Pod Filter question (Read 363 times)
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Pod Filter question
05/06/12 at 06:37:28

Looking for any opinions on a pod filter.  Looking at this one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Savage-Boulevard-S40-Pod-air-filter-chrome-/33...(for the price obviously).  Concerned that because it is an oilles filter that it will let in smaller drud and dust and muck up the engine.  Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.  Right now I'm running a modded/opened Dyna muffler with a stock air box.  Looking to open up the intake end if it'll get me a little more bang out of the engine.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: Pod Filter question
Reply #1 - 05/06/12 at 08:14:41

I tried using similar filters. to me they didn't like. We have a very dusty roads and these filters are completely overwhelmed. Some dust fall into the carburetor on my motorcycle.
Sorry if wrong translated and understood your question.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #2 - 05/06/12 at 11:58:57

I have a pod filter on my bike and while I love the looks of it and the sound coming from the intake, I'm thinking I'm probably gonna be putting the stock setup back in because I've lost quite a bit of low end torque since the switch.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 05/07/12 at 06:09:38

So this mod would actually decrease the power on the low end?  Does it give you more top end power? Cruising power?  I know it's better to open up both ends if you change one, but is there a real benefit (other than looks) to this mod?  I thought less restriction would get me a couple more hp...

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 05/07/12 at 08:25:33

I installed the very same pod on my 2000.  I have not lost any low end power, or top end.

If you are worried about the filter filtering without oil, but a bottle of the spray in K&N, and lightly spray the filter.  That's what I did.

You may want to consider changing the jetting to a 155 main and a 55 vented pilot.  I have the jets, just have not done them yet.  Bike runs fine.  Accelerates fine,  stops fine, and actually got rid of the "poof fart" when stopping the engine.

BTW, my pipe is the stocker, cut off just below the front of the right side case, then extended with some stock from Auto Zone, and a crappy welding job by yours truly.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 05/07/12 at 08:32:33

I know this is simple, but it has to be stated again. Your engine is a big air pump. Incoming and outgoing must flow smoothly through all ranges, with most being a compromise to get others. You are leaving out a main point of constriction, the carburetor. I put on an HD muffler and adjusted the carb screw. Now I have good range 50-80 mph with a loss of some low end. I need to open up my air and increase my carb jet sizes slightly. But I get 53 mpg all the time and near 60 riding the speed limit with no abrupt throttle twisting.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 05/08/12 at 06:08:29

@2stroke:  Thanks, I would worry about it at some times of the year.  We get a TON of pollen at certain times of the year here in NC and I don't want that crap gumming up the engine.  Maybe I could use some of that spray.  You said you have that exact filter, is does it have ANY foam or anything on the inside or is it just the SS mesh wrap around the cone?
Also, I increased my jetting when I did the Dyna install, and adjusted to where I have great power and get pretty good mpg's.  Pretty sure I'm at 155/55 w/bleed, runs pretty good.

@Boofer:  Forgive me, I'm not sure I'm getting it.  I'm understanding that the engine pumps in the air it needs, and that the main factor in how much it'll get is by how much the carb lets in based on the throttle opening up the airway.  I guess I was just under the impression that reducing the restriction by bypassing the air box allowed air to flow more freely and that allowed the engine to breath better on its own. Sorry if I'm completely off.  This bike is my introduction into the workings of engines and mechanics, so >95% of my knowledge has come from here.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 05/08/12 at 06:19:27

Alpha - I am in VA, so i understand the pollen thing - - - the filter is simply the mesh and SS.  I just lightly sprayed the outside with K&N's spray.  Should be fine.

Sounds like you have the carb dialed.  Maybe you need the increased intake with your Dyna setup.  I don't know, as I have not done that swap.  It def. worth the 10 bucks or so to install the pod and see what happens.  That's what I would do.

If that doesn't help.....I dunno mang.  Motors are pretty basic.  They need air, spark, and fuel.  Start tracing all those things.

Have you pulled the plug by chance?  I had an old CR250 that would sputter at WOT in 4th and 5th.  Changed to a hotter plug and it stopped.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 05/08/12 at 11:43:56

Not sure I need the pod, but I do like the look and if it gives me some extra power, how can that be a bad thing? Cool

Not having any problems running it at all.  Starts up with no choke, and runs great.  Just looking for more power and looks.  Wondered if anyone had used the cheapy pod, or if I should buy the better (read: more expensive) pod type.  Think you convinced me to give it a shot for $10, and I'll try the outside with some k&N spray.  See how it goes.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 05/08/12 at 12:09:30

I added one just like that to mine and didn't notice any loss of low-end. I did notice the change on the intake sound though...much more throaty  Grin I LIKE IT  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/08/12 at 17:46:50

similar to what i have
and i dont knotice any loss in torque or power

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home