Keep in mind I'm a bit of a newby here.  Twice now, going out of my neighborhood onto the main road, my start hasn't been quite so smooth, and I drifted close to the oncoming lane before getting the bike moving and stable.  It's a right turn AND an uphill start from a full stop.

I feel a little...clumsy?...and inaccurate at it.  What's the best way to execute this consistently?  The bike wants to roll back from the stop sign, since the road is a little uphill.  Keeping my right foot on the rear brake feels kinda awkward since I have to lean to the right immediately on the start (or I end up in the oncoming lane  Shocked) .  It's a little awkward fenagling the throttle plus the right brake with my right hand.  It's a small curvy secondary road, and cars often exceed the 45 mph speed limit, so I do want to get moving and up to speed quickly.  Is there a good technique to executing this smoothly and accurately?

Or, is it better to just stop so that the bike is already pointed in the direction that I'm going to pull out and go?   Tongue  What do you guys do?  (I'll bet it's so second-nature now that most of you don't even think about what you actually do...so maybe it's just a matter of more practice on my part.)

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Starting into an uphill turn from a stop...
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 19:08:24

Yer' right... it is second nature...
Practice in a parking lot or someplace secluded... once the wheel has gone a half a rotation,.. I'm usually on it enough to release the brake.
... a little higher rev's and a little more clutch slip,.. n' yer' off to the races...
Just takes practice...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 05/11/12 at 19:16:35

Serowbot wrote on 05/11/12 at 19:08:24:
... it is second nature...Just takes practice....

Figured so.  Wink  I know part of it is mental...I'm focused on getting moving pretty quickly so I don't get squashed like a bug by someone going 60 or so around the curve.  Tongue

Serowbot wrote on 05/11/12 at 19:08:24:
...once the wheel has gone a half a rotation,.. I'm usually on it enough to release the brake.

Front or rear brake, or a little of both?  Which do you normally use to keep yourself from rolling backward on a hill?  (In other words, what's the best habit to form?)

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 05/11/12 at 19:25:26

I think if i'm at a stop getting ready to start uphill and right i'd have both feet down, clutch in, hold it with front brake whilechecking for oncoming traffic, etc

Smooth start on a hill:  don't try  to brake and throttle at the same time. (You might hold the brake a teensy bit with your fingertips as you start to give throttle,)  Let go of the brake as you give it a little throttle and simultaneously let the clutch out a little bit, just until it "grabs", keep adding a little more throttle and a little less clutch till you're rolling, once you're rolling let the clutch out all the way.  (You need to give a little more throttle than you would for a normal start, since you're going up the hill.)  

Meanwhile, (since you're turning right up the hill) you need to get the bike leaning right.  Since you're barely moving yet, you can't lean into the turn as you normally do in a curve.  to lean the bike, you slide your body left (as a counterweight) while pushing your bars to the right (and looking to the right where you want to go).  

Low speed stuff is definitely harder, but take a day and practice a little and you'll be amazed how much more in control (and less of a dork) you feel!

See these 2 good books with a lot of good information: Proficient Motorcycling by david hough, and total Control by ... ??? I can't remember  i'm sure you can google it  Smiley  (I found Proficient Motorcycling the more useful of the 2 books)

Check your local library - mine has both books - you really only need to borrow it every year or so to brush up,  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/11/12 at 19:36:01

I think I thought of a better explanation...
Think of it a s a drag race launch...
Use some front brake to hold the bike, while you raise the rpm's a few hundred and start to release the clutch... when the clutch is out enough to start loading up the engine and rpm's lower, release the brake and clutch as you gas it...
You can practice this on flat, in a parking lot, if you think of it as a drag race launch...  same basic movement,.. just less rpm's than in a race...
...(unless it's more like a cliff than a hill)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 05/11/12 at 19:43:04

OK, cool.  I have to do the same thing out of my cul-de-sac (stop sign, uphill right turn) and I have been practicing there...somehow there it just seems easier though.  I guess I'm not concerned about someone barreling down on me at 60 mph when it's my cul-de-sac.  Tongue

Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/11/12 at 19:50:52

find yourself a hill out of traffic and practice.
don't bother with turn at 1st, just take off straight.
you should be able to take off from a dead stop and go.

WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/11/12 at 20:14:50

Dave,
As a new rider, I am out of bounds giving advice so take this for what it is worth. Until you get the experience you need to make that sharp right hand turn, uphill, into oncoming traffic, you might remember the old saying..."two wrongs don't make a right...but three lefts sure the heck do". No shame in making a left and coming back around at the next intersection to avoid a dangerous situation.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 05/11/12 at 20:47:09

One other option - don't use the brake on the hill. Just keep your RPMs up a little and ride the clutch. After a little practice you can hold yourself still (or rock just a little as you feather the clutch/throttle).

Keep the handlebars right and when you get a clear spot, just take off.

It might be worth while to practice starting from a dead stop on flat ground with your handlebars all the way to one side or the other. You should be able to get going within the width of a parking spot after some practice.

Here's some exercises I used to do (and probably should start doing again): http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/11/12 at 21:55:18

UPhill, Right hand turn, set up near center line, come to the stop turned part way. Left hand, same thing, except be away from center. As time goes by, you wont need the cheater.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 05/11/12 at 22:53:18

You sound like you may be leaning with the bike if you're drifting. Stay upright and lean the bike during low-speed turns, the bike is much more controllable.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 05/11/12 at 23:52:36

verslagen1 wrote on 05/11/12 at 19:50:52:
find yourself a hill out of traffic and practice.
don't bother with turn at 1st, just take off straight.
you should be able to take off from a dead stop and go.

Yup, got that down.  And can execute it all just fine out of my cul-de-sac and another steeper uphill/right turn start from another cul-de-sac.  I think maybe I'm just focusing too much on "oh nuts, let me get going before a car appears out of nowhere".  So...I'll just keep practicing until it's completely 2nd nature (and cheat a little like was suggested in one of the posts).

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/12/12 at 00:02:35

if you got it down then it's not the hill

hey did you hear?  some duche bag in poland terrorized his neighbors by ripping up and down the street at maniac speeds.  so they got a crane and put his car up in a tree.

WWW   IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #13 - 05/12/12 at 00:32:15

I just let the clutch out  wee bit by wee bit until i feel it grab and the rev's drop just a smidge. Then I don't need a brake the gearbox holds the bike steady for a moment or two and I just can drop the clutch at the same time I give it gas and i'm off.  Cheesy I say go out early in the morning and practice with minimal traffic. Around my house the middle of the night is a good time too. Good luck hope this helps!

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/12/12 at 08:10:32

^^^ What he said.
Right hand brake, left hand eases out on the clutch until you feel it bite. Then you just sit pretty until you're good to go.

Motorcycle classes, or at least the one I took, teach you that the clutch is an on/off switch. It can be (ab)used in a few different ways.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:30:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting into an uphill turn from a stop...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.