Send Topic Print
Running poorly (Read 245 times)
zachap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Running poorly
Reply #15 - 05/06/12 at 14:26:00

OK, did the white space mod and the bike barely runs.  It misses and sputters across the entire throttle range without even being under load.  It won't run at all without the choke, just stalls right out.  Smells like it's running really rich.

Here's everything I have tried so far:
New Plug
Check air filter
Removed petcock and blew out filter
Seafoam in the gas tank
Removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled carb.  Checked all jets for clogs, etc.  
Replaced white space with 1/2 size spacer
Removed vacuum line and ran with petcock on prime

Still no improvement.  It feels like the engine is choking out when I give it a little throttle.  Runs much better with the choke out.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 05/06/12 at 14:51:48

Lots of confused signals here -- it acts like it is running very rich but it won't run at all unless the choke is providing extra gasoline???

Quick questions:  

How much seafoam did you put in how much gasoline?

How did you block off the vac port on the carburetor?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 05/06/12 at 14:54:23

zachap wrote on 05/06/12 at 14:26:00:
O

You must block the vacuum tap on the carb as well...
Assuming you did,.. and still runs bad...

We have had issues before, with people accidentally filling up with diesel...
... or, even possible station putting diesel in their tanks...
So,... I recommend you drain your tank and fill up fresh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 05/06/12 at 14:58:01

I agreee,, time to know your enemy.. right now, its not perfectly certain iots not the gas & thats an easy thing to be certain of.

& I was wondering about how much Seafoam, too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #19 - 05/06/12 at 15:00:01

Serowbot wrote on 05/06/12 at 14:54:23:
We have had issues before, with people accidentally filling up with diesel...

Will the bike even run? Does diesel burn when the plug fires? I don't know enough about it but now am curious.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 05/06/12 at 15:12:14

Reports have been,.. that it runs awful...  but if the station, or you, topped a half full tank,.. who knows?...
I just think it's worth a try before you go further... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #21 - 05/06/12 at 15:30:34

Serowbot wrote on 05/06/12 at 15:12:14:
Reports have been,.. that it runs awful...  but if the station, or you, topped a half full tank,.. who knows?...
I just think it's worth a try before you go further... Wink...

I am not questioning your advice. I was just wondering. I see your point about topping off the tank.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
zachap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/06/12 at 15:32:09

Sorry for all the confusion.  The beginning of my last post was supposed to be deleted but it ended up there anyway!  I had actually put it back together without the spring on the needle jet.  (I'm getting really good at getting the carb off!)  No wonder it ran worse!!  Got it put back in but it is still running like it's choking out and hesitating.  No improvement from the original problem.  At this point it idles fine but as soon as I give it some gas you can hear it miss and hesitate.  Gets better when the choke is on but not perfect.

To answer all the previous questions:
I did drain the tank and put in fresh gas.  (Forgot to put it on the list!)
I plugged the vacuum tap on the carb when I tested for vacuum issues.
I'm sure it's not diesel fuel in the tank!
1.5 oz of Seafoam into a half full tank of gas.

Again, these are the things I've tried.

New Plug
Check air filter
Removed petcock and blew out filter
Seafoam in the gas tank
Removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled carb.  Checked all jets for clogs, etc.  
Replaced white space with 1/2 size spacer

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 05/06/12 at 21:15:36

Here's a thought.   Look at your petcock lever while it is in "Prime" like you have been using it -- notice that little cast-in-place arrow pointer symbol on the lever itself, where is that little cast-in-place arrow pointing towards?

The little arrow is the function indicator, not the lever itself.

Yet one more reason we all tend to hate the stock vac actuated petcock.  If he got caught out by this nasty little misdirection that is another whole set of repairs caused by the inherent flaws & defects in the stock vac actuated petcock arrangement.

I am beginning to get reluctant to even talk to newbies about their "funny running issues" unless they have removed the stock vac petcock completely.   Can't seem to separate the different layers of petcock woes from the real carb issues that they may also have.

« Last Edit: 05/06/12 at 23:22:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - 05/07/12 at 08:47:32

zachap wrote on 05/06/12 at 06:34:41:
I am the new owner of a 2007 S40.  The bike idles great and seems to do fine under hard acceleration.  The problem is that when riding at a consistent speed (partial throttle), the bike sputters and jerks.  It runs better with the choke on.  I have run it for quite a while to make sure it's good and warmed up the it makes no difference.  I have changed the plug, checked for vacuum leaks, checked and cleaned the air filter and this week I pulled the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning.  No change...  The bike has 7,500 miles on it.  Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

After reading all the replies, here are my thoughts:

You don't seem to be a NOOB as someone suggested.

What kind of gas are you putting in?  Try to run E free if you can.  If you can't, run 91 or better.  You'd be surprised in the difference.

I think you may need to clean your main jet again.  I would spend the 3 bucks on a new one.

I would think it's a pretty simple issue, and maybe when you cleaned the carb you missed a little in the jets.  

I can't imagine that you need to add spacers or a different spring or stand on your head while starting.......

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
zachap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 05/07/12 at 14:25:32

Well, got home from work today, pulled the top off the carb (I was able to do without taking the carb off the bike) removed one of the two washers I had put on the needle so now I'm at about 1/4 of the size of the original white washer.  Put it back together, fired it up and it runs very nicely!  Just got back from a nice 15 minute ride with no issues!!

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice.  I hope I can return the favor one day.

Happy riding!   Cheesy

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 05/07/12 at 16:26:30

I should have gotten in on this earlier maybe.
The way the problem was originally explained, was EXACTLY like mine was when I bought it used w/ 3k. After reading a lot of info here, I knew my best shot was the white spacer mod. And like I posted a hunered times, it fixed it 99.99%. I'm glad it fixed your VERY SAME problem too.

Its just too bad that they (whothehellever) did away w/ the notch adjustment in the metering rod. I have never had a bike yet where the light load throttle section didn't need adjusting.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running poorly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.