Send Topic Print
Summer safety gear? (Read 428 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Summer safety gear?
05/06/12 at 23:32:05

Although I'd love to ride in a short sleeve shirt and denim shorts, as a new biker that's probably not the best choice.  I'm just curious about what newer bikers use when it's hot outside.  Helmet is assumed of course...I'm using a full-face helmet now, although I like the 3/4 better (I may switch to a 3/4 after getting some more miles and experience under my belt.)

I've picked up some mesh riding pants (to go over whatever pants or shorts I'm already wearing) that have armor in the knees...they are surprisingly cool, but quite a pain to put on and take off (have to take the shoes off). I'm wishing there were some mesh chaps with the armor built into important areas.  In the summer, I'm usually in denim shorts, so something easy to put on/take off would be great, but I think leather chaps are going to be way too hot. Anyone know of some mesh chaps with body armor?

I've been using a leather jacket, but it's just too hot in this NC sun.  Smiley  I'm trying to figure what riding jacket might be the best choice.  Something mesh that lets good airflow through.  I also think the elbow, shoulder, and forearm armor is an awefully good idea.  Just curious if anyone has any specific recommendations that are in a reasonable price range (like in $100 or less).

I'm using some close-fitting leather work gloves right now, but prob should think that over some too.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Summer safety gear?
Reply #1 - 05/06/12 at 23:43:49

My no.1 recommendation,.. do anything you want with any clothing, but keep the FF helmet...
Nothing is more important..  

I'd feel safer barefoot, in swim trunks with a FF,... than with all the armor clothes in the world, and a three quarter helmet...

FF helmet in a t-shirt, and I walked away (over 100f that day)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/07/12 at 00:04:58

A ff helmet with the visor open will give just as much ventilation as a 3/4.  Unless you're using goggles.

Armored mesh jacket and pants will give you plenty of ventilation.

leather gloves and boots are mandatory as far as I'm concerned.

WWW   IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #3 - 05/07/12 at 00:14:17

Good sense is often a great idea too. Thing is, many times the one that hits you doesn't have it, thats why you gotta think for the both of you.. Safe ridin' to you sir,

Roger

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #4 - 05/07/12 at 04:25:07

I'm in the exact same boat thinking about the same question.  I ALWAYS wear a FF helmet and will probably always will, not only for skull protection, but I've had decent sized moths hit my face mask at 60 mph and it makes quite a sound - I couldn't imagine taking the pain of that on my face while navigating a narrow country road with oncoming traffic.

I also always wear my black-and-white Tourmaster mesh jacket with the built-in armor, even if over just a t-shirt.  It's surprisingly cool when you're moving.

I feel the same way about mesh pants and have been thinking about leather or fabric chaps but just haven't found any I'm happy with for a reasonable price.  As it is, I wear my leg armor when it's under 75 but tend to just wear jeans when it hotter.

Good quality gloves are mandatory of course - your instincts will be to extend hands on a fall.

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 05/07/12 at 05:31:56

Wow...um..."nice"pic man. Glad you made it out fine.

So, why boots?  What do sneakers not provide that boots do?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #6 - 05/07/12 at 05:34:20

Dave Sisk wrote on 05/07/12 at 05:31:56:
Wow...um..."nice"pic man. Glad you made it out fine.

Cheers,
Dave

Ankle protection.  Otherwise they could grind down to the radius of your foot and calf in a slide.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 05/07/12 at 05:42:20

BelizeanBanman wrote on 05/07/12 at 00:14:17:
Good sense is often a great idea too. Thing is, many times the one that hits you doesn't have it, thats why you gotta think for the both of you.. Safe ridin' to you sir,

Roger

Hey man...very true.  I've driven various automobiles for almost 30 years...I had a couple minor accidents when I was a young driver, had no common sense, and used to drive like a crazy man. Wink  I think I learned my lessons, and I haven't had any accidents in 20+ years, including avoiding people who drive like I used to!  (Knock on wood.)  I'm hoping that instinct of being able to keep myself out of trouble transfers well to riding a motorcycle.  However, I know there's extra effort on a bike since people truly don't *see* you.  Regardless, safe riding to you too.

