Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike? (Read 651 times)
mybtr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike?
Reply #45 - 05/11/12 at 20:30:21

Driving down a major street in my city and someone pulled out in front of me slammed on the breaks and stopped just in time!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #46 - 05/27/12 at 12:42:22

Had a deer jump outta the bushes right in front of me on a Yamaha Venture at June Lakes, CA.   Wasn't going fast (~50), but had very limited options: 1) hit an embankment on the left, 2) go into a lake on the right, or 3) lay the bike down and slide.   I chose number 3.   The deer jumped straight up in the air as me and bike slid under in a shower of sparks.   It's funny tho how everything really did slow down and allowed me to weigh my options.   I calculate I had about 1/2 second.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #47 - 05/27/12 at 18:18:35

Once in '88, twice in 2010 on the same day. (dammitol!) All on gravel. I've come to the conclusion that once riding, I should just never stop until I'm ready to get off for the day!  Cheesy

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #48 - 05/27/12 at 21:56:24

Southpaw

At least one of those in 2010 was that top-heavy duffle bag jerking ya around !  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #49 - 05/28/12 at 12:31:26

Once the very first day I bought the bike. Nervous as a cat because it had been over 20 years since I had ridden. Turning left at a stop on an uphill grade in a devolpment in the morning after a rain. Hit some gravel at less than 10 mph, panic grabbed the bars and dropped the front tire off the pavement onto the wet grass.

Headed straight for the hydrant and in an "oh sh*t" moment, kept the bike off the hydrant but not my leg. Even at 10 mph that was quite a shot, they really don't give that much.

Looks like I will be keeping the scar, but the bike was fine other than a broken taillight that hit the grass.  Sure got my attention.

Today at lunch had a teen girl on a cell phone pull over onto me.  I had just read the posts here, and was (thankfully) not riding in her blind spot. She just braked and turned left across a full lane to get into the turning lane to get into wal mart...........if i had been in the blind spot it would have been ugly.  was going about 25 mph at the time...it is a 35 mph zone....but sure would have hurt.

Safe ridin......I learn something every time out.

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #50 - 05/28/12 at 18:43:26

Not counting parking lot tipovers, dirt riding or the first time I rode my Enfield with the shift restored to my right foot, I still have to say, "Yes".

Coming home after some serious curve carving, I got dehydrated, fatigued and complacent and zoned out approaching the lone curve on a long straight road.  Rather than act definitively, I sort of rolled off the throttle and looked for the best piece of shoulder to kind of drift to a stop on.

Not a good idea:

I believe the arrow sign was upright before it caught my somewhat dimmed attention (yes, the bike goes where you look...):

Not really a soft landing zone:

Ruined a perfectly good helmet:

Final count:
Trashed helmet, trashed road sign, totaled bike (bent frame) and a chipped shoulder.  The ER doc was impressed by the armor on my Shift leather jacket and said he was definitely upgrading his jacket for his Victory.

Analysis:
Adrenaline that kicks in after a wreck doesn't do you a whole lot of good!
1.  Dehydration is sneaky and screws up your concentration -- make every gas stop a water stop!
2.  "Falling back on years of experience, I froze at the controls" is seldom the best action.  (This quote has been attributed to Sterling Moss, but other than other riders quoting it to each other I have not found the source.  Let me know if you find it.)
3.  The bike goes where you look, so look at the road, not the shoulder!
4.  Slamming on the brakes and coming to a stop in the middle of the road before the curve may be embarrassing, but it is neither painful nor fatal.
5.  "Crash bars" are for parking lot tipovers, not real crashes!
6.  Anti-lock brakes are no substitute for situational awareness!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #51 - 05/29/12 at 12:45:43

since we are all admitting our less than stellar moments i will tell on myself - not that these were anything that caused major injury other than to my ego, here we go:

on the 96 Savage about 18 months in to my riding carreer whikle running errands right before Christmas 2011 I was making a U-turn in front of my house to drop off a few of my picked-up-items and grabbed too much front brake with the front wheel turned slightly - and down i went doing my best beached whale impression in the middle of the road - only casualty was the box of garlic bread in the back-pack crushed but still edible - no damage to self or bike helmet did hit the road lightly.

and for the icing on the crash-cake

while trying to get the new bike (03 Honda Shadow) off the truck April 16, 2012 i lost my balance and did a 1/2 gainer off the side of the truck and nailed the landing on my face - the bike laid over in the truck and put a small dent in the right side of the gas tank and cracked the windshield....had not even ridden it yet just back from the 7 hour round trip to the other side of the state to pick her up......now i have dropped it so i have it out of my system, I HOPE!.

other than these two genius moments nothing bad to report.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:26:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.