Please help a newb (Read 419 times)
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Please help a newb
05/11/12 at 06:23:51

thanks up front for the help.

put a new windshield on my 07 S40 and was taking a test spin to see if it was ok.  had read on a post that if you ran a couple of miles on the reserve tank and switched back to main tank it helped keep everything clean if you ever needed the reserve.

when i switched to the "reserve", like an idiot i switched the lever to "prime". about 1/2 mile after that the sputtering and loading up started, i switched it back to main but she went dead. could not get it started again. thankfully it was mostly downhill back to the house. after an hour or so i went back out and finally got it cranked, but it took a while and it ran a little rough.

just went out this morning, cranked, let idle for 30 minutes, rolled the throttle a few times and she seems fine, but i sure don't like the thoughts of being stranded again.

in your opinion, was it just flooded and took a while to clean out? the bike only has 1700 miles.  had a 1000 when i bought it a month ago, and it has ran great every time out, but i have ridden it a lot as it is now my commuter.

any insight or help is appreciated. sorry if this question seems ridiculous.

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Please help a newb
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 06:33:27

There is no reserve "tank" per se. The reserve is just the result of gas being drawn from a lower pickup tube.  As the level of gas is the same before and after you flip it to any position, it is impossible to flood your engine by unnecessarily flipping it to reserve or prime.

Maybe it was on reserve at first, then you flipped it to "on" but the gas level was too low (?)  The bike should run just fine on prime and not flood.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/11/12 at 06:45:03

Trying to get your sequence of events right:
Petcock: ON - drawing gas from further up the tank
Switched to PRIME: now drawing gas from bottom of tank.  
Sputter sputter .. croak
Switched back to ON: no start
waited a while.  got it started but running rough (didn't say how long you let it run)
Next day.  Runs OK.

When you went to PRIME, you were pulling from the bottom of the tank.
If the screen is clogged on the petcock down there, it would sputter and die after draining the bowl (about 1/2 mile)
Flipping it back to ON.  Bowl is still empty, it will take some cranking to get gas in it again.  Maybe you didn't let it run long enough to get enough gas in the bowl.
Next day.  Normal start sequence and it is OK.  You have gas in the bowl from yesterday to start with.
Possible conclusion.  Petcock has a gummy/clogged screen towards the bottom or the passages for Prime are a bit clogged.
Pull the petcock, clean it up.  Carb Cleaner should work.   Shoot carb cleaner into the gas outlet with the valve in all 3 positions.
I don't think Carb Cleaner will hurt anything in there.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #3 - 05/11/12 at 07:01:08

thanks to both of you for the insight.

gonna give it a spin this morning and see if i have the same issues. i will keep you posted.

what would the other options be? fouled plug? (surely not after 1700 miles) but it is an 07 and i did not ask the dealer when i bought it if the plug had been replaced.

i am open to any suggestions.

thanks again.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 05/11/12 at 07:17:01

Youzguyz is correct that a clogged petcock screen (the prime/reserve one at the bottom of the tank) will cause the problem you describe.  Your bike is still fairly new and I wouldn't think your tank is rusty, but it still could be gummed up somehow. Blasting out the petcock is good advice.  If you don't want to get into all that just yet, disconnect the gas line from the petcock, get a small jar under it and turn it to prime.  Gas should flow freely.

If you want to check the whole petcock/vacuum system, look in the tech section for Serowbot's comprehensive test.

The spark plug on an '07 (like the petcock) should still be serviceable.  If it's fouled, that's a secondary problem.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/11/12 at 07:55:21

... as an aside,... it's not a good idea to idle an air-cooled engine for 30 minutes...  It needs air movement to cool...
Try to limit idling to 5 minutes or less... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #6 - 05/11/12 at 08:40:16

thanks again to both of you.

the ride was more of a jog, made it about 300 yards till it started the same thing. clogged carb or screen is my guess.

in my mind, the fact that it had 1000 miles on it in 5 yrs, and i have put 700 miles on it in basically 30 days, it's possible there were some things knocked loose or moved to create the problem.

i will try the methods you guys have suggested.  if not, i have a wrench buddy that is really good that is going to help me put on FC's ( i bought from Routy, they look great) next week anyway.

you guys are a lot of help. thanks for info.

safe ridin

Scott

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #7 - 05/11/12 at 12:46:07

Boule'tard and Serowbot,

went home at lunch, pulled the hose from the petcock, did like you said and turned it to prime. gas flowed freely, no problem. hooked it back up, tried to fire.......would not hit.

moved it to prime and back and it started, but wouldn't stay cranked.  didn't have time to pull it and shoot the carb cleaner to it, but seems that could be the problem.

looks like i am going to have to purchase a Clymers manual after all.

again, i appreciate the help.  this bike has run without issue for over 700 miles. just seems wierd that it suddenly comes unglued.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/11/12 at 12:53:21

So.. just run it on Prime if it will run that way.