Btw, your username makes me ask...do you live in Belize?  Been through there, and would love to spend some time there.  Cool

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 05/07/12 at 05:45:08

Scott McCrory wrote on 05/07/12 at 05:34:20:

Cheers,
Dave

Ankle protection.  Otherwise they could grind down to the radius of your foot and calf in a slide.

Oh...uugh.  Guess I didn't think about that.  Boy, thanks for that mental picture...I think I'll look for some boots too.

Dave

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #9 - 05/07/12 at 06:00:42

Dave Sisk wrote on 05/07/12 at 05:45:08:
Scott McCrory wrote on 05/07/12 at 05:34:20:

Cheers,
Dave

Oh...uugh.  Guess I didn't think about that.  Boy, thanks for that mental picture...I think I'll look for some boots too.

Dave

Sorry about that  Embarrassed, but I totally respect that you're looking to mitigate risk and didn't want to be gentle with the reasoning passed on to me.  The good news is that you don't HAVE to spend a mint on Fryes or Italian racing gear (unless you need to justify it, then by all means!  Tongue).  I bought these at Wal-Mart on sale for $17, normally still under $30.  They're light, water resistant, don't look bad with jeans or black riding pants, and I walked around in them at the AMA museum yesterday for a couple hours without fatigue.  OTOH my brown Frye harness boots were much more expensive so I rarely subject them to the road!  Roll Eyes

IMG_1981.JPG

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #10 - 05/07/12 at 06:04:53

Perhaps spat (half) chaps would be a decent option?

http://www.coloradochaps.com/motorcycle_spats.html

Easy to get on and off, and much better than nothing, but alas they don't cover one's arse or hip bones.

IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #11 - 05/07/12 at 06:22:24

Dave Sisk wrote on 05/07/12 at 05:42:20:
BelizeanBanman wrote on 05/07/12 at 00:14:17:

Roger

Hey man...very true.  I've driven various automobiles for almost 30 years...I had a couple minor accidents when I was a young driver, had no common sense, and used to drive like a crazy man. Wink  I think I learned my lessons, and I haven't had any accidents in 20+ years, including avoiding people who drive like I used to!  (Knock on wood.)  I'm hoping that instinct of being able to keep myself out of trouble transfers well to riding a motorcycle.  However, I know there's extra effort on a bike since people truly don't *see* you.  Regardless, safe riding to you too.

Btw, your username makes me ask...do you live in Belize?  Been through there, and would love to spend some time there.  Cool

Cheers,
Dave

Yes sir, thats where I'm from. We have some excellent roads for cruising. I don't know if you've been on this road, but you should check out the Hummingbird highway the next time you come Smiley

The common sense thing is something my brother told me. He was in an accident once, wrecked his classic 750 Honda Shadow. Gotta be careful in this country

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/07/12 at 06:25:33

I don't care how hot it is out , I always wear my Bell Star FF helmet, my Icon mesh jacket with armor, and my Alpinestars Scheme armored gloves. By the way, I just picked up those Alpinestars Scheme gloves- they are really nice- fully armored with kevlar and plastic but very lightweight and they breath very well in summer.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/07/12 at 07:08:51

Best safety equipment you have is between your ears..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/07/12 at 07:11:32

Dave,
New rider here and want all the protection I can get. Watch the sales on-line. I picked up a Fieldsheer armor mesh jacket in hi-viz yellow, Fieldsheer mesh armor pants, and a Bell full face helmet for about $275 total. Nobody sells motorcycle boots in my size, 13 AAA. Found an Army surplus site and got a pair of hot weather desert tan boots in my size for $14 bucks. Had all the gear on a 70 mile ride yesterday, about 85 and humid and no problems at all.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Summer safety gear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.