Send Topic Print
LS650 engine weight (Read 129 times)
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LS650 engine weight
05/07/12 at 16:28:00

How much does the engine weigh on this bike?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LS650 engine weight
Reply #1 - 05/07/12 at 16:33:39

around 100#

WWW   IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/07/12 at 16:40:40

Now does that include everything? Because I am trying to get an engine shipped from NH and they want to charge me $250 just in shipping.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/07/12 at 17:39:38

I'd guess 110lbs,.. but then you got to add the crate they pack it in...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/07/12 at 17:43:22

250 is pretty darn expensive. 150 is my last a few months ago.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/07/12 at 21:44:28

From NH to where? Hawaii?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/07/12 at 22:19:09

From NH to South Texas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/07/12 at 22:36:48

Have you done a zip code freight calculation? Eneter the weight & from what Zip to what Zip & the calculator will pop up a price. UPS website, fedex, maybe even a trucking/freight line.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/07/12 at 22:41:02

I did that after my father-in-law told me that price was jacked, and I was getting prices for about 100-140ish, so way cheaper then what they quoted.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/08/12 at 00:18:18

IDK how Id handle that,, if theyd try to shaft you on the freight, can you trust them to send an engine thats not crap? Maybe you should ask them just what is it theyre selling for that Freight charge. & dont suggest the answer, Id start with something like "Gee, really? 110 pounds X miles costs that much? Who are you shipping with? "

& see if they come back with WE have to build a crate or something, IDK,, They Do have to do some work, but how much of that should just be included in selling the used parts? It always bugs me to see an advert for something on TV, for a reasonable enough price, then they add shipping & "handling",, Handling, as in, paying someone to pull it off a shelf & put it in a box & address it & see to it it gets shipped, is a KNown Cost & should be just part of the price, Shipping is a variable, depending on where it is going, so, it shouldnt be part of the base price.

Charging someone to handle the part is kinda silly,, that otta just be part of the price quoted. I mean,, someone call NH from South Texas & asks how much for an engine, they really otta know right about that second they arent coming to pick it up.. & whatever labor they want to get paid for should be included in that price quote, & they should know the freight charges as soon as they know your Zip code..

Be wary, no need to be insulting, you may yet win.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/08/12 at 04:58:21

I shipped 146 lbs of transmission for 110 via FedEx. I've also put a FWD 5 speed car transmission on a pallet for 150 via local trucking company. 250 sounds like a lot.

--Steve

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/08/12 at 05:04:29

For those of us that do this as a hobby......just seling our extra parts and cutting our expenses is our goal.  If we have to build a crate and haul it to a trucking company for no pay......we do it.  It is part of what we do for fun.

For a business trying to take apart motorcycles and sell them at a profit - they may have to recover their labor and materials costs to package a large item that can't be stuffed into a normal cardboard box.  The amount of time and material necessary to build a crate to secure a 100 pound engine may be significant.  It may also require that they drive somewhere to drop the engine off to a LTL carrier.....I am not sure that UPS or FedEx can handle a 100 pound engine and crate as that is getting beyond what can be picked up by hand.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/08/12 at 05:08:24

FedEx's limit is 150 lbs Tongue

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/08/12 at 07:27:51

Dave wrote on 05/08/12 at 05:04:29:
For those of us that do this as a hobby......just seling our extra parts and cutting our expenses is our goal.  If we have to build a crate and haul it to a trucking company for no pay......we do it.  It is part of what we do for fun.

For a business trying to take apart motorcycles and sell them at a profit - they may have to recover their labor and materials costs to package a large item that can't be stuffed into a normal cardboard box.  The amount of time and material necessary to build a crate to secure a 100 pound engine may be significant.  It may also require that they drive somewhere to drop the engine off to a LTL carrier.....I am not sure that UPS or FedEx can handle a 100 pound engine and crate as that is getting beyond what can be picked up by hand.  

All true, but, a motorcycle bone yard is set up to ship things that people need. I would expect UPS to take it if they offered to load it. I would expect a company that breaks down old bikes to be prepared to ship an engine, they are hop[ing & praying to sell them, they sell parts,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:23:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650 engine weight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.