Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Easy battery access cable (Read 128 times)
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Easy battery access cable
05/10/12 at 17:57:12

So I am at the very end of my Ryca CS-1 build. Going through the process of starting the bike up for the first time in months, taught me one thing about compact lithium batteries (Ballistic Evo2 4cell).  They have very small power reserve!  It was not really a surprise to me, I knew what I was getting into from the start.

I ended up draining the battery a few times in attempt to fire up the bike, and I also learned to hate removing my seat to access the battery terminals to charge it.  My solution is below, best part is that it cost me $0, just a few random parts around the house.

Bike side.  Connected to positive terminal and tucked away inside battery box. The end provides good protection against any unwanted metal touching it.

Charger side.  Clean solid connection can be made to the little dongle on the bike side.  I left the standard 3 prong AC end because my charger can clip nicely to it.

Connected.

I haven't actually tested it with the charger, but I have tested with multimeter and there is good conductivity between both ends.

Parts used:
- A common desktop PC power cable. (This has 3 prong AC wall outlet on one end and female side of the coupler on the other end.)
- Male side of the coupler. (A little less common to have laying around, but can be harvested from a dead power supply)
- Ring connector
- Shrink tubing
- Electrical tape

Let me know what you think Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Easy battery access cable
Reply #1 - 05/10/12 at 18:15:36

I would say (just cause of the ding dongs around my house) use the ground connector only and cut off the other two.  you don't want someone to plug that into the wall while it's hooked up to your bike.

otherwise... good idea.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/10/12 at 18:41:04

good point Verslagen.  I was actually joking around with my brother saying how dangerous of a weapon this could be if one end is plugged into the wall with bare leads on the opposite end. Shocked

Even though I will never need it, I used all three conductors in the cable so I have the option of using higher amperage if I ever need to...which I won't...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/10/12 at 22:01:54

in the 60s my dad was a varmit hunter,he had a 12 volt hand held mega brite spot light..
he screwed a handy box with a 2 prong 110 volt receptacle under the glove box of his chevy apache 10 (remember when interiors were steel)
wired to the trucks' battery
he extended the cord on the spot light and put a 2 prong 110 volt plug on the end of it..
one day his prubecent son (me) found the spot light sittin on the work bench in the garage..cool says me so i plug er in.. to the work bench...
got REALLY bright for a second....... Shocked

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/10/12 at 22:12:36

i mounted a 12v cig lighter type power port to my swing arm with 10 amp fuse to the battery..made an adapter outta a male end with 2 O ring crim ons one for each red and black..can get a jump from jumper cables or the gator clips from my charger and i have a power outlet to juice up the mp3..
the weather proof cap that came with the outlet didnt last so am using a rubber cork to keep it dry in there dressed up the top of the cork with a bottle cap...
$25.00 donated in your name to this site to the first to guess which cap it is..  

« Last Edit: 05/10/12 at 23:26:15 by thumperclone »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/10/12 at 22:29:38

hmmm... what could it be?

thumperclone wrote on 03/28/12 at 22:03:59:
"old thumper"

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/10/12 at 23:27:49

good guess got the T shirts never had their brews.
is a beer cap tho..
note uped the $$

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #7 - 05/25/12 at 18:46:10

Haha! It's got to be that darn leaky oil cap! XD

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:34:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Easy battery access cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.