babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Intermittent problems
05/07/12 at 08:37:09

My step-son finally took some initiative and got the '87 back on the road.  I can't rememeber everything we did to that bike, its been a while, but the latest issue is it will die for seemingly no reason.  Let it rest for just a few minutes and it will finally fire back up.  Gonna take a look at the petcock tonite, but wondering your thoughts of other things we might check?  Maybe a sticky slide?  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Intermittent problems
Reply #1 - 05/07/12 at 08:45:16

Do you have an indication if it is fuel or electrical?  Fuel problems tend to happen by it surging or faultering a bit before it finally dies - electrical most often is sudden.

How long does it take for the problem to first show up?  Does it happen faster if climbing a hill or under power?

Have you tried turning the petcock to "PRIME" when this happens and see if it runs?

If it is fuel related - I would first remove the fuel line and let it flow into a gas can (PRIME POSITION) and see if the flow is steady and continuous.  If not - I would try loosening the gas cap and see if the problem is the vent in the fuel tank.  If loosening the cap does not change the flow - then it is time to take the petcock out and see if it is plugged or the diaphagm is stiff and not working.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/07/12 at 08:50:19

Check the sidestand,and clutch lever safety cut-outs...

I've had both go bonky...

Disconnect and clean connectors, or you can by-pass them by connecting the two wires together...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/07/12 at 08:53:00

most likely petcock, but check the wiring connectors, break and make them.

not a sticky slide, that won't kill it.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 05/07/12 at 08:53:04

Dave wrote on 05/07/12 at 08:45:16:
Do you have an indiction if it is fuel or electrical?  Fuel problems tend to happen by it surging or faultering a bit before it finally dies - electrical most often is sudden.

I would try loosening the gas cap and see if the problem is the vent in the fuel tank.

Good point, I'll have to find out how it dies.  We've been assuming fuel but you could be on to something.  

Hubby did ask him to open the gas cap and see if it had pressure on it.  It didn't, or at least he said it didn't.  Will look at that again too.  Thanks!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 05/07/12 at 08:56:57

Serowbot wrote on 05/07/12 at 08:50:19:
Check the sidestand,and clutch lever safety cut-outs...

I've had both go bonky...

Disconnect and clean connectors, or you can by-pass them by connecting the two wires together...

But it takes a few tries to get it started again.  If it were just cutting out, it seems to me it would fire right back up.  ??

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 05/07/12 at 09:03:37

His maiden ride to work on it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/07/12 at 09:05:43

You seem to be describing some of the classical vac petcock symptoms.

Do the Serowbot test and tell us what happens.

linky linky below

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

List of Things That Tell You It May Be Raptor Time

1)  Your bike stumbles or acts like it is running out of gas when you are going over 55 mph and then when you get to the pump you can't put in 2 full gallons of gasoline.

2)  Your bike dies on you and you play bloody hell getting it to start again (you can't get any gas from your sick vac petcock no matter what you do to try to get it to start).

3)  When you get a reserve situation and roll the vac petcock toggle to Reserve, the bike continues to stumble for nearly a minute before slowly picking up some power and speed as you struggle to get to a gas station.

4)  You get all sorts of abrupt indications your carburetor is dirty or your jetting suddenly went off (and you haven't changed your exhaust system or air filter system).   Especially applies if SeaFoam, etc has NO EFFECT on your "carburetor issues" whatsoever when you try it.

5)  You smell gasoline either coming from your vac suction line, your airbox or from your oil fill port when you unscrew it (so you can sniff your oil in the sump for the scent of gasoline) because you suspect you have one of the above going on and "it may be Raptor Time".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:21:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intermittent problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.