Send Topic Print
Lock forks (Read 107 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Lock forks
05/09/12 at 11:45:40

Does anyone actually lock their forks when they park for the night? How about when going into a store/restaurant?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Lock forks
Reply #1 - 05/09/12 at 12:01:47

Most people don't bother.  I do.  All the time.

It won't STOP anyone from stealing it, but it is a deterrent.
I would rather find my motorcycle tossed on it's side from someone's frustration than missing completely.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #2 - 05/09/12 at 12:19:26

I do all the time too.  I don't do it for a deterrent from theft, as it's not, but a deterrent from punk ass kids thinking they're cool and sitting on it and moving it around.  I've seen it done many times: kids walk by, one jumps on the motorcycle other kids take pictures, kids run away laughing... who knows what may happen, especially if they don't know wtf they're playing with.

Just my $0.02.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 05/09/12 at 12:20:36

savage/s40 is one of the least stolen bike out there. I've left my keys hanging in the ignition outside wal mart more than once and the bike is always there when I come out. I wouldn't leave the keys on purpose but it's nice to know that no one wants my bike.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/09/12 at 12:39:42

youzguyz wrote on 05/09/12 at 12:01:47:
I would rather find my motorcycle tossed on it's side from someone's frustration than missing completely.

I've been there with my Vino 125; it's nice that the bike was still there to be found, but you still get that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. Sad Then you're left taking the steering column apart and fixing the damage... jacka$$ bent the 1/2" diameter steel locking pin in his attempt. He must have been really reefing on it.  Angry

If the bike is going to be outside and unattended for longer than ten minutes, I lock it. Not only is it a deterrent to theft and monkeying around, I have the vague notion that it's harder to tip the bike over accidentally -- but I'm at a loss to explain why.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 05/09/12 at 12:59:59

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 05/09/12 at 12:20:36:
but it's nice to know that no one wants my bike.

AL, in a strange way, I feel exactly the same.  I like riding something different, being a little different.  You can ride whatever you want and that is OK.  No one is going to talk me out of my savage.  Cheesy

They might steal it, I never lock the forks.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/09/12 at 14:31:04

Beyond, snotnosed teenage, joy riders... thieves don't want our bike.
They profit from parting out bikes... so, sport bikes with lots of breakable plastic, and Harley's with lots of chrome doodaa's are what they look for...
Progressive had our bike as the least stolen bike in America in a study they did a couple of years ago...

We have a fork lock?.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/09/12 at 16:08:44

Serowbot wrote on 05/09/12 at 14:31:04:
Beyond, snotnosed teenage, joy riders... thieves don't want our bike.
They profit from parting out bikes... so, sport bikes with lots of breakable plastic, and Harley's with lots of chrome doodaa's are what they look for...
Progressive had our bike as the least stolen bike in America in a study they did a couple of years ago...

We have a fork lock?.... Huh...

All these kits like RYCA & Blue Collar bobber & others could change all that. Look how many new people it's brought to this site. Our little bike kinda flew under the radar for years, but now it's getting the spotlight shown on it. Could lose that least stolen status if the demand increases. Sad

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/09/12 at 16:17:29

Id say it depends on where ya live & how is the economy. One day, anything with gas in it may be a target.
If people are in desperate shape, their behavior changes, the more people you see pushing grocery carts with all their worldly belongings in them,the more ya need to take precautions. There are people out there who are trying to NOT be one of those pushing a cart..& living under a bridge.
IOW, how you safeguard it today may not work next year

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 05/09/12 at 16:17:41

The only time I every locked forks was on overnight trips at a motel.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 05/09/12 at 16:25:51

This has been interesting. I used to lock my previous bike's forks. I don't lock this one. Mostly because it's a PITA. Plus, I don't have a spare fork key and my local Suzi shop doesn't either.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/09/12 at 17:04:52

I locked my forks once. And spent over an hour getting the stupid thing unlocked. Salt air and cheap locks don't mix (lived on the Gulf Coast, in a town that Katrina ate). Next time I find one of my angle grinders and a decent cut off wheel... Every ounce cut off counts, 10 pounds of weight lost is equivalent to 1 horsepower gained...

Of course, the welding wire to fix the hole will probably weigh more than the lock.  Grin

As far as stealing a Savage, I literally GAVE mine away twice. It came back.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:31:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lock forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.