Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Howdy Folks! (Read 368 times)
mbullen
Ex Member

Howdy Folks!
05/05/12 at 08:10:34

Mornin' y'all.  I've been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks now.  I thought it was high time I introduced myself.  Actually I was waiting until my little Savage build was far enough along to give you guys a pic of my version of the Savage beast.  This is my little work commuter / mountain rider.  Very close to where I want her.  It's a '95 with 19k and rising.  Love it! Just a few more tweaks and I'm gonna call her done.  ...for now.  A couple of the parts are BCB (I can't fab that kind of quality seat pan on my carport).  I couple of the parts are auto store repurpose.  All of the parts AND build is hovering around $2k!  How can you beat that?!  That's a LOT of fun for the money.
Salute to the suzukisavage.com guys.  What a wealth of information! So glad I found you guys!
Cheers from upper East Tennessee!
Mark

823.JPG
  IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Re: Howdy Folks!
Reply #1 - 05/05/12 at 08:12:11

...and the other side...

822.JPG
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - 05/05/12 at 08:14:43

Welcome! That is a really nice lookin' ride.
I really dig that red exhaust. The whole paint scheme is great.

IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/12 at 08:22:08

Thanks Fish!  The exhaust is a 31" Thrush.  LOUD.  It'll ripple your britches if you stand behind it.  The paint is not really paint.  That's a plasti-dip liquid through a Wagner.  I've actually changed colors three times in a couple of weeks.  5 bolts and peel and spray.  I think I'm gonna ride the red for a while now, though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/05/12 at 11:24:04

I guess since its at 19,000 the cam chain has been done,,
Pretty economical ride, ehh? Looks good, Gotta love that Thrush,
You got it all jetted & such?

That's a plasti-dip liquid through a Wagner.

I did not KNow that was possible! How in the WOrld do you clean that Wagner? I had one & discovered I hated painting soooo badly, I gave it away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/05/12 at 11:51:20

Ahhh yes.  Jetting.  Somehow I knew that would be the first question.  The short answer is....I'm still chasing it.  The guy I got the bike from had already re-jetted for a straight slash-cut.  The glasspack gave me close to the same length with a little better back pressure. Still loud, but it's directed away from me now. I also went to a higher flow panel filter. Anyway, it's not exactly dialed in, but it's livable.  I'm still not sold on the set-up...I may go back to the cast-offs...but I'm liking the conversation the glasspack makes out on the road.  Ironically, that very experiment was how I found this fantastic site!  As soon as I put the Thrush on, I started having problems. In the end, it was the vacuum petcock, but the crazy timing of events had me herding cats for three days!  ....raptor.....who would have known?!  Whomever figured that one out the first time deserves a medal!

As far as the Plasti-Dip goes, Naptha is the secret.  Check out the guys at dipyourcar.com (<--not sure if that will auto-link or not, sorry).  That stuff is addicting!  I just checked out some of their how-to videos and started spraying everything I own!  It peels right off if you don't like it. What a blast!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/05/12 at 13:44:59

herding cats for three days!

Thats a high level of frustration right there,,fella needs a high powered pellet gun,,

It peels right off if you don't like it.

Allright! Automotive makeup,, Motorcycle Maybelline.

Williams, in his early 20s, noticed his younger sister applying a mixture of Vaseline and coal dust to her eyelashes to give them a darker, fuller look. He adapted it in his small laboratory and produced a product sold locally called Lash-Brow-Ine. The product was a local hit, but the awkward name held it back. His sister, who inspired the product, was named Maybel. So T.L. Williams renamed it Maybelline, a combination of Maybel and Vaseline.

Dont like it? Take it off & try again,, I LOVE it,, YOu can get a color wheel & mix your own,, you know, blue/yellow= green, red/blue=purple,Maybe dump some in the pot & dont stir it?

Kinda expensive stuff, tho, innitt?

YOu know the cam chain is good, right? Valves are set okay?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/05/12 at 14:06:01

Ha! Nice.  But then again, I'm a sucker for any story with a girl named Maybelle.  

Yeah, that dip is a little pricey...but what price fun?  I've bought the gallon size, but they have black, white, and red in rattle cans, too.  Plus glossy coats and "metalizers".  Can't wait to try some of that craziness!

now...cam chain.  I've been told that it had been replaced.....I think I may leave it at that for now.  I did the ol' screwdriver/stethoscope diagnostic and it wasn't slapping around.  I'm going to try to get through the summer as is, I think.  This thing has a bunch of unknown miles on it, and every time I tear something apart, I strip a bolt or create three other problems.  She's been put up wet a few times.  But it was cheap.  I checked the valves day 1 and they were spot-on, so my confidence level in the seller is going up. I've enjoyed wrenching on it so much, though, I may spring for a low-mile bike if one falls in my lap.  I've owned many bikes in the past and this Savage is as much fun as any!  Especially for sub-urban assault!  Currently, I still have a Sportster and a old Benelli 125.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #8 - 05/05/12 at 14:32:18

I'm seeing dita von teese modeling ontop of that bike, nice work.

Cool

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/05/12 at 14:45:26

geez.....I am too, now.  Thanks!!  I may have to take that and run with it as my own, if ya don't mind... WinkStimpy - FSO wrote on 05/05/12 at 14:32:18:
I'm seeing dita von teese modeling ontop of that bike, nice work.

Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/05/12 at 16:36:23

Hello? Cam chain? Id sure hate to see a newbie go to walkin & partin out a junk bike.

IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/05/12 at 17:12:35

Dude!  There's no such thing as a junk bike!  Turds....maybe.  Hard to put a shine on those.  Anyway.  Yeah, yeah.  Roger that.  Loud and clear.  I've never been much on walkin'.  Just letting that fresh oil change collect a little bit more evidence...actually, I'm having too much fun to park it for another tear-down in the immediate future.  If I break it, I'll fix it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/05/12 at 20:17:08

You wont be too likely to fix it if the cam chain tensioner gets away,,nearly always a fatality,.at 19,000, its probably been done, or, its in serious need,

IP Logged
mbullen
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/05/12 at 21:10:31

Wow.  Interesting outlook. Maybe we should define "fatal". Let's just say that I'm confident in my instinct.  Heck, I've been blowing motors in one way or another for over 30 years! ...even competitively for a few of those years.

Ehhh.  Sorry.  Nothing personal, mind you. I realize you're just looking out for another "newbie".  I completely understand the tensioner's role and it's importance.  I also understand that further investigation is needed and it will happen in due time.  Meanwhile, I've found nothing to indicate that the seller was untruthful or incompetent.  Ridden hard doesn't always mean abused.  If I thrash it, I'll plug another motor in it and grin sheepishly for a while...Like I said...it was cheap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/05/12 at 21:57:08

No way for me to know your level of expertise or willingness to play close to the fire,, no pain,, have fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Howdy Folks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.