Send Topic Print
Splain this to me! (Read 324 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Splain this to me!
Reply #15 - 05/09/12 at 18:31:12

Dave has a very good question and when people first sat down and designed carburetors they probably hoped the things would work as Dave has suggested and to some extent they do.  Dave is suggesting that a linear relationship exists between fuel flow and air flow, if one doubles, the other doubles etc.  But as Boule'tard has stated it doesn't quite work that way.

Air constantly changes in density as it flows which is why modern cars have detectors to measure air mass flow so the computer can determine how much fuel to inject.  Air is a compressible fluid and fuel being a liquid is not compressible, they behave differently.  If you double the flow through the venturi you will draw in more fuel through the jet but not necessarily at the same increase in rate.  The two do not follow a straight line if you were to graph air flow vs. fuel flow.  Also in combustion it is the mass of the fuel and mass of the air that count whereas in a carburetor it is velocity and pressure that do the metering and so the carburetor only indirectly meters out the correct mass of fuel for a given mass of air.

Having said all that, Dave is essentially correct and even simple carburetors do a reasonable job, look at the carb on an old "hit and miss" engine.  At one time whatever made an engine run was considered good enough.  Then people started asking the carb to be efficient under all conditions and it has become more complex trying to do it.  That's why the good old carb is almost obsolete and is being replaced by fuel injection.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 05/09/12 at 18:37:06

... and I actually got that... !... Smiley...

Now I can sleep in peace tonight,... thanks... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/09/12 at 22:18:39

Boule’tard wrote on 05/09/12 at 13:27:54:
That's a very good question, which can be simplified by forgetting the stuff about the valves and the needle/needle jet/slide etc.

I am super rusty on fluid dynamics and have no time to research it.  I bet Oldfeller can 'splain it. Nudge nudge.

Roll Eyes

OK, here's my take on the whole mod it to make more power thing.  

We tell them to rejet.  

We tell them to put on free flowing muffler.  

We tell them to put on a free flowing air filter.

You guys are getting tied up in your knickers over the order of things like A causes the need for B or C.    False assumption there, you can do them in any order but you will likely wind up doing all of them as they complement each other's improvement effects.

Jetting generally gets tossed to the end of the bus since you fine tune the jetting AFTER you finish muffler and filter mods (or you get to do it two or 3 times as some of us have done)

I wish carbs were that good as to be totally self adjusting -- they aren't.    Sorry.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/10/12 at 05:30:13

GOOD thread, thanks to all.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 05/10/12 at 06:02:08

Good thread indeed,....I think Engineer said it best'

A carb is designed to work exactly like Dave said, but like was said, a carb is not perfect.....like EFI is much closer to being.

This is the main reason I always advise not to rejet, untill there is an obvious reason to do so, and then to do it one step at a time.
W/ some here, there is a bad mind set that x mod = x jet. Its just not that cut and dried. Many times no rejetting is required after a muffler mod,.....and that just mite be because the carb really did do what its designed to do.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #20 - 05/20/12 at 15:41:58

At the risk of kicking this old hoss again, after reading this thread
yesterday something occurred to me...   I have a friend who used to build high perf jet boats.  One day I was asking him about the motors he used (usually big Olds 455s, Chevy 454s, etc.).   I remember he told me that increasing the HP beyond a certain limit was fruitless because you could only force so much water thru the pump.   He explained that was why the big top fuel drag boats are always prop driven.   That made me wonder about Dave's premise here and the difference between gaseous (air) and fluid (fuel) dynamics.   What I mean is, the ratio of air and fuel wouldn't be constant because air can be compacted many times under force whereas fuel can't, and their two volumetric rates would be different.   I dunno, just thinkin...

« Last Edit: 05/20/12 at 19:56:48 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:24:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Splain this to me!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.