Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike? (Read 651 times)
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike?
05/04/12 at 20:07:04

And if so, whats the story behind it?
I'm taking msf course tomorrow and by Monday I will be street legal!
I was just wondering if any body has ever one down in their bike, and if so what happened? What could you have done to prevent it? Or what would you have changed?

Again thanks for everyone for helping me out on my road to safe riding!

« Last Edit: 05/07/12 at 16:43:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Have any of you guys ever gone down?
Reply #1 - 05/04/12 at 20:17:51

Let's see.. in chronological order...

If you are a kid on a dirt bike, look both ways before crossing the street.

If a driver is sitting there as if to wait for you to pass, don't assume they see you and won't pull out and T-bone you.

Cold tires slip unexpectedly at surprisingly slow speeds. A motard with the acclaimed "Avon Distanzias" will still dump you on your ass if you do not allow the tires to warm up.

If you see your wife and kid outside watching you come home on your bike, don't be too big of a jackass riding wheelies up and down the street.

Dang I wish I'd heeded that advice, would have saved me a lot of grief.  Roll Eyes

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/04/12 at 20:51:47

When I was very young, a cadillac made a left turn right in front of me,... on a Honda 90. I nailed it in the RF front fender, but I dove over the hood......landed on pavement. A couple hrs in the hospital w/ a busted nose, and a broke wrist, I was out and about. I got a few bucks outta that one. But to this day, (50 yrs later) when I meet a left turn signal on, I darn near come to a stop,..... I don't trust anyone.....anytime, but especially those left turners !

« Last Edit: 05/05/12 at 06:23:22 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/04/12 at 20:53:15

The front brake is a wonderful tool for slowing down quickly. Applied, even the SLIGHTEST in a "Compromised traction" situation, like, say, on a gravel road, or rolling slowly to a stop sign & theres sand in the road,, & by Slowly, I mean so slow that when that guy touched that front brake to finish the stop, his bike dropped from under him like he was riding a dog & someone shot it out from under him,, & he was standing there with the bike on its side between his feet,, I saw the whole thing,, yes I did,,
Boy that felt weird,, & I felt stupid standing there.

I was setting up to turn around on a gravel road,, slow, not over 10 MPH,.,I Touched the front brake & went down so fast my feet were still on the pegs when I stopped sliding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 05/04/12 at 22:12:15

I've tried it few times , but didn't like it !

Once (ridding through Cherakee, NC.) we got seperated in summer bumper-to-bumper trafic .   While trying to catch-up with someone who was not really in front but had truned off to wait, I got in a hurry.

I had a Honda CD 175 (single carb. twin).   Traffic was going 20 or 30 mph and a strait-a-way with no on-comming traffic came into view .  Hot Dog !!!!       Passed three car  , (just like Zuk and OldFeller do)  went into a blind right hand curve ... Well there was a spring running accross the road about half-way into the curve.!!@#$%%&^%$)(*&^ kinda like some gravel we found last summer...   The front tire didn't slide Yeeeehaa!!!  but when the back tire hit the wet spot it passed the front tire ,  slid really good ,no jerky stuff !   But when the back tire got on dry pavement again it found traction.   At this point the bike is pointing back where it just came from ... the back tire is going forward in third gear and the momentem of the bike is still going in its  original direction ... What do you think happened ???  

Must have been my lucky day, there was a roadside pull-off for me to land on.   The frontend came up so fast it did a back-flip and landed both tires on the ground at the same time then bounced over and bent the handlebars as it hit the ground ... I landed beside it (God had future plans for me).   Well ... the motor was still running so I jumped up hopped on and would have not even lost my place in front of the cars I just passed but the shifter was bent too !   So by time the shifter was functionable again I had lost a few places in traffic line.  

Some days its just hard to win !

Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/04/12 at 22:17:24

WOW!  & all before You Tube I guess,.. That gave me a great mental image, glad you made the whole flip.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 05/05/12 at 03:00:53

Turning at an intersection in early spring after a fairly heavy rain there was some standing water. What I couldn't see was a large pile of gravel and other crap from snow plows had built up there and the water was covering it. Aside from some bits on the bike I ended up with two broken ribs and a very bruised ego. Took a couple months for the ribs to heal but I'm not sure the ego ever will.

Moral of the story, don't assume it's just a puddle of water.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 05/05/12 at 06:31:28

Oh, I forgot about those low speed fall overs !

Once just like Jog seen,......I was making a very low speed U turn on sandy pavement,......touched front brake,.....not good.

And how could I forget this one,.............
my bike fell over dam near on top of me while I was standing on my head checking my oil,.....doing it the very stupid SUZUSKI way !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Kiran
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/05/12 at 06:48:45

Only accident I've had of any significance was when I was 16, riding a dirt bike around a field with a friend.  There was plenty of room, but somehow we managed to ride into each other.  My right knee got whacked pretty good, I couldn't walk for a few days.  I still have the scars.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 05/05/12 at 07:30:03

1973: Hopped on my wife's little Suzi step-through to go to the store to get a quart of milk. In shorts, sandals and a t shirt. (I was only going a couple of blocks, right?) The city had started a repair at the entrance to the plaza and left it with oil and p-gravel on it. Down I went, slid about 20' on my side. Got the bike up, straightened a bent foot peg by kicking it, and went on my way to the store. I must have been a bit shocky because I failed to notice that blood was dripping off my fingers, running down my leg, and the place between my big toe and the next one was split open. That sandal was gone too. I went to the back and got the milk, and while I was paying for it, I noticed my hand was all bloody and asked for some band aids too. The teen aged girl behind the counter looked a bit pale but got them for me. Got on the bike and drove home, where my wife had me stand in a cold shower to stop the bleeding while she picked bits of road out of my arm and leg with tweezers. Then off to the hospital to get the web (?) between my toes stitched up.
I ave a peppering of barely noticeable scars on my arm and leg and between my toes.
Needless to say ATGATT from then on.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/05/12 at 08:03:10

Most experienced riders have gone down...

