Send Topic Print
highway pegs (Read 303 times)
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highway pegs
05/09/12 at 09:39:33

decided to fabricate some "highway pegs" to have an optional foot rest for those long cruises, iam using 5/8 x5/8 solid stock, will attach to the single downtube with a heavy clamp at the top and a 3/8 bolt  with a back up plate behind the split at the lower downtube, the foot rest area actually ends up about  9" forward of the stock peg and 9" above, when its all fabricated I will seek out a chrome shop and send it in with hardware for chrome plate, I will post new pics when its all completed Smiley

hwy1.jpg
  IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: highway pegs
Reply #1 - 05/09/12 at 09:41:22

another view

hwy2.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/09/12 at 09:49:59

JMHO...  ... as it is,.. it could impale you nicely if you go down... is it possible to loop the iron at the ends or something?.... or have it loop completely back down to attach to the frame again at the bottom?...

... and I agree with the heavy clamp at the top,.. the hose clamp is just for mock-up, right?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/09/12 at 10:03:34

He's a gonna dig those over long things hard in on a sharp mountain turn and hurty hisself when he lifts the wheels off the road.

Thinner wall tube stock I could understand, but solid stock that large is quite heavy and because it is soooo durn strong it actually poses a bit of a danger when the eventual road accident comes along.

I think normal "crash bars" are intended to hold the bike up in minor incidents, but are designed to bend in a major crash and absorb some of the deadly energy doing so.

Yours will dig in hard, stay strong and flip the bike up into the air and make a spinning ninja death star out of it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/09/12 at 12:08:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/09/12 at 10:03:34:

He's a gonna dig those over long things hard in on a sharp mountain turn and hurty hisself when he lifts the wheels off the road.

Thinner wall tube stock I could understand, but solid stock that large is quite heavy and because it is soooo durn strong it actually poses a bit of a danger when the eventual road accident comes along.

I think normal "crash bars" are intended to hold the bike up in minor incidents, but are designed to bend in a major crash and absorb some of the deadly energy doing so.

Yours will dig in hard, stay strong and flip the bike up into the air and make a spinning ninja death star out of it.

I had some home made highway pegs on a 83 Yamaha Maxim that were made out of 1/4" flat steel and they did just that when I went down one time. They dug into the soft shoulder and flipped the big over to the opposite side throwing me in the process. Solid highway pegs that don't fold up is a bad idea, I speak from experience.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/09/12 at 18:10:48

well boys ... being a welder/fabricator and a avid motorcyclist for over forty years, for starters, these bars, witch is hard to see from the photos barely protrude any further out than the stock forward controls, also , they are designed to give and bend if the need be. but to be honest, having production road raced, my last concern at falling down at a speed that would actually have enough enertia to "flip" the bike, would be the bike flipping and getting damaged Grin  falling down on its side, with the weight of the bike would simply bend the bars upward, and a hit from the front would bend them back, as far as the ends go , i plan on welding (6) 5/8 x 1 1/2 flat washers 5/8 apart for pegs (chromed) with a larger one at each end to keep a boot from sliding off, in any event ill supply photos when its all complete, and a pic of the drag shoot off the sissybar to slow the spinning... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/12/12 at 11:38:19

welp... got them  roughed out and mounted for the test ride, very comfortable i must say, and they dont look half bad either, actually got some local opinions, I think iam going to have them powdercoated in gloss black, theres enough chrome on this bike anyways and the black should tie into the frame nicely Smiley

pg1.jpg
  IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/14/12 at 12:35:38

finally finished, time to rideeeeeee!

hwy11.jpg
  IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/14/12 at 12:36:25

another view

hwy22.jpg
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #9 - 05/14/12 at 23:51:00

Assuming they do indeed give in the event of scraping or accident, I like em'! The black makes for a nice finish.

I'm very mindful of what others have said here in regards to what scrapes the pavement when I ride my own or (particularly if I choose to ride a friend's) sled.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/15/12 at 08:38:56

Looks good to me!  First pic did give a perspective of them being pretty far out there, but this latest pic looks much better.  I think it was just the angle (or did you cut them off a little?)  

How comfortable are they?  I don't mean riding position, I mean your actual foot on the washers?  I guess it depends on your boots, but I also like to lay my ankle on my pegs (kinda the back of my heel, I guess), and I think the washers might be uncomfortable.  

But I still think you did a great job!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/15/12 at 08:51:15

ty babyhog, ya I wouldnt recommend moccasins...lol and there will definetly be no resting the hamstring on them as well,  but other than that the positioning is really comfortable!

IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/15/12 at 08:57:04

@ wake51... as far as "scraping them, at the point were you would scrape these on the pavement you would be so far past your limit of adhesion "tirewise " plus your shoulder would be scraping the ground as well, also you would be into the stock controls long before these were even close to the ground, but yes, i think the black was a nice touch, was thinking of chrome but theres so much chrome already, and the cost of chroming... yikes Smiley thanks for the input, and remember..... never ride faster than your angels can fly Wink

IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #13 - 05/17/12 at 19:55:52

i like the idea. i was thinking about doing something like this, but i want to get my forward controls on first to see where and how i'd mount them.

where did you get that clamp?

and if you do happen to slid/wreck/fall and those pegs do catch, they'll just bend. that solid stock will bend much easier than tubing will, thin wall or not.

IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/18/12 at 07:02:32

well after alot of searching i found that clamp at "riders choice" an aftermarket motorcycle acessory shop in lancaster, ca was just a generic exhaust  clamp that worked out close to the downtube size on my S40, its cool because if you look closely you'll see theres alan head screws that actually let you break the clam down for ass'y, take one side off and mount then re-attach the side, those pegs are no wider than the stockers or the bars, ive put some miles on now using them and there really comfortable and worked out just right, I think iam going to attack a homeade sissy bar and bad out of 1/2 x 1/2 solid stock, maybe about 18" high tradition pointed end , ill post some pics of that as well, everything i fabricate will bolt on as to not effect the stock value of the bike, and perhaps ill find someone who would purchase a similar unit from me to bolt on there bike.... Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:11:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › highway pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.