Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca tach buy, mount and accuracy (Read 444 times)
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Ryca tach buy, mount and accuracy
05/09/12 at 20:02:35

Went over to Ryca's place and got one of his tachs.  Made a similar shape mount for the tach as the ignition switch.
Scared me when I connected it and it went all the way over to the right. Disconnected it quickly. Thought I'd fried it.  Rechecked wires and they were correct so tried again.  Did same thing but I didn't disconnect as quickly so I had time to notice that it was one of those newfangled types that resets or calibrates itself like that every time you turn it on.  First like that I've ever had.  Seems to work well though there's a slight maybe 100 rpm fluctuation at idle.  Normal for this?  To check accuracy, it registers 3800 at 60mph indicated, 4100 at 65, 4400 at 70 and 4800 at 75.  Anyone got those or similar numbers?  Seems like 300-400 rpm rise every 5mph in top gear.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Ryca tach buy, mount and accuracy
Reply #1 - 05/10/12 at 04:23:15

I borrowed these numbers from the Chain Conversion thread and calculated the 65 and 75 mph numbers using their data.  The calculated numbers seem to be within a few hundred rpm's of your readings.

Stock Calculated                  Your Readings

50mph@3111
60mph@3733                       60mph@3800
65mph@4044                       65mph@4100
70mph@4355                       70mph@4400
75mph@4666                       75mph@4800
80mph@4977
90mph@5600
100mph@6222
105mph@6500

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 05/10/12 at 04:54:09

Nice.  What wires connect where?

Dave

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/12 at 09:39:35

Thanks for the rpm to speed numbers Dave, it appears the Ryca tach is pretty accurate.
Other Dave, first I left the ignition plug connected at the seat.  Cut the wires between the switch and the plug.  Used posiloks and extended the wires to the new switch location. (Will change out posiloks to a plug in the future). Used 4 more posiloks at the other end of the extension wires as a temporary connection till I got the tach, then got a 4 wire female and male plug from electronics store. Put the female plug coming from old location and the male off the switch.  The tach has a green, red, blue and black wire.  Hooked the black to the threaded hole on the neck where reflector used to be using an eye holed connector.  Unplugged the negative connector on the coil and bent the green tach wire in half and stripped 1/2 inch of wire.  Put a male connector on it and plugged it in to the wire I took off the coil.  Put a female on the other end and plugged it in to the coil.  Then tucked them in beside the coil.  Took the red tach wire and the red/white wire from the switch and twisted them together.  Crimped them into the new plug connector.  Did the same with the blue wire but twisted it with the gray wire from the switch.  Any problems interpreting the diagram let me know.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/10/12 at 19:18:48

Pine,
The instructions told me what to hookup to what.  If you want any help with this pm me.  It's really easier that it looks.  Once you know what to hook up to what it's a breeze.  There are probably better or easier ways since I'm no electrician but this is working for me and it can work for you.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Cookie1247
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/11/12 at 06:42:13

I just installed a similar tach on my 2006 LS650.  The tach goes through an internal "check" when powered up where it goes full-scale, then back to zero, then it reads engine speed.  Mine reads about 3900 rpm at 60 mph in 5th gear.

The red and blue wires from the tach power the instrument itself and the backlight.  Since these are both "on" when the ignition power is on, I just connected them both to the same line from the power switch.  Works well.  

I am used to manual shift cars so this tach is particularly helpful to a newbie like me to know when to downshift.  In addition, this engine has been ported by the previous owner and will easily wind out over 6500 rpm.

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/11/12 at 10:40:12

Cookie,
You're right about the red and blue wires.  You can connect them together.  I wanted to connect them to the plug without butt connectors though and I couldn't twist 3 wires together and get them in the bullet connectors, too fat.
Glad to see you and Dave have confirmed pretty close readings on rpm/mph.  
Since riding it for a couple of days with the tach I think my bike is suited to about 1300rpm at idle.  No hesitation or stumbles and  definitely fast enough to keep the top end lubricated sufficiently.  
On the KLR forum a number of engine gurus have commented on heavy oil usage with sustained 5000>rpm for single thumpers.  Glad to see that at 4800 rpm I'm going pretty much as fast as I want to go on this one lunger.  Vibration picking up heavily above this rpm and speed.  Going to get my gps on soon and recheck how accurate the indicated speeds are.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:00:57

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Ryca tach buy, mount and accuracy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.