The saying goes,... There are two kinds of riders,... those that have gone down, and those that will go down"...

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 05/07/12 at 17:12:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #11 - 05/05/12 at 08:11:21

I've only been riding for 13months and barely 11,000miles.
No lay downs or drops, yet.

But now I'm in that dangerous period from 1-3 years of riding where it's likely that I'll feel brave and think I know more than I do, and go beyond my limits. I know I've been pushing those limits further and further for the past few months.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #12 - 05/05/12 at 08:32:54

Ok, I'll bite. Mine is rather shameful:

My buddy got a job bartending this joint a few miles from my house (I bet you know where this is going), so one night my buddies and I decide to meet up there and hang out. It was a nice night, so I take my bike over a car or a bus (mistake #1). I swore myself to three drinks over two hours, as that should be manageable (mistake #2). We get to the bar, sit down in front of my buddy the bartender, and all of the sudden those three drinks became closer to six or eight, and they were a lot more rum than coke. Of course, by this time judgement had flown out the window, but for some reason I remembered my two hour rule, so sloppy as a mule in a mud puddle, I hop on my bike parked on the side of the street. Fire her up, pull out, and instantly fall over. Probably made it 10 feet. That particular bar had a patio filled with drunk patrons who were more than happy to point, laugh, and jeer. add some anger and embarrassment to my drunk a** and i hopped back on (so stupid!) and rode home.

The next day I felt about as bad as you could feel, knowing you laid your bike down doing something illegal and stupid. oh, and I was hung over something good.

The weird part? not a scratch on me or my bike. I looked over her up and down but nothing was amiss. if the embarassment wasn't so vivid in my memory, i'd question that this ever even happened.

Moral of the story: when you go out with your buddies, you're going to drink more than you plan on it. Don't plan on driving home.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
jimbobbert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/05/12 at 09:27:03

been riding since 1991, (i was Four...) racing dirt since i was 14, as well as the street off-and-on from the same time. (my first bike, a 1984 SL125 when i was a Sophomore, spent more time under the wrench than actually running  Roll Eyes )
You can't count the Motocross or Desert wrecks, but on pavement i've been down once- and it led to me buying the Savage i was riding. See i was house-sitting for a friend while he was away, and he told me to "ride the $#!7 out of that little thing" - the 'little thing', of course, being the scuffed up, already-been-dropped-several-times,  not so pretty 2001 Savage he got for his wife to learn on. I thought what the heck, it will be cheaper than my truck on gas, and it's excellent riding weather in Georgia in the summer time! only problem was all that gravel and dirt in the flat left hander at fifty-five miles an hour. i got slowed down a little, but by the time i got in the sand/gravel death mix, the ol' savage wasn't wanting to turn any more and that barb-wire fence was coming up fast. So I hit the eject button. Well, all my moto training paid off in learning how to crash, because before the bike stopped rolling i was on my feet chasing after it. it landed upside down on the handlebars like you used to do when you needed to change a tire on a bicycle, and wouldn't you know, it was still trying to run. i flipped it over, kicked the bars straight and stabbed the start button to get it re-lit after flipping it back over, kicked down to first gear and took off out of there to get back to the house before anyone saw me. the bars were mangled, the right mirror wouldn't stay up, it kept swinging down and smacking my hurt wrist, the left footpeg was permanently folded up, and it broke off the steering stop. got 'er home and laid in bed for the next day and a half. I somehow got road rash through my jeans, even though there wasn't a mark on them. Tee shirt wasn't much protection, but my excellent tuck-and-roll tactics kept the abrasion to a minimum. Leather steel-toes didn't do much for a 350 pound hunk of steel landing on my foot, xrays proved later i cracked something called a "tarsal", whatever that is  Roll Eyes i also sprained a wrist and "bruised" a rib. all this would be fine and dandy, if i didn't have to do my M4 qualification that monday, my wrist didn't like the abuse at ALL. after all was said and done, i fixed what i broke but there were some scratches on the metal and a dent in the tank, plus the steering stop broken, that i couldn't fix at the time. My friend had no problem with me dumping it, but wanted it fixed so he could sell it. I simply offered to buy it for the cheap transportation- and now i'm here! funny how stuff works like that.

Moral of the story: Don't ride a cruiser like a sportbike, especially in limited traction conditions!  Wink

Rob

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 05/05/12 at 09:47:52

jimbobbert wrote on 05/05/12 at 09:27:03:
Moral of the story: Don't ride a cruiser like a sportbike, especially in limited traction conditions!  Wink

Rob

Don't even ride a sportbike like a sportbike...  Huh...
They crash too,.. only faster...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:34:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.