Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Not MC related - local news-wondering your opinion (Read 242 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Not MC related - local news-wondering your opi
Reply #15 - 05/08/12 at 11:25:18

PerrydaSavage wrote on 05/08/12 at 10:57:59:
I don't know the details of the case initiating this Topic, but I do feel that generally, in our Western Society, kids are under disciplined these days. Back when I was a kid, it was not uncommon for mis-behaving children to get a whack across the arse ... most times deservedly so too ... as a result, there wasn't as much mis-behaving back then as there is now-a-days. Kids today are coddled from the responsibilities of their actions and are spoiled rotten ... now don't get me wrong ... I'm not advocating child abuse, but a bit of good old fashioned discipline never really hurt anyone and probably did a fair bit of good in the long run ...

I took a developmental psych coarse in university with a German prof. The question was asked "Does corporal punishment administered by responsible parents have a negative effect on the child?" In his Luwig von Drake accent he replied "There is no evidence off negative effect on ze child. It does, however, make ze parent feel a hellova lot better!" Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #16 - 05/08/12 at 11:32:03

Another of my favorite dislikes - every profession and occupation today talks about how stressful their job is.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #17 - 05/08/12 at 11:41:29

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/08/12 at 11:32:03:
Another of my favorite dislikes - every profession and occupation today talks about how stressful their job is.

Stress is an important factor to personal health. And jobs and professions are more stressful now than ever before. Having said that, if you are one of the fortunate people who can physically or mentally punch out at the end of your work day and not take any baggage home with you (and I think I have met four or five in my life who could do that), you are way ahead of the game.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #18 - 05/08/12 at 11:51:38

I am fortunate, I guess, as I like a reasonable amount of "stress".  I call it the competitive edge.

I liken real stress a lot to fear - fear can be a great motivator, like in business when things aren't going well and you have to come up with plan X; or it can be debilitating, like the syndrome of the deer in the headlights.  Which it is for any given person is a product of how you're trained to handle it.

I tried to teach my daughter this as she was growing up.  I recall once when she was in the 6th grade, and the teacher asked her why she was so alert all of the time and sometimes even appeasred to be tense, when she really wasn't tense; just very alert.  Her reply was, "Mrs. Jones, life is like a dogfight and there's a Mig right behind you trying to get a lock to put a missile right up your six".

This training led to a kid who was earning about $30K a year in her own business by the time she was in the 10th grade.  She now owns two companies, is happily married, and is an elected official in our town.  Stress, properly viewed, can be a very motivating thing.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 05/08/12 at 12:05:28

arteacher, my step-son had a few behaviorial outbursts when he was in about 4th grade (shortly after my husband and the boy's mother split).  She wouldn't discipline him because "daddy left, he's just emotional".  This resulted in him becoming IEP BD.  Saddest part is once those children are removed from regular classrooms, the behavior modification becomes primary, elemental education becomes secondary.  My step-son quickly outgrew the emotional issues, but it took quite a while for us to get him back into the regular classroom (because they wanted to keep him to keep their quota of children).  8th grade he was finally partially integrating into regular classes (his father and I basically forced the school into it).  But by then, his basic skills were so lacking, it resulted in IEP LD.  Pushed on to high school, IEP still following him, he was so far behind education-wise, he basically gave up.  He is now at the end of his senior year and has spent the majority of it in night classes, since they kicked him out of his regular school for non-attendance.  They say if he makes up the credits he can still "graduate", but I doubt very seriously that it will happen.      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 05/08/12 at 12:24:03

Babyhog- I have seen this happen many times. He should never have been identified as IEP LD, as I assume he has no learning disabilities. If he has no LDs, or even if he does, even though the system has let him down, the final responsibility for his education is his. If he doesn't accept that responsibility, there is nothing the educational system, or you, can do.
I have seen quite a few kids who have fallen through the cracks finally get their sh!t together and go back to school and start a career. Hope for the best.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 05/08/12 at 12:45:14

He is a little slow comprehending, but still very intelligent.  I personally believe it is the result of the years of BD separation.  I think he was in 5th grade when his father and I met.  Neither his father nor mother had any idea what to do, and his mother cared zilch!  He lived with us 99.9% from about 7th grade to end of 10th grade and got back headed in the right direction, then went to stay with his mother (after daddy-son fallout) and resumed the downhill slide.  Hubby has now hired him for the summer, so let's hope he is headed back uphill and continues.  But you are so right about the responsibility.  He has to accept it.  That is what we have been preaching to him for several years and it has taken him the last couple to see some light.  I'm still hopeful.      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/08/12 at 15:38:22

I wonder where the bomb disposal techs come in on the stress meter?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/08/12 at 16:21:04

I guess they don't consider being in the armed forces a job.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 05/08/12 at 20:18:15

Last month a 11 year old (approximately) who was riding in a van with us (3 troubled students, a driver and I functioning as monitor) yeah I know- sorrry fire lizard,  not stealiing your title.  This 11 year likes to rap obscene lyrics...well this particular ride he was good the whole 35 minute ride to his house..then, he wouldn't get out of the van.  AFTER talking with hi father , his psychologist, his father again, the police dispatcher (all on my cell phone) (now we have been at it for 20 minutes, the police arrive and talk him out of the van (he had been boasting how juvie was gonna be great..chickened out when the uniforms arrived.)  My thought, what goes on in that house that the child would rather sit in the van rather than go into the hose with "auntie"??????  20 years I worked for the Departmentof Mental Retardation in Mass, now a couple years as sub school bus and van driver..I'm guessing they got most of the children off the bus except for the small group in the back and the student and adult? sitting accross the aisle....and the principal comes aboard to get the recalcatrint (sp) student off the bus...gives him an order and then physically removes the child wneh he refuses..not lawsuit material given he probably pinned the squirming child on the sidewalk so he wouldn.t try to get back on the bus or bolt..and possibly get hit be another vehicle.   Still, perhaps just going on with the route and returning at the end with the one child on board and trying it again might have been a smoother move. Wink

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #25 - 05/08/12 at 20:21:34

Of course, if this happens most every day, they need a better  plan. Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 05/08/12 at 22:02:40

I dont remember issues like this needing to be resolved when I was a kid. I dont remember all these Special Needs kids,.
I dont remember more than 1 fat kid in a class of 30.
I dont remember ANY autistic kids.

Is my name Ronald Reagan or have things changed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #27 - 05/09/12 at 03:47:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/08/12 at 22:02:40:
I dont remember issues like this needing to be resolved when I was a kid. I dont remember all these Special Needs kids,.
I dont remember more than 1 fat kid in a class of 30.
I dont remember ANY autistic kids.

Is my name Ronald Reagan or have things changed?

They used to keep them pretty much hidden from society.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 05/09/12 at 08:59:14

& I think society used to make such behavior uncomfortable for the person acting out.,Kids shunned kids who acted weird.,now theres all this
"Touchy Feely" stuff, Non Judging, everybody is okay,,right? Isnt that the atmosphere at the indoctrination centers?

You know IM not talking about kids who are medically Broken, right?

The numbers are exploding, kids are damaged, & vaccines are one of the core problems, food is next.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 05/09/12 at 14:28:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/09/12 at 08:59:14:
food is next.

Too late. Already full of steroids and artificial flavoring chemicals. Same with the fluoride in the water.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:20:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Not MC related - local news-wondering your opinion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.