Please help a newb (Read 419 times)
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Re: Please help a newb
Reply #15 - 05/12/12 at 09:26:21

Oldfeller,

Looks like i got some petcock learnin to do.

awfully small piece of equipment to be causin such major issues, and the learnin has now begun.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #16 - 05/12/12 at 15:18:57

bess227 wrote on 05/12/12 at 07:03:41:
and by "R" word i hope you don't mean it rhymes with "sings".  :'(

Lord no, your rings are just barely broken in! They are not contributing to this problem.  Oldfeller points out the 'R' I was alluding to, the Raptor petcock, and I concur with that post.  A manual petcock eliminates the symptoms that mimic carb problems. The tradeoff of having a simpler, easier-to-diagnose system is having to remember to turn the gas off when you're done riding, then turn it back on as part of your startup routine.

I am still not 100% sure your carb doesn't have a clogged jet or something, since it was still running rough while on prime.  But the fact that turning it to ON killed it (and you DO have a gallon or more gas in the tank, more than the 'reserve' amount) indicates a problem with the vacuum-petcock system.  

I'd replace it with a Raptor petcock and clean the jets for good measure. Whether you want to go that route, or replace the stock petcock/vacuum line and retain the auto petcock function, is your call.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #17 - 05/12/12 at 18:37:16

well boys and girls, as they say, "it takes a village".  i am riding again.

thanks to all that offered advice.

Boule'tard, i thought surely to the good lord it couldn't be rings this early, but i am so new to this scooter i am listening to anything.

I partook of the buffet of advice I was offered, so it may not be simple to know what exactly the problem was. here is what i did.

first.....drained the bowl...what i collected had some very miniscule "trash" in it, but it was definitely not super clean.  after replacing the clean out screw, i swithched it to prime, filled the bowl, and drained it again.  this time not nearly what i got the first time.

moved then to the vacuum hose. on the end coming into the carb, was a very tiny place at the bend, i don't think it was all  the way thru, but i trimmed it off and replaced it.

then to the petcock, drained the tank, removed the petcock, shot it full of carb cleaner on all three settings.  when i took the petcock off at first, if i turned the valve to all the settings i couldn't hear anything, after shooting it with the cleaner, i could hear the diaphram moving when switching from "run" to "prime".

put it all back on, opened it to prime to fill the bowl, then switched it to "run".  

pulled the choke to the first notch, fired the bike, took it just a second to catch, but then fired right up. idled about 2 minutes and i took it thru the neighborhood, 20 minutes of riding and the last ten pushing it pretty hard she sounds like her old self.

thanks again to this group of geniuses for helping out a complete stranger and newb to this bike and motor.  i know much more about this animal than i did a week ago due to your advice and the pics and instructions on some of your posts on the tech page.

if you guys are ever in NC riding the parkway and get in a bind, let me know, i will be on the way with tools to watch someone that knows what their doing work.  Wink

safe ridin.

scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 05/13/12 at 06:24:24

A bunch of us will be riding the mountain roads around the Asheville area the last week of June (Monday the 26th to Monday the 2nd); using the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort as our base camp and running hither and yon from there.
We were up to and through the Boone area a couple of years back.
Not everyone stays the whole week; many come in and out as able depending on their schedule.

It's THUMPER WEEK in the mountains ... come on down !

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 05/13/12 at 07:24:12

Bess227,
Does your bike have a fuel filter tween tank and carb ?
If not I suggest you install one. You already know there is more than good clean gas in your tank. Any inline filter is better than the petcock screen.
W/o an inline fuel filter you are asking for carb problems.

And secondly, don't let the famous " Vacuum Petcock Paranoia" get to you ! Just make sure the vacuum line is in good shape. Mine is 7 yrs old, and never a problem.
I removed the bowl from my carb, for no reason other than to see the horrible junk that E10 leaves in carbs, and (after 7 yrs) found no sign of such a thing,....it was spotless except for some fine grit on the bottom, which prompted me to install a fuel filter.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #20 - 05/14/12 at 07:34:56

Lancer........thanks for the invite.......sounds like fun. I will look it up.

Routy, thanks again for the advice on the fuel filter, definitely consider that........ and the GREAT service on the FC's. Hopefully getting them mounted up this week.  We are under flash flood warnings here and I need to ride the bike to my buddy's place to do the work.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

safe ridin.

Scott

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #21 - 05/16/12 at 07:27:50

to all you folks that helped me get going again.

the cleanouts and other stuff really worked. this thing is running better than it has since i bought it.

rode it in to work this morning, i know the windshield changes the feel of the wind, but i was running almost 70 and didn't realize it. motor sounded smooth, not out of breath at all.

anyway.....thanks a lot.  Wink

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #22 - 05/17/12 at 18:58:56

I know this is old hat, but if I understand the petcock correctly...   prime does NOT pull from the bottom of the tank, reserve does.   If prime pulled from the bottom, you would have no reserve.

BTW, an old pilot here.   We always test our tanks for water before taking off.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 05/17/12 at 19:19:13

Noop... Prime does pull from the bottom... so's you can use it to drain the tank if you need to...
So, if you run on prime... you got no reserve... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 05/17/12 at 23:12:02

Serowbot wrote on 05/17/12 at 19:19:13:
Noop... Prime does pull from the bottom... so's you can use it to drain the tank if you need to...
So, if you run on prime... you got no reserve... Wink...

Right, Serowbot.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 05/18/12 at 07:48:20

Prime & reserve pull from the same tube in the tank, prime bypasses the diaphragm, when you are outta gas on reserve, youre outta gas on prime, too,, so, get to walkin,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #26 - 05/18/12 at 09:06:56

Yep, I understand the vacuum part which only allows fuel flow when the engine is running and producing suction.  But if Pri drains the tank, then it sounds like my thinking of the terminology is reversed?   Typically on bikes I've had in the past, you had main, reserve, and off.   You normally ran on main until you ran out of fuel, then switched to reserve, which had a lower inlet level in the tank allowing access to the remaining fuel.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #27 - 05/18/12 at 09:26:48

360k+ wrote on 05/18/12 at 09:06:56:
Yep, I understand the vacuum part which only allows fuel flow when the engine is running and producing suction.  But if Pri drains the tank, then it sounds like my thinking of the terminology is reversed?   Typically on bikes I've had in the past, you had main, reserve, and off.   You normally ran on main until you ran out of fuel, then switched to reserve, which had a lower inlet level in the tank allowing access to the remaining fuel.

And if you upgrade to the Raptor 660 petcock, that's what you will have again, plus easier to remove the tank.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 05/18/12 at 10:28:58

360k+ wrote on 05/18/12 at 09:06:56:

main and reserve are vacuum activated.
prime allows flow w/o vacuum.
prime runs from the same tap as reserve.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #29 - 05/18/12 at 18:59:33

OK, I get it now.   Actually, the shop manual kinda sorta describes it, but the owners manual provides a good explanation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:16:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Please help a newb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.