Send Topic Print
Decompression Solenoid (Read 139 times)
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decompression Solenoid
05/07/12 at 18:54:57

I am trying to convert a savage into the cs-1 cafe racer.This is my first tinkering with motorcycles and do not know what the decompression solenoid does. And what will replacing it with a foot actuated decompression lever do?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Decompression Solenoid
Reply #1 - 05/07/12 at 21:43:26

YOu got a manual? Youll be needing a manual.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/08/12 at 05:51:18

When the engine shuts down and coasts to a stop - it most often comes to an abrupt stop when it is slowing down and the piston comes to a compression cycle.  The piston going up starts to compress the air, and the engine does not have enough momentum to get past the compression stroke and the rotation ceases.

The next time you go to start your bike - the piston is at the bottom of the compression stroke.......and the starter would have a very tough job of both getting the engine mass rotating AND powering the engine through a compression stoke with no inertia to help.  The compression release allows the engine to go through the first compression stroke with little or no resistance until the starter motor has gained some speed and inertia.  Without the compression release I am reasonably sure the load on the starter would be too much......Suzuki and other builders generally don't put this stuff on unless it is needed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/09/12 at 11:14:15

He said it well above.

Basically a single cylinder about the size of a 350 chevy motor creates a lot of resistance for the starter to get it up to a nice fast starting speed.

The decompressor allows some blow by so that the motor can get up to speed for easier starting.

Many dirtbikes have single cylinders and use different decompression setups. Some have linkage to the kick starter that causes it to open when kicking.

Others have a lever on the bars such as the bigger Honda XR series. That is what I plan on using on my build. The foot actuated thing is a bit of an eyesore and clunky.

Here is a pic of one...
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/marklyons/2685171e.jpg

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/controls/levers/RFX_CRF_Clutch_Le...

IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/09/12 at 17:30:21

I actually like the look of the foot lever.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:31:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompression Solenoid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.