Test your petcock:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

If you do run on Prime until you resolve the issue, remember that you do NOT HAVE RESERVE!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #9 - 05/11/12 at 13:42:17

Could be crud in the bowl. I suspect it's not, but the test/solution is simple so it's worth a try. With your petcock ON, drain your bowl and then throw it back on PRIME to fill it. I had that happen about a month after I bought my bike and it had been sitting for a while.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 05/11/12 at 15:42:33

Ohhh boy now I am confused  Roll Eyes  First turning it to prime killed it, then turning to prime got it going again. Petcock war in 3..2..1..

Ok. If it runs on prime but NOT on reserve (and does so consistently) then the screen is clear, but something is up with the vacuum plunger/auto petcock mechanism. I would not expect that to happen on a 2007 bike, but I suppose the plunger could be sticking since your bike has not seen regular use.  Also check the vacuum line to be sure it isn't cracked anywhere.

Hate to mention the 'R' word just yet, and I don't mean Reserve. Let's see where this goes..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/11/12 at 15:46:48

I've seen crap collect inside of the petcock, so that possibly could cause some problems.

WWW   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #12 - 05/12/12 at 07:03:41

Boule'tard.

i so appreciate you and Sero and Verslagen helping me with this.

here is where i am.  after your description of reserve and prime (very helpful) i did test to see if the gas flowed freely on prime. (it does, 4 ounces in a few seconds).

last night i turned the petcock to prime. pulled the choke out to the first notch, fired it, and though it struggled, it did fire and ran, although roughly. i then turned the petcock to "run" and it shortly died.

in my mind, that tells me junk in the petcock blocking the line.....agree? either that or there is pinhole or crack in a vacuum line and therefore it doesn't have the suction to draw the fuel from the petcock while on run......am i getting there?  

after work today i am taking it off and doing the cleaning you folks have suggested.  i am also going to empty out the bowl of the carb just in case. is there anything special about the clean out screw that i should be aware of? (other than don't lose it)

sorry for the elementary questions, maybe the answers can help some other newbs with more pride than myself. i love riding again, and really want to understand this bike going forward. at this point in life i am more intrigued by trying to solve the puzzle than frustrated.  you guys are helping a lot with that.

and by "R" word i hope you don't mean it rhymes with "sings".  :'(

safe ridin.

scott

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #13 - 05/12/12 at 07:05:16

oh yea.....left out youzguyz and greenmonster......oversight on my part.   sorry.  thanks to all.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 05/12/12 at 09:17:17

verslagen1 wrote on 05/11/12 at 15:46:48:
I've seen crap collect inside of the petcock, so that possibly could cause some problems.

Yes, word of wisdom, words you can take to the bank -- crap does collect all around a vac petcock. Crap crawls into it and takes full possession of it, just like sweet little Linda Blair in the Exorcist.  

Crap crawls up into the vac line and makes a nest, causing little tiny cracks in the rubber -- the tiniest invisible crack will cause the suction to drop to zero and the vacsucker simply stops working.

Crap crawls into the diaphragm, causing it to stiffen up (lose function).  Eventually it cracks and leaks gasoline down the vac line into your carb and from there down the cylinder wall into the oil sump.

I think at last count there were 4 distinct failure modes to a vac petcock (or five if you counted putting the various hoses in the wrong place).

Your odds of having repeated vac petcock problems hits 100% over time unless you subscribe to a rigorous schedule of hose replacement, etc.

Well now, unless you like getting stalled in traffic repeatedly over the years there is really only two paths to take.  

1)  Become a vac petcock diagnostic expert and repeatedly replace all sorts of little rubbery bits and pieces ahead of time ....

..... repeatedly, mind you .....

OR

2)  Yank the stock vac sucker off of there and replace it with a Raptor petcock.

Required reading for understanding where you are with the choices you have to eventually make.

Read up, then ask the rest of your questions.

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

We just know you will have lots & lots of them questions.    And if you want to get a leg up on the petcock war that just started (with you as the primary example under question)  read up on the subjects here.

Petcock Issues (poll and summary)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:30:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Please help a newb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.